|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Dark Souls PC Version

Default Dark Souls PC Version

September 13th, 2012, 06:33
Well I took the advice from some members here that perhaps I was overlooking a great game in Dark Souls PC version so I bought it today. The game seems ok but I think I just suck at boss battles. I can't even put a dent in the first boss monster. I've figured out that I need to stay behind him. But I struggle so much using a controller I'm just not good at using joysticks for movement and camera placement.

The best round I had with the first boss I managed to stay alive for over 5 full minutes but in all that time I only knocked out like 1/100th of his hitpoints. I don't think I will at all be successful with this game given this abysmal start.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,006

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 06:41
You're not supposed to beat the Asylum Demon the first time you encounter him.


Spoiler – .
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,011

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 08:32
I've beaten him. Don't try to run away. Circle around him, beat him all the time. Heal, then beat him again.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 4,375

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 12:05
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Well I took the advice from some members here that perhaps I was overlooking a great game in Dark Souls PC version so I bought it today. The game seems ok but I think I just suck at boss battles. I can't even put a dent in the first boss monster. I've figured out that I need to stay behind him. But I struggle so much using a controller I'm just not good at using joysticks for movement and camera placement.

The best round I had with the first boss I managed to stay alive for over 5 full minutes but in all that time I only knocked out like 1/100th of his hitpoints. I don't think I will at all be successful with this game given this abysmal start.
You have many options:

1) you can run away to the left of the chamber and escape through a door to get better weapons/armour and Estus Flusk for HP and get back on top of his head (literally).

2) you can beat him the first time depending on your character and gifts: you can get the black bomb as a gift from character creation and burn him to hell, or pyro for example. If you beat him the first time (i.e. first time you 'see' it) you will be in for a 'BIIIIG' surprise!
Last edited by SpoonFULL; September 13th, 2012 at 12:15.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,382

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 13:42
I had the same problem as the op, but I realized their must have been a "catch" (as in an escape route). I found it, but I haven't played the game much pas that point (I'm playing 3 games atm).

Although, the boss probably isn't that hard to kill once you get his attack pattern, just circle around him and dodge out when he attack. It will just take a LONG time without a proper weapon (I made a Wandered that start with a broken sword that does 2-4 point of damage per strike…)
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#5

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,550

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 13:59
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I had the same problem as the op, but I realized their must have been a "catch" (as in an escape route). I found it, but I haven't played the game much pas that point (I'm playing 3 games atm).

Although, the boss probably isn't that hard to kill once you get his attack pattern, just circle around him and dodge out when he attack. It will just take a LONG time without a proper weapon (I made a Wandered that start with a broken sword that does 2-4 point of damage per strike…)
Everybody starts with that but very soon you get decent weapon,shield and magic(if you are caster) and heal pots,once you get that you will kill him fast and easy.Or you can fight him for 15 min right away(if you didn't start with bombs as gift)and get nice bonus.
Nameless one is offline

Nameless one

Nameless one's Avatar
Wizzard

#6

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sto plains
Posts: 1,199

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 14:58
Ok, here's the trick for beating the Asylum Demon for the first time without even getting the first weapon:
Spoiler


Also, don't worry about using controller, it's just a matter of practice I hope you don't give up in the exploration of Lordran .

I'm not a noob, I'm just differently skilled.
Ball_Breaker is offline

Ball_Breaker

Ball_Breaker's Avatar
Sentinel

#7

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Europe's Boot
Posts: 341

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 15:24
Originally Posted by Ball_Breaker View Post
Ok, here's the trick for beating the Asylum Demon for the first time without even getting the first weapon:
Spoiler


Also, don't worry about using controller, it's just a matter of practice I hope you don't give up in the exploration of Lordran .
Mentioned in previous posts. I also think that you need 45 strength for the hammer.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#8

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,382

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 16:36
Originally Posted by Ball_Breaker View Post
Also, don't worry about using controller, it's just a matter of practice I hope you don't give up in the exploration of Lordran .
Or just use a fan fix for the mouse and/or reduce the mouse acceleration to 0…if you don't want to use a controller.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,550

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 17:49
Part of the problem is that I have pingeon-holed this game as a type of game it isn't. My impression was that this game is pure action and combat but that isn't the case. It does require a bit of exploration and the environments change (such as when the boulder comes down the stairs and breaks a hole in the wall).

I have now put on my Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 hats and have changed my playstyle from just beating things up to beating things up + exploring carefully. Looks like there is quite a bit to explore in the asylum area before taking on the boss. But dammit @SpoonFull for saying there is a BIG surprise for beating the boss the first time. Grr….

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,006

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 22:31
This is getting closer and closer to a buy…. i don't really want a controller…. but I suppose it'd be smartest to buy a xbox controller if I do get one for this game?
GothicGothicness is online now

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,290

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 22:40
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
I have now put on my Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 hats and have changed my playstyle from just beating things up to beating things up + exploring carefully.
Based on my experience with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls - this is definitely the best way to approach these games. They reward careful exploration - crawling through the environment slowly and taking in all the details. You'll also sometimes find hidden loot with this approach. Strategy is an important part of the combat (especially bosses). Timing, positioning and choosing the right weapon, item or spell can make all the difference.
Myrkrel is offline

Myrkrel

Myrkrel's Avatar
Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 510

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 22:59
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
This is getting closer and closer to a buy…. i don't really want a controller…. but I suppose it'd be smartest to buy a xbox controller if I do get one for this game?
Some people say it's playable on keyboard+mouse.Personally I think controller is much better option,I haven't used mine for nearly a year and still it felt superior
over K+M.
Nameless one is offline

Nameless one

Nameless one's Avatar
Wizzard

#13

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sto plains
Posts: 1,199

Default 

September 13th, 2012, 23:45
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
This is getting closer and closer to a buy…. i don't really want a controller….
The mouse fix linked above -> no need for a controller imo, especially if you "don´t really want a controller". With the fix installed, afaict, the only remaining issues are both minor (somewhat awkward menu navigation, gamepad prompts).

Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
I have now put on my Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 hats and have changed my playstyle from just beating things up to beating things up + exploring carefully.

(Tangentially) speaking of exploring carefully, a lot of game´s lore is "hidden" in item descriptions.
DeepO is offline

DeepO

DeepO's Avatar
deep outside

#14

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Prague
Posts: 2,328

Default 

September 14th, 2012, 00:10
Indeed, the mouse fix is good. Now, I just have to remember all the PC controls and what they do.

If you use a keyboard you might want to learn the xbox360 -> keyboard translation, because they forgot to change the "tutorial". The webpage here show the controls for the controller and keyboard.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#15

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,550

Default 

September 18th, 2012, 01:48
Well I've had 5 separate gaming sessions with Dark Souls, each about 45 minutes in length and I officially declare I am too lame for this kind of game. The closest I've come to killing the very first boss is I've had him down to about 4 bars of health.

Since this is just the first Boss, it is doubtful I will make any meaningful progress in this game. So it's back to Skyrim for me. I'm just too lame with a game controller and I guess my reflexes are pretty bad too.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,006

Default 

September 18th, 2012, 12:29
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Well I've had 5 separate gaming sessions with Dark Souls, each about 45 minutes in length and I officially declare I am too lame for this kind of game. The closest I've come to killing the very first boss is I've had him down to about 4 bars of health.

Since this is just the first Boss, it is doubtful I will make any meaningful progress in this game. So it's back to Skyrim for me. I'm just too lame with a game controller and I guess my reflexes are pretty bad too.
It is sad to hear that. Have you tried the mouse and keyboard, I managed with them just fine (as I hate gamepads) with the mouse fix along with the resolution fix:

Resolution fix (includes a line in the ini to include the mouse fix):
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

The mouse fix:
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/

It is really a superior game in every respect.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#17

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,382

Default 

September 18th, 2012, 13:02
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Well I've had 5 separate gaming sessions with Dark Souls, each about 45 minutes in length and I officially declare I am too lame for this kind of game. The closest I've come to killing the very first boss is I've had him down to about 4 bars of health.

Since this is just the first Boss, it is doubtful I will make any meaningful progress in this game. So it's back to Skyrim for me. I'm just too lame with a game controller and I guess my reflexes are pretty bad too.
First boss is Taurus demon in undead burg right?Personaly I died LOT on that checkpoint until I learned how to play,but after I die far less I think that is checkpoint I died most on, except maybe bell gargoyles for which people say are not that hard but it took me more tries than other for bosses people claim are much harder.BTW there is trick to kill him easily(which I didn't know back than I had to kill him old fashion way).
Nameless one is offline

Nameless one

Nameless one's Avatar
Wizzard

#18

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sto plains
Posts: 1,199

Default 

September 18th, 2012, 22:55
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
It is sad to hear that. Have you tried the mouse and keyboard, I managed with them just fine (as I hate gamepads) with the mouse fix along with the resolution fix:

Resolution fix (includes a line in the ini to include the mouse fix):
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

The mouse fix:
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/

It is really a superior game in every respect.
I'll take a look at the links you provided and give those mods a try. Maybe I could do better with mouse/keyboard. I am so lame with a game controller even I'm surprised.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,006

Default 

September 21st, 2012, 22:55
Last night I couldn't sleep so I decided to try Dark Souls again. Finally I beat the first boss. I've never been so angry in a game since SNK's Magicial Lord (which used to really piss me off it was so hard).

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,006
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Dark Souls PC Version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:22.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch