|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

October 3rd, 2012, 13:48
I started playing Defence of the Ancients 2 beta on Steam. It's quite a lot of fun. The only problem is my internet connections, which makes me lag quite a bit.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#4901

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,017
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

October 6th, 2012, 18:18
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I started playing Defence of the Ancients 2 beta on Steam. It's quite a lot of fun. The only problem is my internet connections, which makes me lag quite a bit.
The community is vile in that game. I got a beta key, and played around a bit, and dear lord, I've never had so many bad players shout at me for not following them into their doom by rushing right into the enemy base at low levels in my entire life. The general acceptance of this kind of behavior in the community that has been built up around the game really made me not want to play it.
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4902

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,351

Default 

October 6th, 2012, 18:24
Yeah, I have no desire to be part of a game like that. I'm a casual player, and that's the way I roll. It's why quit raiding. People got too fucking serious about the whole thing.

No computer games lately, been playing Labyrinth Lord on the tabletop, and Warhammer 40 K sixth edition. On the table top too, of course ='.'=

Black Templars 4 life
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#4903

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,615

Default 

October 7th, 2012, 00:58
Sorry to hear that Fnord. It seems like it could be a lot of fun otherwise.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#4904

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,848

Default 

October 7th, 2012, 23:33
Finally bought ME3… will install it this weekend and have it a go. Fingers crossed, I will enjoy it (except for the ending )

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#4905

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,007

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 00:09
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Finally bought ME3… will install it this weekend and have it a go. Fingers crossed, I will enjoy it (except for the ending )
They have fixed the ending now though, have they not?

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Sorry to hear that Fnord. It seems like it could be a lot of fun otherwise.
Yea, the game itself is actually pretty good. Everything seemed to be well thought out and balanced, and they had also found some pretty good ways of making the game more approachable for beginners, without dumbing things down. Sadly, the community makes it nigh unplayable, unless you only play with people that you know.
Fnord is offline

Fnord

Fnord's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#4906

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,351

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 00:29
Currently deciding between starting ME3 or giving Torchlight 1-2 a try.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4907

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,446

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 09:40
ME3 is a travesty, if you ask me. But for some reason, a lot of people seem to like it. Quite puzzling, since it's obviously half-assed and rushed in pretty much every way.

That said, the Torchlights are both very superficial - and unless you're a big fan of mindless hack&slash/upgrade/loot - you will be disappointed.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#4908

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,806

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 10:32
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
The community is vile in that game. I got a beta key, and played around a bit, and dear lord, I've never had so many bad players shout at me for not following them into their doom by rushing right into the enemy base at low levels in my entire life. The general acceptance of this kind of behavior in the community that has been built up around the game really made me not want to play it.
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
Yeah, I have no desire to be part of a game like that. I'm a casual player, and that's the way I roll. It's why quit raiding. People got too fucking serious about the whole thing.

No computer games lately, been playing Labyrinth Lord on the tabletop, and Warhammer 40 K sixth edition. On the table top too, of course ='.'=

Black Templars 4 life
I agree some people are really ahitty, but I just put them on ignore and then play with the others. I've also discovered the bot play to be amazingly good and the only cheaty part to the bots is that they buy stuff too quickly. Gives them a little edge.

I'm also very bad.

We could play together if you wanted to at some point. You can create private lobbies/games … Maybe have a few RPGwatchers join. We could play together against bots or in separate teams with bots helping us…

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Sorry to hear that Fnord. It seems like it could be a lot of fun otherwise.
Yeah,I'm having a blast trying out new skills from different characters.


The only thing I find to be annoying me is that I seem to lag quite a bit, and I'm not sure if it's my internet connection or the server itself…
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#4909

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,017
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 12:54
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
That said, the Torchlights are both very superficial - and unless you're a big fan of mindless hack&slash/upgrade/loot - you will be disappointed.
Very true, but I have been a fan since Fate, and put me in the 'Torchlight II > Diablo III >> Dungeon Siege III' camp …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4910

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 13:08
Well, I prefer Hellgate and Diablo 2 myself.

I think Torchlight 2 is too blatantly superficial - and it could have used a stronger narrative. I almost prefer Diablo 3, to be honest.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#4911

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,806

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 13:46
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
ME3 is a travesty, if you ask me. But for some reason, a lot of people seem to like it. Quite puzzling, since it's obviously half-assed and rushed in pretty much every way.

That said, the Torchlights are both very superficial - and unless you're a big fan of mindless hack&slash/upgrade/loot - you will be disappointed.
Is this the first time I actually agree with dartagnan?
Lemme check if blizzard is happening outside…
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#4912

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,583

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 19:51
Well I have gotten deep into Mass Effect 1. My impressions are old news for most, I assume. I was getting tired of running back in forth in the Citadel on missions; VERY reminiscent of KotOR. Now that I'm exploring unknown systems I am enjoying it more. Although I am quite surprised how each mine / base location has the exact same layout except for contents. Why?

Running aorund on the Mako, I was expecting to be terribly frustrated based on what I heard. I am not. It's actually fun.

I imagine the number of systems to explore and the lack of variety will make this boring, but for now it's entertaining.

The conversation system isn't as bad as folks have said. Thank goodness you can spacebar skip through the tedious voiceacting though (I wish the same were possible for the ship jumps and mako landings). :/ It's sometimes unclear if you make a idiotic response or not. Have to reload every so often when that happens.

I am most surprised at the quality. There is a game killing bug in the casino that would jump my Shepard to the top of the world mesh, with the casino far below, and no ability to move. Some characters would disappear and requiring a reload. Also there are situations with companions that would not heal, or have poison effects that won't wear off. Finally, the hacking/lockpicking/survey/what have you minigame is terribly unresponsive, making it a chore.

Don't get me wrong. I am definitely enjoying the game but I can see how it could get boring if they don't throw more variety at the player.

BTW, how do you keep track of which systems you have visited? There's too many to remember on my memory alone.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#4913

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,848

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 20:14
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Running aorund on the Mako, I was expecting to be terribly frustrated based on what I heard. I am not. It's actually fun.
Trust me, by the end of the game you'll be cursing whoever designed that part of the gameplay. Just wait until you get to the planets that have you constantly going up and down mountains.


Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I am most surprised at the quality. There is a game killing bug in the casino that would jump my Shepard to the top of the world mesh, with the casino far below, and no ability to move. Some characters would disappear and requiring a reload. Also there are situations with companions that would not heal, or have poison effects that won't wear off. Finally, the hacking/lockpicking/survey/what have you minigame is terribly unresponsive, making it a chore.
I can only assume those things differ depending on your system. I never encountered any of those bugs. The only thing I can recall happening to me in ME1 was sometimes getting knocked into part of the map that would get me stuck.


Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
BTW, how do you keep track of which systems you have visited? There's too many to remember on my memory alone.
Just zoom in on the planets in the system and see if they're labeled as "unexplored".
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4914

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,446

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 20:50
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
ME3 is a travesty, if you ask me. But for some reason, a lot of people seem to like it. Quite puzzling, since it's obviously half-assed and rushed in pretty much every way.

That said, the Torchlights are both very superficial - and unless you're a big fan of mindless hack&slash/upgrade/loot - you will be disappointed.
I've decided to hold off on ME3 for awhile longer. I'm still feeling a little burned out on that setting right now, and I'm hoping some more patches/DLC might still improve the game.

I wasn't planning to get Torchlight II, but I was ultimately swayed by all the "it's great!" talk by so many members here. Now that we have Dishonored being released tomorrow, I think I'm going to delay starting anything for now until I hear some trustworthy feedback about that title.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4915

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,446

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 21:32
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Trust me, by the end of the game you'll be cursing whoever designed that part of the gameplay. Just wait until you get to the planets that have you constantly going up and down mountains.
Yeah, I've been to one of those already. But that's been a small part of the experience.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Just zoom in on the planets in the system and see if they're labeled as "unexplored".
Huh? You can't zoom into planets until you are in their systems. I need to know where to go next from outside the system. Jumping to each system to check would be tedious indeed. And… I see no "unexplored" (or "explored") planet labels, even if I am in system.
Last edited by Thrasher; October 8th, 2012 at 22:07.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#4916

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,848

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 22:02
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Huh? You can't zoom into planets until you are in their systems. I need to know where to go next from outside the system. Jumping to each system to check would be tedious indeed. And… I see no "unexplored" (or "explored") planet labels, even if I am in system.
Ok, I was thinking you could zoom in to any planet, but it only works the other way around. (You can zoom out to see the entire galaxy from a planet.) I thought a planet was listed as "unexplored" if you hadn't been to it yet. That's the way it is in ME2, and I thought I remembered the same for ME1.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4917

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,446

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 22:04
Looks like I have something to look forward to in ME2.

I guess I'll just have to make my own list of visited systems/planets. No big deal.

Cheers!
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#4918

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,848

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 22:28
Replaying Alpha Protocol
Buggy camera and whatnot, but I still would love to see a sequel.

Not much gaming though, new job and renovating the kitchen have taken its toll…

Still miss the feeling of playing ME1 for the first time ;-)

C
Crilloan is offline

Crilloan

Sentinel

#4919

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WGS84 Latitud:59.85 Longitud:17.65
Posts: 350

Default 

October 8th, 2012, 22:33
I don't understand. There are SO many good games out there, I can't imagine replaying much at all.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#4920

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,848
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:10.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch