|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Having shameful thoughts….

Default Having shameful thoughts….

November 12th, 2012, 12:31
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The Retina screen does seem very nice, but I don't really see the point for games that aren't written to take advantage of it.
Games are constantly being updated + there's always new games on the horizon However resolution is not the only thing that is good about the retina screen, sharpness, pixel density etc should be taken into account. Both the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD are sharper than the ipad mini for example.

But it's lighter sure.. Personally i'm gonna get a Kindle with that electronic ink (looks like paper and can be read in full sunlight) for reading books, the ipad is nice for web browsing, games, comics but not for books, imo.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#21

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,614

Default 

November 12th, 2012, 12:48
Originally Posted by vurt View Post
Games are constantly being updated + there's always new games on the horizon However resolution is not the only thing that is good about the retina screen, sharpness, pixel density etc should be taken into account. Both the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD are sharper than the ipad mini for example.

But it's lighter sure.. Personally i'm gonna get a Kindle with that electronic ink (looks like paper and can be read in full sunlight) for reading books, the ipad is nice for web browsing, games, comics but not for books, imo.
Yes, I have a normal Kindle - and it's great for books alone (except when you want to read in the dark). But I prefer a device for all purposes - and the Mini seems to serve my needs best.

I have no doubt that other devices are clearer - but for a 7.9 inch device - I think the 1024x768 res will more than suffice. I think the iPad 2 had a great resolution when I first saw it - and that's significantly bigger.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 12th, 2012, 13:50
I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the mini, just making sure you know of the (few) disadvantages with the screen.

I didn't care for Apple at all before i got my ipad, it was one of those things i thought might end up in a drawer somewhere (after a month or so). Glad to say i couldnt have been more wrong

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#23

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,614

Default 

November 14th, 2012, 13:54
Well, I ordered it and I'm expecting it tomorrow or the next day.

For now, I'll make do with what's in my app store account already. I'm hoping something better will turn up soonish
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 19th, 2012, 07:23
Cool, enjoy it.

I'm also considering buying a tablet, and right now I have my eyes on the Nexus 7. It looks like it would fulfill my needs as a book reader/movie player/baldur's gate.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#25

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,085

Default 

November 19th, 2012, 09:57
Well, I have to say I'm very impressed with it. It's among the most impressive pieces of hardware I've ever tried. Naturally, it has to do with how technology evolves - but I have to hand it to Apple: they know how to design things and to make them appealing in a very tactile and basic sense. The innards are still not worth their asking price - but I can certainly understand how people who appreciate the superficial things slightly more than me would feel it's worth it.

As for the size and resolution, it's just perfect. It's very, very smooth and it's fantastic for reading. It's also extremely well-suited for surfing. For gaming, it's a huge step up from the iPod Touch (I had a late gen one, but I gave it to my mother).

Overall, it does exactly what I wanted it to do - and given how picky and particular I can be - that really does speak to the quality of the product. Considering the obscene amount of apps/games available - I have to say that despite it being a bit overpriced - it's money well spent.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 19th, 2012, 10:28
You feeling ok today?

Who are you, and what did you do with the real DArtagnan?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,710

Default 

November 19th, 2012, 10:30
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You feeling ok today?

Who are you, and what did you do with the real DArtagnan?
What did I do now?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 19th, 2012, 22:27
Glad you like it, welcome to the dark side

Having fun with Knights of pen & paper currently.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#29

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 1,614

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 00:28
Tempted. I spend too much time reading on my iPhone and it is surely further degrading my eyesight. But I guess I'd prefer something that fits in my pocket easily.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#30

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,972

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 00:40
Let us know if you find any good rpg's.
Korplem is offline

Korplem

Korplem's Avatar
Shipwreck

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearl Harbor, HI
Posts: 800

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 09:39
Well, I've searched long and hard for quality titles - and I did find some decent stuff back when I had my iPod Touch.

So far, my favorites:

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Space Miner HD
Starbase Orion
The Room (pretty damn cool)

I've yet to find a quality RPG that can get even close to something on PC - and that includes older titles like Baldur's Gate.

There are some decent action RPGs - and Dungeon Hunter 3 HD is pretty cool, if you're just looking for straight-up loot/killing. But it's also extremely shallow and 100% about making you buy stuff in their store.

I'm tempted to try out Avernum and Avernum 6. They look like actual RPGs - but my experience with the older Spiderweb PC versions have not been good. Avadon, for instance, wasn't really my thing.

I tried that turn-based Cthulhu game - but found it extremely simplistic and underwhelming.

There's a decent X-Com clone called Aliens vs Humans - but I found the interface awkward and uncomfortable.

The Quest is still a great Wizardy-lite - but it looks like someone threw up, unfortunately. It was better suited for Pocket PC or the Touch. I wonder if The Legacy (from the same developer) is available? Hmm.

Undercroft is OK - but ultimately quite shallow.

Aralon - the "TES" type game is like taking a modern TES and taking it 15 years back in time. After having played something like Skyrim - I really don't see the point in playing something like this. But I guess it does serve to prove that it's not impossible to make something decent on the platform, eventually.

I've tried dozens of other games, but I forget the names. Angry Birds is a very competent clone of the ancient games in the same style. Those games where you had to aim a cannon from a distance by inputting numbers and praying. The genre evolved over the years - and something like Worms is probably the ultimate evolution of it. I don't understand why Angry Birds is getting praise for being a completely derivative clone of a completely derivative clone - but I guess people are easily impressed. But it's definitely well done.

