Shaker - Update #8, Evolution of Concept Art

To me it reeks of "hey! look what Project Eternity is doing! I'm sure we can do something like that too, let's catch the bandwagon wooo!"

Really? Is that why they went with a sci-fi setting and first-person view?

If anything, PE actually fits your accusation more considering how many other isometric RPGs had recently been started prior to Obsidian's announcement.

Really? Is that why they went with a sci-fi setting and first-person view?

If anything, PE actually fits your accusation more considering how many other isometric RPGs had recently been started prior to Obsidian's announcement.

No I wasn't talking about the actual game, but about the situation... "bunch of known game developers announce an old school game and get $millions in days, I bet we can do the same!"

No I wasn't talking about the actual game, but about the situation… "bunch of known game developers announce an old school game and get $millions in days, I bet we can do the same!"

It's a nice thought, but I don't think we're that well known. :)

It should be noted that Obsidian's kickstarter was more of a demand from the fanbase, which started right from the moment Chris Avellone publicly started backing Double Fine's adventure.

I think one thing to consider that at the moment Obsidion has a much larger team working on project eternity then the shaker team has. Obsidion isn't really the fair KS to compare them too, how about shadowrun or wasteland 2…which didn't have much information until further a long.

Gee to think that other kickstarters aren't at the level of a larger game company, how can that possibly be.

Sarcasm aside, do we really know this? We know Obsidian has Josh, Adam, Tim and Chris plus "a few other people working on technology". Is that 2, 4 or 10? We don't really know.

Loot Drop's studio photo shows 24 people whenever it was taken - how many are involved in Shaker? How much pre-production was done before the Kickstarter? I don't think we know.

Sarcasm aside, do we really know this? We know Obsidian has Josh, Adam, Tim and Chris plus "a few other people working on technology". Is that 2, 4 or 10? We don't really know.

Loot Drop's studio photo shows 24 people whenever it was taken - how many are involved in Shaker? How much pre-production was done before the Kickstarter? I don't think we know.

We don't I guess, but I think it would be foolish to say they didn't have a lot more...they are a professional game company with a lot of assets. They are going to use them.

I'm pretty sure this is an Obsidian kickstarter, meaning the whole company, not just the few headliners, but you're right we don't know.

I feel more comfortable giving my money to Obsidian because they've made games I've bought and played recently. That's the bottom line. I think the asking price for Shaker is too high for a team that hasn't developed a crpg in a long time. It would have been better to have a lower initial goal and then try to reach a million with stretch goals. I still plan on giving them some money if it looks like they're close to making it.

I'm pretty sure this is an Obsidian kickstarter, meaning the whole company, not just the few headliners, but you're right we don't know.

I feel more comfortable giving my money to Obsidian because they've made games I've bought and played recently. That's the bottom line. I think the asking price for Shaker is too high for a team that hasn't developed a crpg in a long time. It would have been better to have a lower initial goal and then try to reach a million with stretch goals. I still plan on giving them some money if it looks like they're close to making it.

I can see what you are saying, but it didn't effect a lot of founders going for shadow run and wasteland 2 both of which were basically in the same boat.

I have feeling once the obsidian one is over then this game will take center stage.

You might be right about that, Rune. Project Eternity is stealing all the current limelight and it may have been better for Shaker to wait until just a few days before Eternity was over before they launched their own attempt. As it stands, they only have a limited window after Eternity is over to garner attention.

They have about 15 days, if I were them even if they don't make it, redo the info and launch again with a 750k goal, I'm willing to bet they would get more then a million if they did that.

Shaker certainly has a chance. Yes it's stalled completely right now, but PE is really hogging the limelight (as they should be).

For them to succeed though, these folks really have to step up with the updates. Daily updates, lots of concept art and more personalized interaction in the comments. These projects with big expectations seem to succeed because they build a "community" in the comments. That community then bleeds into forums and other things. Dropping into the comments a few times a day with "Thanks for the info! We are working on things!" (and various paraphrases of that) really isn't enough.

We don't I guess, but I think it would be foolish to say they didn't have a lot more…they are a professional game company with a lot of assets. They are going to use them.

Again, not trying to argue with you but Loot Drop is a "professional game company" - why is there a difference? They didn't just form Loot Drop last week to do this - they make social/Facebook games.

Again, not trying to argue with you but Loot Drop is a "professional game company" - why is there a difference? They didn't just form Loot Drop last week to do this - they make social/Facebook games.

Because loot drop probably has 24 employees and obsidian has 128 employees. Big difference. They probably don't have all 128 working on the game, but they do have the option to pull from them. Obsidian is a top ranked rpg game maker, thats a pretty big jump up from social game maker.

Back
Top Bottom