|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney to buy LucasFilm for a lot of $

Default Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney to buy LucasFilm for a lot of $

October 31st, 2012, 22:31
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
yes it is probably my age (41) - I am nostalgic for the old movies
Heh, kids . I was 11 when SW hit the theaters, and I managed to talk my dad into going to watch the movie with me twice.
Anyhow, I still prefer the TCW series to everything that came before and after ESB (with the exception of KOTOR2 and RC), but that may be because I'm a sucker for military SF, mostly.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 1st, 2012, 03:04
hey, wasn't there a guy on here with a yoda/kermit avatar?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

November 1st, 2012, 03:24
Wasn't me was it?

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 3rd, 2012, 03:27
Seems Lucas is donating the money to charity. Good on him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1…tml?ref=topbar

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

November 3rd, 2012, 03:40
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Seems Lucas is donating the money to charity. Good on him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1…tml?ref=topbar
Read about that last night. That is good of him. Reality is he is already a billionaire so he doesn't need it.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

November 3rd, 2012, 04:34
That's great news!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

November 3rd, 2012, 15:02
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
Speaking about the awfulness of the new SW trilogy, there is a funny and (in)famous video review where the reviewer goes to great lengths to make a complete mockery out of those films, rightfully so if I may add. Below, I put the Youtube links for you to watch in case you hadn't seen them already.

Enjoy! ……I certainly did so myself .
Only watched the first set, but almost feel out of my chair ;-) great stuff..esp 'what's wrong with your face!?' I recently watched all 6 movies back-to-back - while the vfx for E4 were kind of dated, the (somewhat simplistic) story, characters and everything just seemed to work so much better. E4 was also made, I think, for younger audience - I first saw it in 1977 (when I was 7 - and it blew me away. The later movies, were darker and better (except for Ewoks…). Anyway, E1 and E2 just seemed shallow by comparison, great vfx extravaganza, but the movies seemed to be designed t show off vfx rather than for story exposition…which is not a good thing.
I still think Disney will churn out 'kids' movies, and I except to be disappointed. Anyway, glad to see George has very decently given away much of his fortune - many otehr stinking rich billionaires could learn from his example. You can't take it with you (unless you have yourself cryogenically frozen and hope they can start you up again, and the…but wait!?…what's wrong with you face?!'…)

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

November 3rd, 2012, 17:04
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
I still think Disney will churn out 'kids' movies, and I except to be disappointed.
What happen if it's like Pirates of the Caribbeans or Chronicles of Narnia?

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

November 3rd, 2012, 19:19
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I would expect a real Star Wars film to be a lot better than PoTC or CoN.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 4th, 2012, 15:31
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I would expect a real Star Wars film to be a lot better than PoTC or CoN.
Like Episode 1 and 2? Jar Jar?

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

November 4th, 2012, 15:43
Originally Posted by azraelck View Post
Like Episode 1 and 2? Jar Jar?
I said a real Star Wars film.

That said, I didn't think EP 2 was all that bad. At least it had a more serious overall tone.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 4th, 2012, 15:45
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Well, I think those were 'OK' but not the stuff memories are made off. I saw the original trilogy movies many times; I have watched e1-3 twice…when I first saw them, and now at my recent marathon saga viewing. Later PotC movies were pretty 'meh' in my opinion, and I only saw the 1st Narnia movie. I have no desire to see either again. I will be very surprised if I am surprised by Disney…but we shall see.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

November 4th, 2012, 16:02
IMHO Star Wars was a film for kids and could have been made by Disney in the first place (think Disney princesses). So what is the news?

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

November 4th, 2012, 17:12
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
IMHO Star Wars was a film for kids and could have been made by Disney in the first place (think Disney princesses). So what is the news?
Sure, some elements were there for kids, but for the originals saga adults could engage and enjoy a deeper story. Empire was, imho, much less of a kids movie, as was Jedi (except for those %#@!!! Ewoks…) Well, at least that's how it feels to me. I saw plenty of Disney-like sci-fi movies as a kid - they were all pretty insipid compared to Star Wars. I was inspired to go into science because of Star Wars, not by 'Battle beyond the Stars' , 'the last star fighter' etc etc.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

November 4th, 2012, 18:52
Sure, some elements were there for kids, but for the originals saga adults could engage and enjoy a deeper story. Empire was, imho, much less of a kids movie, as was Jedi (except for those %#@!!! Ewoks…) Well, at least that's how it feels to me. I saw plenty of Disney-like sci-fi movies as a kid - they were all pretty insipid compared to Star Wars. I was inspired to go into science because of Star Wars, not by 'Battle beyond the Stars' , 'the last star fighter' etc etc.
For me saying that a film or book is made for kids has no negative connotation, so my comment wasn't meant to belittle the films. For example I believe that the book "The Hobbit" is much better than the LotR trilogy.

I just wanted to express that I see no big reason for concerns - though I admit that 95 % of the Disney films are schmaltzy schlock.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

November 4th, 2012, 22:42
Later PotC movies were pretty 'meh' in my opinion, and I only saw the 1st Narnia movie. I have no desire to see either again. I will be very surprised if I am surprised by Disney…but we shall see.
Well, there has been good stuff, too, like Bridge to Terabithia or Remember the Titans. Otherwise, considering Narnia and other not-so-good films… yeah, I can see where you are coming from. Not sure, but I believe they can do good with Star Wars.

I was inspired to go into science because of Star Wars, not by 'Battle beyond the Stars' , 'the last star fighter' etc etc.
Science? That's Star Trek, not Star Wars.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

November 5th, 2012, 00:43
I can't say I care terribly much about this one way or the other. I'm not fanatical about but I think they have a substantial vested interest in not messing it up too badly. When it is released in 4 years or so I may watch it but I don't plan on following it until it happens. The toys and rides and related merchandising will sell regardless of the quality of the movie but they will sell much better if its any good and Disney can recoup its investment.

I just hope that they start with episode VII and they go in to the era after Jedi rather than go in the past like everything else has since Jedi. My understanding was that is sketched out so on a napkin somewhere so there is material to draw from. It will be hard to have the rebel/underdog story which was so great about IV-VI but I'm sure they can come up with something.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

November 5th, 2012, 04:26
Originally Posted by figment View Post
I just hope that they start with episode VII and they go in to the era after Jedi rather than go in the past like everything else has since Jedi. My understanding was that is sketched out so on a napkin somewhere so there is material to draw from. It will be hard to have the rebel/underdog story which was so great about IV-VI but I'm sure they can come up with something.
It's being reported that the next movie will indeed be Episode VII.

http://news.moviefone.com/2012/10/31…n_2048998.html

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 5th, 2012, 07:23
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Science? That's Star Trek, not Star Wars.
Um, Star Trek is all about pajamas.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 14th, 2013, 19:22
On top of the three sequels Disney is planning at least some standalone Star Wars prequels including the backstories on Boba Fett, Yoda, and Han Solo.

I recall plans for a young Han Solo in the Phantom Menace that was nixed.

I'd also like to note that while its great that Lucas donated money to charity it was only part of the purchase. It was also noted that the deal was done before 2013 when taxes went up.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Mickey, Meet Yoda: Disney to buy LucasFilm for a lot of $