|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Venetica - Steam Greenlight

Default Venetica - Steam Greenlight

December 3rd, 2012, 02:27
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
But what about someone who represents ~100% buy (compared to pirate), plays games in 'real' genres that take 4-6 hours to complete - and finish a couple a week, engage socially and competitively while gaming, and so on?
Sure, but 50% of those people aren't women. Of course you're free to believe whatever you like.


Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Yeah, those are women. It has been shown that spenders are women, pirates are male. Women play more than the games you would like to stereotype them as playing. It is time to stop looking down on them as inferior.
This has nothing to do with viewing anyone as superior/inferior. Your comment comes off as nothing more than a kneejerk reaction.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#61

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,807

Default 

December 3rd, 2012, 02:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Sure, but 50% of those people aren't women. Of course you're free to believe whatever you like.
Sure - but neither are they all men. If you believe the gaming demographics are the same as they were a year, two year, or five years ago … let me introduce you to this place called 'reality'

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
This has nothing to do with viewing anyone as superior/inferior. Your comment comes off as nothing more than a kneejerk reaction.
The rather heavily implied assumption was that the vast majority (basically ALL) women who would account for the near equality of gaming demographics are clueless Facebook FarmVille people who play 15 minutes a week at most. That is also a knee-jerk reaction … and wrong.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#62

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,410

Default 

December 3rd, 2012, 03:02
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Sure - but neither are they all men. If you believe the gaming demographics are the same as they were a year, two year, or five years ago let me introduce you to this place called 'reality' .
Thanks… you should try joining us sometime.


Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
The rather heavily implied assumption was that the vast majority (basically ALL) women who would account for the near equality of gaming demographics are clueless Facebook FarmVille people who play 15 minutes a week at most. That is also a knee-jerk reaction and wrong.
Because people who play Farmvile are objectively inferior to hardcore gamers? Thanks for enlightening us there.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#63

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,807

Default 

December 3rd, 2012, 03:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Because people who play Farmvile are objectively inferior to hardcore gamers? Thanks for enlightening us there.
As gamers? By your own words you said that they were … in fact you said that they didn't even qualify as gamers. And in context you stated that that was the only reason for the female numbers. These are your words, your statements - please don't put them on me. Because I disagree. Just like I disagree with D'Artagnan that meeting someone in a normal environment and finding them attractive is the same as gawking at them in a strip club.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#64

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,410

Default 

December 3rd, 2012, 03:28
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
As gamers? By your own words you said that they were in fact you said that they didn't even qualify as gamers. And in context you stated that that was the only reason for the female numbers. These are your words, your statements - please don't put them on me. Because I disagree. Just like I disagree with D'Artagnan that meeting someone in a normal environment and finding them attractive is the same as gawking at them in a strip club.
I said I didn't consider people who only play casual games to be "gamers". That doesn't make them inferior. You chose to interpret that as something more than what I said. I'm not going to waste anymore time going in circles here though, so I'm sure we can just agree to disagree.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#65

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,807

Default 

December 13th, 2012, 16:11
Just found this Sexism in the games industry : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1…p#.UMnv7CA0NI5

Which is fully proving my worst fears.

Edit : Another article : http://kotaku.com/5917400/youll-want…rvy-lara-croft
Read the commentary there.

A few blog entries : http://www.trredskies.com/tag/sexualization/

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; December 13th, 2012 at 16:47.
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#66

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,972

Default 

December 13th, 2012, 18:11
"worst fears", lol
You guys are taking this entirely too seriously
xSamhainx is offline

xSamhainx

xSamhainx's Avatar
Paws of Doom

#67

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 4,664

Default 

December 13th, 2012, 21:30
The vast majority don't really care. We just want to play games. The vocal minority and I hate that term flame the embers on both sides Alrik. Especially Kotaku and gamasutra.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#68

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 9,501

Default 

December 13th, 2012, 22:15
How about we go back to talking about Venetica?

I recently installed it after grabbing it off GamersGate about a week or so ago. Only played about an hour so far, but I have to say this game seems to have some potential.

Judging by the starting village and surrounding countryside, the environments and atmosphere are quite well done. I don't know how "open" the rest of the game is, but my first impression is that there's some fun to be had with exploration. It's actually not too unlike a Gothic or Risen in how the world is set up.

Combat seems a bit on the simplistic side though. I don't know how much it changes upon learing new skills, but it seems like it mainly just consists of counter-attacking after dodging an enemy's attack.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#69

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,807

Default 

December 14th, 2012, 02:38
I loved Venetica. I actually like the exterior city of Venetica better than Dishonored's Dunwall (But Dishonored interiors squash Venetica). There is no question Venetica is an easy to play game but I had a lot of fun with the it and hope the developers make a sequel.
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#70

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,013

Default 

December 14th, 2012, 14:49
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
I loved Venetica. I actually like the exterior city of Venetica better than Dishonored's Dunwall (But Dishonored interiors squash Venetica). There is no question Venetica is an easy to play game but I had a lot of fun with the it and hope the developers make a sequel.
It's half a miracle that a 2.5 or so years old Venetica made for ca. 1M per platform can compete with a AAA game like Dishonored at all.

Venetica is a remarkably effective game.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#71

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,834

Default 

December 14th, 2012, 15:01
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
How about we go back to talking about Venetica?

I recently installed it after grabbing it off GamersGate about a week or so ago. Only played about an hour so far, but I have to say this game seems to have some potential.

Judging by the starting village and surrounding countryside, the environments and atmosphere are quite well done. I don't know how "open" the rest of the game is, but my first impression is that there's some fun to be had with exploration. It's actually not too unlike a Gothic or Risen in how the world is set up.
The starting area is actually not among the game's most interesting. There's a lot to see in Venice.
Exploration? Some. Most areas are semi-open, with a couple of connected alternative path. Others, especially in Venice, make good use of the 3D environment. It never gets close to a Gothic though.


Combat seems a bit on the simplistic side though. I don't know how much it changes upon learing new skills, but it seems like it mainly just consists of counter-attacking after dodging an enemy's attack.
Yes, something like that. Plus they use rock - paper - scissors on the weapons. Some weapons simply don't work against certain opponents.
The boss fights are fair. Almost always is their weak spot clearly marked.
I found the combat more than okay. It gets to the point and doesn't annoy. Compared to a couple of other games that's pure gold.

One thing I particularly liked is that Scarlet really looks good in her armour. The few sets of armour are tailor-made, and they look like it. No battle bikini and other such nonsense.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#72

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,834
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Venetica - Steam Greenlight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:16.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch