|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Ubisoft - Changing DRM for All Games

Default Ubisoft - Changing DRM for All Games

October 24th, 2012, 18:29
In an editorial at 1UP, Chris Pereira, discusses how Ubisoft now changes their always on policy for new games.
A quote on this:
When asked if there were any regrets over how things had been handled previously, the closest we got to an apology was her stating, "We've listened to feedback, we will continue to listen to feedback, we will continue to make sure that we deliver great games and great services, and are now operating under this policy." Later in the interview it was reaffirmed that for games like Assassin's Creed III and beyond, there will be only a one-time activation with no limits on the number of computers a game can be installed on. This is, suffice it to say, great news.
A quote from the conclusion:
The same could be said about this entire situation. While it would have been preferable and more likely to garner respect had Ubisoft come right out and apologized and admitted it had been wrong with the way it handled PC gaming previously, a public declaration that it is trying to be better with release dates and is abandoning both always-on DRM and activation limits is surely the next best thing.
Original interview with Stephanie Perotti and Michael Burk made by Rock Paper Shotgun.
More information.
aries100 is offline

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 1,983

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 18:29
Um… What about HoMM6 always on policy?
Not that it's so bad, but honestly due to server crashes I couldn't play it when I wanted to several times.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,705

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 18:57
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Um… What about HoMM6 always on policy?
Not that it's so bad, but honestly due to server crashes I couldn't play it when I wanted to several times.
I'm with you there but unfortunately Heroes VI' always online policy will be kept the way it is. Only the new games will benefit from the new paradigm.
arthureloi is offline

arthureloi

arthureloi's Avatar
Visionary Vampire

#3

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nosgoth
Posts: 172

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:00
I honestly never cared about DRM. Probably because I was never negatively affected by it.

That said, I find it awkward when games try to implement a needlessly comprehensive online segment to justify elaborate DRM. Case in point: HoMM6.

Which is unfortunate, because HoMM6 is a good HoMM.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,918

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:04
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I honestly never cared about DRM. Probably because I was never negatively affected by it.

That said, I find it awkward when games try to implement a needlessly comprehensive online segment to justify elaborate DRM. Case in point: HoMM6.

Which is unfortunate, because HoMM6 is a good HoMM.
Only saving grace is the music IMO.
arthureloi is offline

arthureloi

arthureloi's Avatar
Visionary Vampire

#5

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nosgoth
Posts: 172

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:06
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
Only saving grace is the music IMO.
I'm a big fan of the hero development system. I think it's a huge step up from the previous HoMMs.

That said, I dearly miss the innocent fantasy charm of HoMM and HoMM II.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,918

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:16
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Which is unfortunate, because HoMM6 is a good HoMM.
Well to each their own but I hated HoMM6. I waited a long time before getting it since I wasn't a fan of Ubisoft's DRM but that's the least of the problems. I haven't played a game that crashes as much as it did since Daggerfall. Aside from that the game is soulless. It doesn't hold a candle to any of the previous games in the Heroes series. I even went back and played HoMM4 and realized I preferred that one!
Caidh is offline

Caidh

Watchdog

#7

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Paltz, NY
Posts: 146

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:17
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'm a big fan of the hero development system. I think it's a huge step up from the previous HoMMs.

That said, I dearly miss the innocent fantasy charm of HoMM and HoMM II.
I understand. But don't you think it makes them all too generic? I can still remember, to this day, the names and specialties of many heroes III and IV heroes because the classes and factions seemed unique. Every option mattered. Now every hero feels the same. A shame really, because HoMM is one of my favorite series, and a real golden part of my childhood =/

*Sorry for the off-topic*
arthureloi is offline

arthureloi

arthureloi's Avatar
Visionary Vampire

#8

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nosgoth
Posts: 172

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:25
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
I understand. But don't you think it makes them all too generic? I can still remember, to this day, the names and specialties of many heroes III and IV heroes because the classes and factions seemed unique. Every option mattered. Now every hero feels the same. A shame really, because HoMM is one of my favorite series, and a real golden part of my childhood =/

*Sorry for the off-topic*
Not really, no. But, to be honest, I haven't played HoMM6 all that much. But I've greatly enjoyed the few games I have played. I feel the diversity in powers/setups is quite massive - and they still have specializations.

Factions are also quite diverse - even if I do miss the old style town screens.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,918

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:36
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Factions are also quite diverse - even if I do miss the old style town screens.
I disagree with that.Factions in HoMM VI all feel too similar in playstile,all races have same buildings and all races have,archer/melee/support as first 3 units with nearly identical stats.As diversity of factions go HoMM VI is weakest in series imo.
Nameless one is offline

Nameless one

Nameless one's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#10

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,097

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 19:38
I think every single unit has become more specialised in terms of their powers - both for normal and upgraded units. In fact, I think this is probably the strongest HoMM for factional difference in terms of powers and playstyle on the battlefield.

But the aesthetic difference is somewhat reduced - and I agree that the town screen makes them seem more generic.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 13,918

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 20:18
The interview itself is very interesting in terms of what being said (Ubi's new DRM, PCs = 7% of revenue despite Ubisoft's employes doing the utmost to provide the most dry answers possible.

BTW arries100 I really like the kind of newsbits you've submitted today.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Kostas is offline

Kostas

Kostas's Avatar
Dormant Watcher

#12

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dear Green Place
Posts: 1,631

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 20:42
They aren't going to remove it from HoMM6? Then I'll just keep not buying it.
darkling is offline

darkling

Keeper of the Watch

#13

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 836

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 20:45
Originally Posted by Caidh View Post
Well to each their own but I hated HoMM6. I waited a long time before getting it since I wasn't a fan of Ubisoft's DRM but that's the least of the problems. I haven't played a game that crashes as much as it did since Daggerfall. Aside from that the game is soulless. It doesn't hold a candle to any of the previous games in the Heroes series. I even went back and played HoMM4 and realized I preferred that one!
Have to agree with Caidh, even recently got the Equilibris Mod for HoMMIV and with that enjoying it more than the sterile feeling Heroes VI, at the very least enjoying IV's campaigns a lot more.
Warmark is offline

Warmark

Sentinel

#14

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver , Canada
Posts: 365

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 20:46
Same, I'd buy HoMM 6 at full price the moment they drop the DRM requirment from Ubi. I don't mind the Steam DRM, that I've gotten used to, but that's where I draw the line.



-Carn
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 1,497

Default 

October 24th, 2012, 23:32
Another to the remove from HOMM 6 and I would buy it crowd. As long as it punishes me for not being online while playing single player, I am voting with my wallet.
Xian is offline

Xian

Xian's Avatar
Watchdog

#16

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 245

Default 

October 25th, 2012, 12:50
Finally Ubisoft gets it that showing love for the customer rises sales .
I remember there was another interview of their CEO on the watch saying that their DRM is an absolute success but i am too lazy to search now
Tragos is offline

Tragos

Tragos's Avatar
Otinanist

#17

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens (the original one)
Posts: 1,433

Default Hey Ubi

October 25th, 2012, 17:22
Homm 6 still doing the always on DRM? Fine - the new King's Bounty is out tomorrow anyway.
CutLunch is offline

CutLunch

Watcher

#18

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 55

Default 

October 25th, 2012, 19:16
So soon ? Oops …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#19

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,868
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Ubisoft - Changing DRM for All Games
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:38.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch