|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pricewatch!

Default Pricewatch!

September 1st, 2012, 00:42
Well, I did see a plastic preorder box in a different shop. Plastic, not steel.

What I found really odd, by the way, is that a "Release Party/Event" is scheduled to take place in a known concert hall (not for orchestal music) on the 24th of September - for the newest WOW Expansion.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 1st, 2012, 01:01
Gog is offering some great turnbased strategy games on sale. Check out Master of Magic and the Age of Wonders series.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 1st, 2012, 21:27
orgin.com has a 50% off sale on many titles through 9/5. Mass Effect 1,2,3; Witcher 2; Kingdoms of Amalur; Game of Thrones; The Secret World; Dragon Age 1,2; Two Worlds 2.

Nearly enough for me to get ME3 but doesn't include any dlc. I'm not sure EA really does bundles or GOY editions any more. Oh well, next time maybe. Probably believe there is more profit in selling a la cart years after the release.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

September 1st, 2012, 23:00
GoG has Pharoah:Cleopatra and Zeusoseidon on sale for dirt cheap! Pharoah is great, one of my first computer games. I never got around to Cleopatra tho.

Wonder if these games still hold up today?

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 1st, 2012, 23:19
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
GoG has Pharoah:Cleopatra and Zeusoseidon on sale for dirt cheap! Pharoah is great, one of my first computer games. I never got around to Cleopatra tho.

Wonder if these games still hold up today?
I tried Pharoah and Zeus again a year or two ago and thought they held up pretty well. The walker mechanic was more annoying than I remembered from when I first played them, though, and eventually I got a bit tired of the feeling that there was one proper layout I had to stick to, but that's hardly unusual in city-builders.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

September 1st, 2012, 23:52
I have both.

I didn't like Zeus as much as I liked Pharaoh, because in Zeus the Gods demand things to be built - at least in free-play mode. That annoyed me.

But Caesar III, Pharaoh, The First Emperor … I had spent NIGHTS with those !

Tilted Mill, made up by several members of the Impressions team, one day released Caesar IV … I have it, but I have never played it so far, unfortunately.
So I can't say anything on its quality.
I also have Children Of The Nile, which was imho quite fun to play - but different, since it was in 3D.

I just saw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilted_Mill_Entertainment that Tilted Mill was responsible for Hinterland, too.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 1st, 2012, 23:55
…which is an awesome, fun little game in itself

I think I'm going to go reinstall Hinterland now ='.'=

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 2nd, 2012, 00:32
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I also have Children Of The Nile, which was imho quite fun to play - but different, since it was in 3D.

I just saw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilted_Mill_Entertainment that Tilted Mill was responsible for Hinterland, too.
I think Children of the Nile is the best of the ancient city-builders, since it does away with a lot of the gamey abstraction of other games. A shrine doesn't have a magical effective radius, but if it's too far away, a person, who is an individual person with a family and thoughts, may skip work to visit it. As someone with a professional interest in the development of early towns, it's quite fun from a simulation standpoint.

It's a shame that Caesar IV went back to a more traditional system. It was still fun, but didn't feel as real as CotN.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

September 2nd, 2012, 01:13
Greenman gaming is offering a 30% discount on Darksiders 2 until tomorrow night.

Discount code is GMG30-916H7-0TG16

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e…darksiders-ii/

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 2nd, 2012, 12:08
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
As someone with a professional interest in the development of early towns,
You do ? Then please give me an overview of literature that could be fun to read.

Archaeology is my biggest hobby (next to writing), so I'm interested in anything about that.
I'm already a bit familiar with early settlements, so please don't expect me to be a newbie.

It shouldn't be too expensive, though. We have very high prices for scientific books here, I don't know if this is the same elsewhere, too.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 2nd, 2012, 13:30
I'll have to dig out some of my old notes. A lot of my stuff was focused on provisioning and, more specifically, butchery practices and changes in urban settings, so I probably don't have a lot of broadly interesting resources. Sadly, it's been a few years since I've had a chance to look at it, since I'm doing IT work on the periphery of archaeology at the moment.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

September 2nd, 2012, 13:33
Okay. Thank you for your efforts, if you manage to dig out somthing.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 2nd, 2012, 16:05
That Paradox bundle on Amazon is back. Steam keys for CK2 and some DLC, Victoria II, Magicka, Majesty 2, Majesty HD and Warlock all for $9.51 USD. If you aren't in the USA there's no problem with using a fake US billing address and then erasing it afterwards. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G0ZVLE

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

September 2nd, 2012, 21:12
Originally Posted by darkling View Post
That Paradox bundle on Amazon is back. Steam keys for CK2 and some DLC, Victoria II, Magicka, Majesty 2, Majesty HD and Warlock all for $9.51 USD. If you aren't in the USA there's no problem with using a fake US billing address and then erasing it afterwards. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G0ZVLE
Sounds like a great deal, considering how much people seem to like CK2. My backlog is reaching epic proportions…

abharsair

Grumpmaster
RPGWatch Donor

September 2nd, 2012, 22:23
Nice find! CK2 with a lots of DLC and Warlock. Downloading. But will I ever play them?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

September 3rd, 2012, 05:05
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Nice find! CK2 with a lots of DLC and Warlock. Downloading. But will I ever play them?
I wish they made a DLC bundle (the little ones like music and face packs) without the games

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

September 3rd, 2012, 06:58
They have a bundle with just the DLC from this pack and a few of the games, it's missing Victoria II, CK2, and the Magicka stuff but it is only 2 bucks cheaper. Kinda not worth it this time around, with the new pricing of the big bundle.

I filled out my CK2 DLC with Sword of Islam during the Steam sale. I bet there'll be a CK2 franchise weekend or daily deal on Steam sometime before or around the time of the next expansion this winter.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

September 3rd, 2012, 10:50
CK is still "Commander Keen" to me.
"Aliens ate my babysitter" ist just fun !

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 4th, 2012, 20:46
The Midweek Madness sale at Steam feature a Game of Thrones bundle at 66% off. You can get Game of Thrones and GoT-Genesis together for $23.80. You can also purchase them individually at 50% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16443/

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 4th, 2012, 23:31
It's not on sale, and it's not really an RPG, but Startopia is out on GOG. I think most people here would enjoy it.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Pricewatch!