|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion

Default Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion

October 21st, 2012, 12:49
Perhaps the game was attempting to overwrite older savesgeames ? Or simply deleted them because it's built-in number goes only to 100 ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

October 21st, 2012, 20:39
Nah, I found the save game directory. Save files are just called "save1" "save2" and so on. I had a save105 already.

The load seems to work just fine from the main menu, I've only had problems with it when using it from within the game. It seems to have trouble showing the little pictures for each save, too. The system needs some real help (and real testing).

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

October 21st, 2012, 22:39
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Anyways, I'm still enjoying the game, got to Psi testing phase and am really confused why the Steam preload took 12+Gb of my hard drive, haven't seen much so different stuff in the game that would need that much space. Am I missing something?
720p and 1080p movies for the in-engine cutscenes.

dyze

Watchdog

October 22nd, 2012, 18:39
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
The load seems to work just fine from the main menu, I've only had problems with it when using it from within the game. It seems to have trouble showing the little pictures for each save, too. The system needs some real help (and real testing).
I've had this problem too. Makes me suspicious of how well the save system is working, given that I've heard many reports of corrupted saves. Luckily this has not happened to me, but it's worrisome. Curious how the little pictures of the saves fail to show quite often. They aren't even screenshots, but stock images.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23

November 5th, 2012, 23:49
Finally just started playing XCOM today. I've only completed two missions so far, but I think I'm going to really like this game.

Question: Is there anything to find on any of the maps in the way of hidden items or areas? I'm just curious if it's worth fully exploring the maps other than to look for aliens.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 6th, 2012, 00:00
There is nothing, when you finish a mission the game automatically gives you things.
Beware - too much of rockets will destroy alien tech the game would automatically grab otherwise.
Also make sure you bring an arc thrower or two - by stunning aliens you practically get useable weapons those are carrying instead of getting only weapon parts when you kill them.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 6th, 2012, 10:19
Already encountering some major bugs in my game. I got stuck on the soldier list screen today, and nothing I did would get me out of it. I ended up having to Alt-Tab out of the game and end the process.

Just to be clear: it wasn't a freeze. I just couldn't get that menu off the screen. The back/cancel key simply stopped working, and there was nothing I could do but end that game and lose all progress since my last save.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 6th, 2012, 14:24
Clearly, the aliens were fighting back by taking control of your rig, JDR.

Still hating y'all, by the way.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 6th, 2012, 19:57
My long sought after Windows 7 machine looks like it may happen by next week. Then I'll only be 1 OS behind rather than 3. I may try out XCOM then.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

November 6th, 2012, 20:10
In the meantime, I'll make sure to keep reminding you about what you're missing.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 6th, 2012, 20:50
I'm watching Paul Soares Jr. play this game on Youtube, and it looks quite fun. Not something I'm terribly interested in playing myself, hence the watching of someone else play it, but it does look neat.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

November 9th, 2012, 21:55
Um… probably a stupid question, but how do you use med kits? My support guy has one in his inventory, but I can't seem to do anything with it. Even when standing next to a wounded soldier.

Also, I know it's already been mentioned, but not being able to choose the soldiers class when they get promoted was a horrible design decision. What were they thinking?

*Edit* Is it possible to swap items between squad members during combat?
Last edited by JDR13; November 9th, 2012 at 22:26.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 10th, 2012, 10:08
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Um… probably a stupid question, but how do you use med kits? My support guy has one in his inventory, but I can't seem to do anything with it. Even when standing next to a wounded soldier.
Once you have a medkit in your inventory AND you have a wounded soldier in your team, a red circle (with red crosses, IIRC) is shown around the wounded soldier (on the medic's turn). You need to move your medic inside this circle to be able to heal him/her; you'll get an action option to do that then. (EDIT: The medic needs to spend one action to give first aid/use medkit.)

*Edit* Is it possible to swap items between squad members during combat?
Not that I know of.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Last edited by Lurking Grue; November 10th, 2012 at 13:42.

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23

November 13th, 2012, 23:27
This game is seriously starting to piss me off.

I hate to cry "unfair", but that's exactly what it seems to be. Either that or I'm just having terrible luck statistically.

For instance, when having a hit chance in the 50-75% range, I seem to miss 4 out of 5 times. Yet the aliens never seem to miss at the same distance unless I have full cover, and when they hit me, it's usually a critical that results in an instant kill.

Also, overwatch shots never seem to connect for me, even when the enemy is completely open.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 13th, 2012, 23:29
Is there a high difficulty setting you are playing?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

November 13th, 2012, 23:34
I'm playing on Classic difficulty.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 13th, 2012, 23:37
Aliens' stats are boosted. In all modes. In a way, the game is cheating.
Do make sure you're using the scope.

In my game overshots worked flawlessly, although with less precision (until I've upgraded it on some teammembers). The problem with overshots I had was that aliens got killed and I always planned to capture as many as possible.
The only thing that couldn't die from "the trap" was the deadly robot of doom as he never got caught in my snipers' crossfire - and that thing for some reason can't be captured.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 13th, 2012, 23:56
I've researched the scope, but it didn't seem worth it for only +10 to aiming and the fact that it takes the place of a grenade or medkit in my soldier's inventories (which is completely retarded).

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 14th, 2012, 00:08
Nah, it's a part of the game balance.
Ditch early grenades, they suck. Keep medkits if possible only on supports - I never needed more than two medkits in the team.
Also by leveling up your team, you'll see that some will get a bonus inventory slot.
And pistols are not useless, they deal only 1 notch damage early, but sometimes are a life saver when you should reload but if you do that the author from True Blood theme will do bad things with you.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

November 14th, 2012, 10:06
I've researched the scope, but it didn't seem worth it for only +10 to aiming and the fact that it takes the place of a grenade or medkit in my soldier's inventories (which is completely retarded).
I actually used scopes throughout for my Snipers. IIRC, you can get an improved version at the Foundry. Medkits are not that good - and you only need a few of them. I'd give them to people with a lot of mobility - like the Support class.

Grenades are shit and I never used the advanced versions. I guess they're probably better, but I don't think there's a good reason to take them over Chtin armor plating or Arc Throwers.

Rocket launchers are better for destructive purposes

That said, explosive weapons are definitely underpowered for the most part.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

Tags
xcom
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion