Skyrim - Dragonborn DLC Available

Eh, I just don't agree that Skyrim is "better" than Oblivion and Morrowind. Different, yes. But outright better? I'm not so sure about that.

I think all 3 games are very strong titles. I don't have any "issues" with any of the Elder Scrolls games really, and I certainly didn't have issues when they were first released. I still remember playing Morrowind for the first time and being absolutely blown away by the overall production values. Same with Oblivion, and same with Skyrim.

Skyrim is the most technically impressive of the 3, which is natural for a newer release, but I don't think that alone makes it the "best". It's a great game however. One of the most impressive games I've ever played, for sure.

That's just me though. I can see why people consider it the best. I consider it an equal to Oblivion and Morrowind.

I think all 3 games are very strong titles. I don't have any "issues" with any of the Elder Scrolls games really, and I certainly didn't have issues when they were first released. I still remember playing Morrowind for the first time and being absolutely blown away by the overall production values. Same with Oblivion, and same with Skyrim.

Well, if you don't remember having issues with the games - then I can see why you think they're equal. I've never played a game I didn't have issues with (as I said, Skyrim is no exception), so I don't really understand that mindset - but it must be a pleasant thing :)

Skyrim is the most technically impressive of the 3, which is natural for a newer release, but I don't think that alone makes it the "best". It's a great game however. One of the most impressive games I've ever played, for sure.

No, we agree that the technical aspects *alone* don't make it "the best" - and I hope you didn't interpret what I said like that.

I'm specifically talking about improved gameplay and design. That said, if all other things were really equal - I'd take the most technically impressive game - but that's just me.

Well lets all take a moment and settle down. Betshada games are not for everyone that's all there is to it. I found Morrowind average, Oblivion boring, and I loved Skyrim.

I really loved Oblivion, but the voice acting takes Skyrim to a higher level. I didn't play Morrowind as much as I should have and will one day tackle it with a bunch of mods and it'll seem like new.

I can't wait to play Dragonborn, but since I'm only 21st level on this character, I might still be playing when it comes out.

I'm playing with the Vilja mod and while the voice-acting is sub par it has some great writing. The quests are tolerable, but what stands out is the location awareness of the companion. Vilja will admit that she hates fighting undead and is pertrified of vampires. She's not too keen on Dwemer ruins either. However, if you take her to any of these spots, she'll make valid comments. She might mention how Dwarven Centurions can drop out from anywhere, how bandits never seem to have enough food to keep everyone fed, how beautiful the Gilderglean is, etc. She is so much better than the companions in vanilla. Speaking of which, she will have conversations with Lydia, sometimes getting Lydia to complain about her housecarl duties :)

Well, if you don't remember having issues with the games - then I can see why you think they're equal. I've never played a game I didn't have issues with (as I said, Skyrim is no exception), so I don't really understand that mindset - but it must be a pleasant thing :)

It takes a lot for me to consider something an "issue". In my current Oblivion play-through for example, I really have nothing that I would consider an issue or problem that I have with the game. Maybe the bandits wearing glass armor could have been toned down a bit, but I still don't look at that as a big problem.

I certainly don't see any "crappy writing" or "samey locations". I find quite the opposite is true. And Oblivion, like all Elder Scrolls games, has gobs and gobs of subtlety that really bring the world alive. In this case, the subtlety goes a long way.

I'm specifically talking about improved gameplay and design. That said, if all other things were really equal - I'd take the most technically impressive game - but that's just me.

I don't really agree that Skyrim "improved gameplay and design" from Oblivion or Morrowind though. I can see why someone would think that, but I just don't agree.

They did a different take on the gameplay and design, I'll give you that. They did a good job. But is it better? I can't really say it is.

That's like someone saying, "Apples are better than oranges and bananas." Well, I like all 3 :).

I dunno, I just find it damn near impossible to pick a favorite Elder Scrolls game. They all mean so much to me. Like I said, it's like trying to pick a favorite child. Skyrim is the newborn and getting all the attention, but the other 2 are still my children too :D.

All that said, Skyrim is phenomenal and I rank it up there with the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing..

Skyrim did some improvements with the number of voice actors though. Although again, I didn't find the lack of voice actors in Oblivion to be any kind of problem. But more in this case is better.

Skyrim also did some good moves with the level scaling and making it a bit more dynamic. So, points to Skyrim for that.

I can see why someone would say it's improved.

So, is anyone actually playing Dragonborn right now? Spoiler-free thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd check out Bethesda's forums but I already had a few details spoiled just by reading an impressions thread. Wading through those threads is like playing with fire.

So, is anyone actually playing Dragonborn right now? Spoiler-free thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd check out Bethesda's forums but I already had a few details spoiled just by reading an impressions thread. Wading through those threads is like playing with fire.

I would be but Microsoft hates pc gaming.

On the plus side its given me time to see what an excellent game far cry 3 is.

Skyrim is by far better than oblivion and morrowind for me.

When morrowind came out was was still more into turn based and RTWP so the combat really turned me off. I may go back now and give it a try with a more open mind.

Oblivion was great at the start but I quickly grew tired of closing identical oblivion gates.

Skyrim for whatever reason has really drawn me in. I can spend hours just walking around doing almost nothing really and enjoy it. Probably why I have almost 300 hrs and have only completed the thieves guild quest. Although I've completed it 3 times with different characters.

It's really about presenting an immersive world that's easy to lose time in. And exploration of course. If you don't like that sort of thing, then it's not for you.

Well yeah, those are aspects in an ideal RPG. Exploration and immersion. I most definitely want that!

But Morrowind and Oblivion just didn't click for me. I hope Skyrim is better in that regard (for me at least).

I'm going to pick up Far Cry 3 eventually. Looks like a real cool game.

I haven't experienced "identical Oblivion gates" in Oblivion, yet. I've only closed one gate and that was the first quest of the game. Since then I've avoided the main quest and I've done everything BUT close Oblivion gates :).

Your example of spending hours walking around doing almost nothing and enjoying it is exactly what I am experiencing with Oblivion at the moment. I'm happy just to traverse the beautiful landscape and just poke my head in a hole when I find one. It's a lot of fun.

I'm going to pick up Far Cry 3 eventually. Looks like a real cool game.

I haven't experienced "identical Oblivion gates" in Oblivion, yet. I've only closed one gate and that was the first quest of the game. Since then I've avoided the main quest and I've done everything BUT close Oblivion gates :).

Your example of spending hours walking around doing almost nothing and enjoying it is exactly what I am experiencing with Oblivion at the moment. I'm happy just to traverse the beautiful landscape and just poke my head in a hole when I find one. It's a lot of fun.

I only closed 4 gates before tiring of it and can't remember if they were actually 100% identical but I remember feeling like they were. My longest play through was 60 hrs. Or so and I didn't really do any of the main quest. It's not a bad game at all, skyrim just grabs me more. Of course I haven't gone farther than the grey beards in the main quest for skyrim so I hope it doesn't put me off like oblivious did.

I haven't gotten a lot of play time with far cry 3 but the intro was well done I thought despite some QTE's which I normally hate but these didn't bother me.

After that it really opens up. The wild life aspect really adds to the game.

In one sequence I was having a shoot out with some thugs and it wasn't going well. Out of the jungle comes a Komodo dragon and his help turned the tide of battle and left me seriously wounded but victorious. Until my new ally decided to attack me too. Not sure how tough a real Komodo dragon is but half a clip didn't kill this one. So out of syringes and almost dead I turn and run through the jungle.

With him right on my tail and a cliff ahead of me I decide to take my chances and jump. I was lucky and landed in the ocean unharmed. Now safe from the Komodo dragon I was feeling pretty good until I see a shark quickly approaching. I take off swimming for shore weaving back and forth, somehow I withstand a couple shark bites and make it to shore.

Finally able to relax I turn around to see if I can see the shark but all I see are the jaws of a giant crocodile and bam I'm dead.

Most enjoyable sequence I've had in a game in quite a while. You really have to be on your toes or you could lose them. Very fun.

I only closed 4 gates before tiring of it and can't remember if they were actually 100% identical but I remember feeling like they were. My longest play through was 60 hrs. Or so and I didn't really do any of the main quest. It's not a bad game at all, skyrim just grabs me more. Of course I haven't gone farther than the grey beards in the main quest for skyrim so I hope it doesn't put me off like oblivious did.

I haven't gotten a lot of play time with far cry 3 but the intro was well done I thought despite some QTE's which I normally hate but these didn't bother me.

After that it really opens up. The wild life aspect really adds to the game.

In one sequence I was having a shoot out with some thugs and it wasn't going well. Out of the jungle comes a Komodo dragon and his help turned the tide of battle and left me seriously wounded but victorious. Until my new ally decided to attack me too. Not sure how tough a real Komodo dragon is but half a clip didn't kill this one. So out of syringes and almost dead I turn and run through the jungle.

With him right on my tail and a cliff ahead of me I decide to take my chances and jump. I was lucky and landed in the ocean unharmed. Now safe from the Komodo dragon I was feeling pretty good until I see a shark quickly approaching. I take off swimming for shore weaving back and forth, somehow I withstand a couple shark bites and make it to shore.

Finally able to relax I turn around to see if I can see the shark but all I see are the jaws of a giant crocodile and bam I'm dead.

Most enjoyable sequence I've had in a game in quite a while. You really have to be on your toes or you could lose them. Very fun.

Yeah you really have to keep your ears open for animals. I've had to learn to abort and reposition before beginning an attack on pirate outposts if I hear a bear grumbling in the bush behind me.

That's one of the greatest things about the newer titles, they have more of this kinda unpredictable lunacy going on!

The delay for the PC version gives me one more month to complete my first walkthrough of Skyrim, after 300+ more. I am quite a long way though since I am around 50 per cent of the main quest.

The expansion seems beefy, adding nearly a new region. Cant wait to see how both regions interact.

I'm playing with the Vilja mod and while the voice-acting is sub par it has some great writing. The quests are tolerable, but what stands out is the location awareness of the companion. Vilja will admit that she hates fighting undead and is pertrified of vampires. She's not too keen on Dwemer ruins either. However, if you take her to any of these spots, she'll make valid comments. She might mention how Dwarven Centurions can drop out from anywhere, how bandits never seem to have enough food to keep everyone fed, how beautiful the Gilderglean is, etc. She is so much better than the companions in vanilla. Speaking of which, she will have conversations with Lydia, sometimes getting Lydia to complain about her housecarl duties.

That's because this mod was made by Emma. She (together with Grumpy) have done a number of oustanding companion mods for Morrowind. She has moded for Oblivion as well but I haven't played this game long enough to try any of those. As for voice acting… it probably was a mistake for Emma to use her own voice. But her accent isn't a fake (as somebody here supposed). This is how Emma sounds over the Skype. And with some dialoque lines from Pratchett this mod is a must have for me :)

Last edited:

The gates you closed weren't identical. There are a total of 11 Oblivion Worlds you can enter when you enter a gate (7 random worlds and 4 always-the-same worlds). Each of the 11 worlds are different from each other.

This is a problem I have with people saying that Oblivion dungeons were all the same (i.e. "samey locations"). People say that not only about Oblivion gates, but about forts, caves, etc. It's simply not true. All of the forts, caves, ruins, etc, are completely different from one another.

Oblivion gates do repeat though, so once you've closed all 11 worlds at least once you can pretty much say you've seen them all.

I must have been naive. I actually liked closing the gates. I saved them and the main quest for last after doing everything else in the base game. My challenge was to find and close all 50 supposed gates. The last few were very tough to find! I'd always find excellent loot in them (not to mention the sigil stones).

And actually the most fun I had was getting spider daedra to fight other daedra using illusion spells at the tops of the sigil towers in the oblivion "worlds". They'd inevitably fall off the ledges to their death. I hate spiders, BTW. That may have something to do with why I found that so amusing. ;)

Last edited:
Wanting to close the gates is not that odd. A lot of "completionists" have gone about closing all 60 gates in the game. I probably wouldn't do that myself, but I like closing them once in awhile. Like you said, they have excellent loot, and closing them adds to a sense of completion that is pretty rewarding.

Just reading about them makes me want to close at least one during my next session :) .

Back
Top Bottom