|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - $2.2M, New Dungeon, New Stretch Goal

Default Project Eternity - $2.2M, New Dungeon, New Stretch Goal

October 2nd, 2012, 22:17
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
I realize they are only trying to get more money for the project, but the stretch goal deal is getting ridiculous. It almost seems as though the game will not be comeplete if a certain goal isn't met. Crafting and enchanting should have been included about the 1.1 mil mark, ect…
BG1/2 cost over 3 millions each (without inflation adjustment) to make in 1995-2000…

1.1 mil was a really barebone game in PST style.
Last edited by azarhal; October 2nd, 2012 at 23:24. Reason: typo

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 2nd, 2012, 22:23
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
BG1/2 cost over 3 millions each (without inflation adjustment) to make in 1995-2000…

1.1 mil was a really barebone game in PST still.
Hopefully they can get a lot of mileage out of code re-use and in-house resources to multiply the value.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

October 2nd, 2012, 23:42
Plus, the team includes very experienced folk, and it's not like they are building anything groundbreaking either, from what I have seen. That's not a bad thing. Doing something well is usually better than a sloppy attempt at innovation for innovation's sake.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 3rd, 2012, 00:25
Hmm not sure I can really agree with that statement. Experienced yes… but did they always had a good track record? No. Certainly, they have excellent standard for the story and setting of the game, but in terms of the bugs/overall finished good quality… not so much.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

October 3rd, 2012, 00:56
Another thing. Once the game is done, the engine and resources are there, so the sequel can be made with less money, and sold for more money (since they won't need to discount it via Kickstarter anymore)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

October 3rd, 2012, 02:53
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Hmm not sure I can really agree with that statement. Experienced yes… but did they always had a good track record? No. Certainly, they have excellent standard for the story and setting of the game, but in terms of the bugs/overall finished good quality… not so much.
Where did I say that they always had a good track record?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 3rd, 2012, 05:00
Erm, you didn't? I'm just sharing my opinion of experienced doesn't always mean they can pull out sh*ts well. No need to sound so butt-hurt?

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

October 3rd, 2012, 05:36
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post

1.1 mil was a really barebone game in PST style.
I never gave thought about the cost of BG… I'm worried now. I was hoping PE to be larger than either BG or BG II. I suppose there will be a little surge at the end of kickstarter, but it doesn't look like it's going to break the 3 mil mark.

I'm considering the donating $250. I paid $150 for the Diablo III CE, and don't mind paying a little more for my favorite type of game. I only hope they will have enough to create their vision, and mine

spiraling69

Sentinel

October 3rd, 2012, 06:18
I was thinking that if they do a mega-dungeon then they should do something like the Underdark where there is actual civilization down there.

spiraling69: It may have taken $3 million to make Baldur's Gate but Obsidian doesn't need to make all of the tech from scratch and in general it doesn't cost as much money to make a game like Baldur's Gate now. Also the Infinity Engine games didn't have full-fledged crafting systems and since this game is a spiritual successor to those games having a crafting system shouldn't be a priority.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

October 3rd, 2012, 07:07
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Erm, you didn't? I'm just sharing my opinion of experienced doesn't always mean they can pull out sh*ts well. No need to sound so butt-hurt?
You missed my point that experience with this kind of game makes it's doable for less money, that all. I didn't say anything about quality. No need to insult.

Apparently DS3 wasn't buggy. It will be interesting to see if they can deliver a quality product given no publisher requirements and pressures.
Last edited by Thrasher; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:29.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 3rd, 2012, 13:30
Originally Posted by spiraling69 View Post
I never gave thought about the cost of BG… I'm worried now. I was hoping PE to be larger than either BG or BG II. I suppose there will be a little surge at the end of kickstarter, but it doesn't look like it's going to break the 3 mil mark.
It should be going over 3 mil. It's following the Double Fine funding curve and it made 3.3 mil.

Also, they said BG II sized was their goal, but with less races, classes and companions (1.1 mil had 3 races, 5 classes and 5 companions). We are probably going to get a larger game now though.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - $2.2M, New Dungeon, New Stretch Goal