|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellio

Default Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion

August 17th, 2012, 05:28
Rebellion Developments is suing Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games in an Eastern Michigan district court for trademark violation over the use of the word rebellion in the title of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

Rebellion is asking for damages for being "deprived of substantial sales of its products" and for "the value of its trademarks as commercial assets."
GameSpot notes: "Rebellion provided several examples where it claimed consumers would have been easily misled, including promotional materials which displayed the word 'Rebellion' much larger than the preceding 'Sins of a Solar Empire' and some that referred to the game only by the disputed trademark."
As I see it it's just another crazy trademark battle among others this year.

While were at it Star Wars Rebellion wants a word with both studios. In case no one remembers that was a rts space game from the early 2000's.

Here is the suit that was filed- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_zz…Z00/edit?pli=1

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 17th, 2012 at 09:49.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 17th, 2012, 05:45
Rebellion is such a common word, especially in fiction settings, that this is just ridiculous. Also, I've never heard of this studio, indicating that most gamers wouldn't confuse them. I hope Rebellion gets a kick in the nuts and goes back to work instead of mooching off others' hard work.

Korplem

Shipwreck

August 17th, 2012, 09:41
Do I need to ask where in the world this is going on?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 17th, 2012, 09:43
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Why the good ole USA were a man or in this case company can sue over anything.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 17th, 2012, 09:44
Next wars will be about Patents, Copyrights, and Trade Marks.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 17th, 2012, 14:05
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
So true. Why can't we spend time making laws about the amount of bend in our cucumbers like proper enlightened folk?

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 17th, 2012, 14:10
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
So true. Why can't we spend time making laws about the amount of bend in our cucumbers like proper enlightened folk?
It's going to be a long while before you get to a green mindset

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 17th, 2012, 15:08
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Next wars will be about Patents, Copyrights, and Trade Marks.
I seriously doubt that. There are a several much more likely factors much, such as access to resources, local or regional upheavals and destabilisation, conflicts of interest and so on. Compared to these Trade mark conflicts are peanuts.

pibbur who

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

August 17th, 2012, 15:59
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Because then others will bitch that the banana does not get the proper amount of attention, then the zucchini, and before you know it the entire produce section at your local supermarket will be involved in litigation. Salad bars would go out of business and the unemployment and crime rates would skyrocket. Is that what you want?

We satisfy our endless needs, and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny, and in the name of God.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

August 17th, 2012, 20:55
Yes another copyright troll, they should heed the warning of Tim "Edge" Langdell.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

August 17th, 2012, 23:08
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
I seriously doubt that. There are a several much more likely factors much, such as access to resources, local or regional upheavals and destabilisation, conflicts of interest and so on. Compared to these Trade mark conflicts are peanuts.

pibbur who
Yes, of course. But my view was partly rather cynical - but in fact Patents are indeed nowadays used as "weapons".

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 22nd, 2012, 18:19
Another example of how much the copyright goes out of control : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20…ingement-snafu

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 1st, 2013, 16:29
In upcoming days the intellectual property rights like will be about Patents, Copyrights, and Trade Marks will get more importance for business incorporation.

intellectual property attorneys
Last edited by ronaldo; January 4th, 2013 at 14:10.

ronaldo

Traveler

January 2nd, 2013, 16:58
Sometimes crap like this makes me want to go full capital "L" Libertarian. I really wonder what would happen if companies could only rely on their ability to actually perform in the marketplace.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

January 2nd, 2013, 17:34
"Market" means for some companies : "Creating a de facto monopoly or oligarchy and shutting out competors".

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellio