|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - Update #24, Life and Death

Default Project Eternity - Update #24, Life and Death

October 16th, 2012, 10:18
3.4 currently, so with PayPal added, I think we're already there.

Exitus acta probat.

wiretripped

Machiavellian

October 16th, 2012, 10:40
3.410+106k Paypal pledges means that another stretch goal for these last 16 hours is entirely viable.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

October 16th, 2012, 13:46
Not sure what I think about the death system. I guess it depends on what they mean by maimed. My preference has been death with resurrection. If the maimed system works like that, I'll be happy, but if it is like NWN2 where everyone just falls unconscious then is fine at the end of the battle, I'll be annoyed. At the same time, not a fan of permadeath either.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

October 16th, 2012, 14:04
Josh gave an example on the official forum update thread post #37. Note health only regen with rest, there is no healing or resurrection spells in the game.

I have to say I honestly did not expect this to be confusing to anyone. Here's an example. Bob the Fighter has 32 Stamina and 30 Health. He gets hit by a number of attacks that subtract 25 Stamina and 5 health (leaving him with 8 Stamina and 25 Health). He is a fighter, so he chooses to use one of his abilities to regenerate Stamina. He does this and quickly bounces from 8 Stamina to 15. Unfortunately, he gets smacked again for 20 Stamina and 4 Health. He is knocked out (effectively 0 Stamina) and at 21 Health. The guys who knocked him out move to other targets. Francine the priest casts restore stamina on Bob when combat is over. He recovers to full Stamina quickly, but is still at 21 Health. Depending on how the next few fights go, they will either have to retreat to rest or find a safe resting spot up ahead.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 18:31
Stamina is like regenerating health, but it also fuels powers. Health is like a backup to stamina and only restores on rest. Interesting system. Although I don't like regenerating health. I'd prefer resources (spell points and potions and other consumables). Regenerating health w/no healing removes a dimension of interesting gameplay. :/

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 18:46
Stamina isn't like regenerating health, it's a measure of tiredness.

When you get hit/defend yourself you get more and more tired. Once you are too tired you can't fight until you get more stamina by relaxing, mental powers or "magic".

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 18:54
The mechanics are just like regenerating health. It absorbs damage. You can wrap whatever words you want around it, but it is regenerating health. Are their spells or potions to restore stamina? I didn't see those described anywhere.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 19:37
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
The mechanics are just like regenerating health. It absorbs damage. You can wrap whatever words you want around it, but it is regenerating health.
Not really, I think. The actual physical damage is represented only by "health" (which does not regenerate and is only recoverable on rest). Stamina represents how "shattered" or indeed tired character is by a hit (and character is knocked out when it reaches zero). The former is obviously meant to be a somewhat long-term resource, while the latter is meant to be short-term.
The question is what kind of resting mechanic is on the table.
Are their spells or potions to restore stamina? I didn't see those described anywhere.
As per the post above:
Francine the priest casts restore stamina on Bob

What you think about most, is what you become.

DeepO

deep outside

October 16th, 2012, 19:44
Are their spells or potions to restore stamina? I didn't see those described anywhere.
Priest have spell(s). Fighters have soul abilitie(s) and Paladin can yell at people to get up and fight (paraphrasing what Josh said on the update #24 thread).

I guess Chanters can sing song and Cipher can mind screw you to continue as well.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 21:30
Stamina is reduced by damage from enemy attacks. Sounds like health to me. Nothing like standard stamina. And since it regenerates and can be "healed" by spells, abilities then it sounds like regular health to me. Health is just a backup to this stamina health.
Last edited by Thrasher; October 16th, 2012 at 22:42.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 21:46
Thrasher, if I hit you in the face with a plank of wood a few time, you are going to lose stamina a lot more than health…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 22:42
Yes, but in that case you would die and have zero health.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 22:45
Yes, but in that case you would die and have zero health.
Only if there was a critical hit!

The way I see the stamina/health thing it's just trying to be realistic where you get tired by parrying/blocking as much as by attacking.

Of course, to be totally realistic it should also mean that the max stamina of a character reduce overtime until they rest.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

October 16th, 2012, 22:54
But it's really just 2 levels of health, with the first level also used like stamina normally is (for abilities). It will be different at least. I worry (as usual) about anything experimental (or innovative) at this funding level. I'd rather they just do a good job using a tried and proven design, with good exploration, character building, encounter design, NPCs and story.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

October 17th, 2012, 01:55
I really don't get this weird stamina/health system either. WTF are they thinking and why do they have to make it so complicated. Just use the traditional method of what health and stamina mean in rpgs, this sounds like an attempt to be different just for the sake of being different. <rolls eyes>

Arkadia7

Sentinel

October 17th, 2012, 01:59
Stamina has always looked either annoying or useless to me so this is more than a welcome change.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

October 17th, 2012, 14:02
I like the system, allows for some strategic decisions. You're low in stamina, do you want to push your luck and risk harsh consequences? or go back to lick your wounds maybe wasting more resources?

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

October 17th, 2012, 15:04
Stamina sounds a lot like mana in Arcanum. Targeting someone's mana was actually a viable tactic - once they were empty, they fell flat on the ground and couldn't get back up until they had more mana (stamina).

It was also used while running around in combat instead of walking, and as upkeep for summoning spells and other magic buffs.

Edit: In addition to acting as regular mana, of course.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Project Eternity - Update #24, Life and Death