Same goes for Plants vs Zombies - which is one of the best Tower Defense clones. But it's still just retreading of an archaic formula - handled really well with good production values. Again, people either didn't grow up with the same games I did - or they just have a short memory. Well, that, or they like playing the same crap over and over and over.

Oh, there is this Movie Quiz app that I forget the name of. It's VERY good. I really like that one.

Other than that, though, I find myself underwhelmed - but the amount of titles out there is ENORMOUS. We're talking thousands of games.

One day, I'm sure there'll be a truly good and unique RPG which is suited for the platform.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 12:06
If you like strategy games, you might enjoy The Settlers. It's a remake of The Settlers 3. I don't know if it's on the mini-Ipad, but it's on the iPhone …
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#33

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,136
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 13:31
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Well, I've searched long and hard for quality titles - and I did find some decent stuff back when I had my iPod Touch.

So far, my favorites:

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Space Miner HD
Starbase Orion
The Room (pretty damn cool)

I've yet to find a quality RPG that can get even close to something on PC - and that includes older titles like Baldur's Gate.

There are some decent action RPGs - and Dungeon Hunter 3 HD is pretty cool, if you're just looking for straight-up loot/killing. But it's also extremely shallow and 100% about making you buy stuff in their store.

I'm tempted to try out Avernum and Avernum 6. They look like actual RPGs - but my experience with the older Spiderweb PC versions have not been good. Avadon, for instance, wasn't really my thing.

I tried that turn-based Cthulhu game - but found it extremely simplistic and underwhelming.

There's a decent X-Com clone called Aliens vs Humans - but I found the interface awkward and uncomfortable.

The Quest is still a great Wizardy-lite - but it looks like someone threw up, unfortunately. It was better suited for Pocket PC or the Touch. I wonder if The Legacy (from the same developer) is available? Hmm.

Undercroft is OK - but ultimately quite shallow.

Aralon - the "TES" type game is like taking a modern TES and taking it 15 years back in time. After having played something like Skyrim - I really don't see the point in playing something like this. But I guess it does serve to prove that it's not impossible to make something decent on the platform, eventually.

I've tried dozens of other games, but I forget the names. Angry Birds is a very competent clone of the ancient games in the same style. Those games where you had to aim a cannon from a distance by inputting numbers and praying. The genre evolved over the years - and something like Worms is probably the ultimate evolution of it. I don't understand why Angry Birds is getting praise for being a completely derivative clone of a completely derivative clone - but I guess people are easily impressed. But it's definitely well done.

Same goes for Plants vs Zombies - which is one of the best Tower Defense clones. But it's still just retreading of an archaic formula - handled really well with good production values. Again, people either didn't grow up with the same games I did - or they just have a short memory. Well, that, or they like playing the same crap over and over and over.

Oh, there is this Movie Quiz app that I forget the name of. It's VERY good. I really like that one.

Other than that, though, I find myself underwhelmed - but the amount of titles out there is ENORMOUS. We're talking thousands of games.

One day, I'm sure there'll be a truly good and unique RPG which is suited for the platform.
Dungeon hunters 2 is far superior to 3 IMO. It's more of a game and not just waves of enemies. Also It doesn't rely on micro transactions.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,160

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 13:35
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Dungeon hunters 2 is far superior to 3 IMO. It's more of a game and not just waves of enemies. Also It doesn't rely on micro transactions.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I have DH2 on my account - but found it rather limited. Still, I'm not a big fan of the DH3 arena style.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#35

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 13:41
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I have DH2 on my account - but found it rather limited. Still, I'm not a big fan of the DH3 arena style.
Yeah it's definitely shallow but I haven't found any deep rpg experiences on the iPad yet.

The walking dead is pretty good but the price is a little steep considering each episode is only about an hour or so long. Also not all the episodes are released yet.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#36

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,160

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 13:44
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Yeah it's definitely shallow but I haven't found any deep rpg experiences on the iPad yet.

The walking dead is pretty good but the price is a little steep considering each episode is only about an hour or so long. Also not all the episodes are released yet.
I tried it on PC - and I didn't like the way you were constantly told what to do. Seemed extremely limited and based around this fad of doing trivial things manually - to "enhance immersion". More like a slightly interactive TV show with minimal production values.

Not really my thing.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#37

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,212

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 13:51
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I tried it on PC - and I didn't like the way you were constantly told what to do. Seemed extremely limited and based around this fad of doing trivial things manually - to "enhance immersion". More like a slightly interactive TV show with minimal production values.

Not really my thing.
Agreed I had more fun following the story rather than playing it but it was entertaining none the less.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#38

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,160

Default 

November 20th, 2012, 20:33
I'd have to agree that all the RPGs I've played on my iPhone are shallow in comparison to the PC. If someone finds a "deep" RPG for the iPhone please give me call.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#39

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,972

Default 

November 21st, 2012, 08:11
I'm a little confused as to why some of you are even looking for a "deep" RPG on an iPhone-iPad. That seems like an oxymoron to me. Even if you could find one, how much are you really going to enjoy it playing for 20-25 minutes at a time?

I could see it for longer trips, but trying to play it such short segments would only serve to annoy me.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,710
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Having shameful thoughts….
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch