|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torchlight II - Review @ Gamespy

Default Torchlight II - Review @ Gamespy

September 20th, 2012, 20:35
Gamespy has a review 5/5 for this game. Here's a quote about the combat:
I felt pretty badass right from the start, thanks to the Rapid Fire ability turning my shotgonne into an assault rifle as long as I had mana to spend. Imagine a firehose of bullets that pins all but the biggest enemies against the wall. Then imagine the satisfaction when, 10 skill points later, the range extended to the point where I could simply push enemies I didn't want to deal with off screen. I later picked up Rune Vault to quickly evade boss attacks with big tells, Burning Leap to charge forward and set groups of enemies in my path on fire, and Glaive Sweep to do a 360-degree attack with knockback while I'm in their midst.
More information.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

September 20th, 2012, 20:35
Quick! Someone give me some impressions, because I'm considering hitting the buy button without having read much on the game.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

September 20th, 2012, 21:07
It's likely a buy from me, but I am also interested in impressions.

rossrjensen

Sentinel

September 20th, 2012, 21:43
Total blast so far for me. Level 8, and about to get my grind on bigtime. Lotta killing, lotta loot, get some more and time to scoot!

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

September 20th, 2012, 21:54
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Total blast so far for me. Level 8, and about to get my grind on bigtime. Lotta killing, lotta loot, get some more and time to scoot!

-Carn
Can you tell bit more about skill tree and itemization in game(weak points of first TL in my opinion).Is game more casual or is it aiming to compete with D2/TQ.I am going to but this in next few days for sure.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

September 20th, 2012, 22:29
"I felt pretty badass right from the start"

Indeed. Feels like i'm playing in God Mode. Disappointed to see i can't play this with a controller, a lot more comfy to play these sort of games laying on the bed and seeing it on the big screen, hardly a game that requires precise movements.. Other than that it seems like a fairly nice game, very nice artwork, the combat is super easy but has a nice feel to it. I can tell already it's not something i will play all the way through, but for 18 euro its worth checking out. Hopefully they will add controller support in a patch.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 20th, 2012, 22:34
Played this for a couple of hours and it's great so far

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

September 20th, 2012, 23:18
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Indeed. Feels like i'm playing in God Mode. […] the combat is super easy but has a nice feel to it.
But one review pointed out that you can play it on hard mode right from the start, unlike the Diablo's. Is it easy even on the hardest difficulties?

Disappointed to see i can't play this with a controller, a lot more comfy to play these sort of games laying on the bed and seeing it on the big screen
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed about this, too, as I agree that Action RPGs feel great with a gamepad… however, there are lots of hotkeys in Torchlight II that you can use, right? So isn't it more geared towards mouse/keyboard, anyway?

Thaurin

SasqWatch

September 20th, 2012, 23:21
In b4 borcanu who will tell us how the game sux.

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I'm a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

bloodlover

Sentinel

September 21st, 2012, 10:30
Originally Posted by Thaurin View Post
But one review pointed out that you can play it on hard mode right from the start, unlike the Diablo's. Is it easy even on the hardest difficulties?

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed about this, too, as I agree that Action RPGs feel great with a gamepad… however, there are lots of hotkeys in Torchlight II that you can use, right? So isn't it more geared towards mouse/keyboard, anyway?

Might be so.

Anyways, i started over on the hardest difficulty and while it's still easy in the begining it does get a lot harder Very addicting gameplay i have to say (playing as an Engineer). Wasnt sure i was gonna like this since i didnt care much at all for Torchlight 1 (and hardly any games in the Diablo-like genre). For $20 it was easily worth giving it a shot, glad i like it more than i first expected.

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 11:03
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Wasnt sure i was gonna like this since i didnt care much at all for Torchlight 1 (and hardly any games in the Diablo-like genre). For $20 it was easily worth giving it a shot, glad i like it more than i first expected.
That's good to hear, because the first Torchlight couldn't captivate me for long, either. I appreciated it for what it was and it was done well, but it didn't give me enough incentive to keep playing. I hope the story in Torchlight II is at least enough to keep me moving forward.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2012, 11:29
Story and lore is as "meh" as one can expect in a game like this, but i was well prepared for it, so i don't really care. It's basicly all about looting, killing and leveling up in a nicely done world.

vurt

Serial Modderer

September 21st, 2012, 18:43
I've put a couple of hours into T2 and at least to me, it is infinantly more fun than D3. Just the LAN option alone that let's me play with my two boys was worth the $20.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torchlight II - Review @ Gamespy