|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

December 12th, 2012, 21:31
Just finished Red country by Joe Abercrombie. I liked it a lot but i think his worst job compared to the other 5 books.

akarthis

Sentinel

December 16th, 2012, 02:07
Finished Mafia Brotherhoods. It tells the history of how mafia came to be. I didn't expect one of the main themes to be sinister Freemasonic connections, bizarre rituals and the extent of the conspiracy. All in all a bleak, gloomy read.

The Walkin' Dude

Watcher of the Keep

December 16th, 2012, 20:32
The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton & Daniel Coyle, actually interesting insider story of doping in big time cycling

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 22nd, 2012, 10:38
the naked sun by asimov. I read the whole trilogy about twenty years ago, and I'm really enjoying it second time around.

Pongo

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor

December 22nd, 2012, 23:08
finishing up The Horus Heresy: Battle for the Abyss (book 8).
Pretty good, Ive liked all the Horus Heresy series so far

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

December 31st, 2012, 12:26
Currently I'm reading Jeff Smith : Bone. That's a huge graphic novel (more than 1300p, actually it's a compilation of all the ones issued in this series) narrating the adventures of a bunch of really funny characters lost in a very odd fantasy world. It's very refreshing, fun and even poetic, at times, and the drawings are really nicely executed. An easy to read novel when you don"t want to think about too complex things but just to have a good time wandering in a universe that's a good reminder of the ones you've lurked in in so many roles playing games. A really nice entertainment.

Gloo

Sentinel

December 31st, 2012, 12:38
Just finished the prince of thorns book and the sequel. Closest to typical fantasy I've read in a while but I like the anti-hero lead.

Also read railsea, China Mieville on continuing top form. About to start rise of ransom city

Benedict

SasqWatch

December 31st, 2012, 12:40
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Iain M. Banks' The Player of Games, his second novel set in the Culture universe. I'm about halfway through and it's an awesome read so far.
Easily my favourite of all his books, an incredible read.

Benedict

SasqWatch

January 3rd, 2013, 20:47
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
[The Player of Games is] easily my favourite of all his books, an incredible read.
Indeed. I followed up with Use of Weapons. Good as well, but not my cup of tea as far as the plot structure is concerned. Having read the first 3 books set in the Culture universe so far, I'd rate them: The Player of Games > Consider Phlebas > Use of Weapons. Looking forward to reading more about the Minds in Excession, although that will have to wait.

Remembering my fondness of the Dune series (yes, all books), I wanted to try out some more from Frank Herbert. Ergo: Whipping Star. Fun and strange read. It's more along the lines of pulp Sci-Fi instead of the more philosophical Dune, but reading about the main alien and its truly alien language was awesome. Going to pick up The Dosadi Experiment next, the second book set in the ConSentient universe.

Mike: Kindle Paperwhite ordered.
Expected day of delivery: early February. Yikes!

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

January 5th, 2013, 19:02
Mike: Kindle Paperwhite ordered.
Expected day of delivery: early February. Yikes!
Wow … heavy demand! I am honestly surprised, as analysts are saying that 2012 is well below 2011 in terms of ereader sales and Barnes & Noble had a crappy holiday …

I just finished 'Oh Myyy' by George Takei … funny and light reading. Now to decide what comes next …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 7th, 2013, 18:36
Remembering my fondness of the Dune series (yes, all books), I wanted to try out some more from Frank Herbert. Ergo: Whipping Star. Fun and strange read. It's more along the lines of pulp Sci-Fi instead of the more philosophical Dune, but reading about the main alien and its truly alien language was awesome. Going to pick up The Dosadi Experiment next, the second book set in the ConSentient universe.
I definitely wouldn't bother with his son's ghostwritten milking of the franchise just in case you were considering it. I didn't mind the other books in the dune series but nothing gets close to the original, what a fantastic novel.

Benedict

SasqWatch

January 7th, 2013, 22:06
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I definitely wouldn't bother with his son's ghostwritten milking of the franchise just in case you were considering it. I didn't mind the other books in the dune series but nothing gets close to the original, what a fantastic novel.
Nope, not considering. While I liked all 6 books and was bothered by the cliffhanger ending, I'm very careful with varying authors. The only such continuation of any stories I've read, which I also happened to enjoy very much, is the Wheel of Time finale.

And incidentally the very final WoT book is coming out tomorrow, A Memory of Light. I'm very tempted and would lay aside all other novels on my list for this one, but alas, only the hardcover version is scheduled for release, the E-Book version gets a 3 or 4 months delay … What a pity!

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

January 10th, 2013, 13:33
By accident I bought The Third Reich: A Chronicle. I was burnt out on 2nd WW, the book seemed light and there were no reviews on the covers, so I didn't expect much. However, the author is really, really neutral, to the extent that the book is a goldmine of information. There's also a large number of quotes and documents. This is one of the few books on the period that I have that doesn't have a variation of "There were 2 tyrannical monster states…" at the back cover.

The Walkin' Dude

Watcher of the Keep

January 10th, 2013, 17:26
Reading Ambercrombie's "The Blade Itself". Based on the first 200 pages that I've read so far, I'll be getting the 2nd book asap!!!

-Carn

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 10th, 2013, 17:38
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
Could someone please name books similar to 2001 A Space Odyssey? In know Arthur C. Clarke has a theme with aliens and I plan on reading other books written by him, but except that…?

edit: I am reading Murakami's 1Q84. Great book.
'rendevouz with rama' by him is great also. have you read 'gateway' by frederick pohl? also the first sequel 'beyond the blue event horizon' is good.

dyze

Watchdog

January 10th, 2013, 22:19
I started reading 'Return From The Stars' by Stanislaw Lem, but it is a bit dry and I am drifting … I have a huge backlog, and can't decide what to do …

- Stick with Lem
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- We Are What We Pretend to Be - just published 'early and late' Vonnegut
- The Signal & The Noise - Nate Silver
- Paladin Prophecy - Mark Frost
… and other stuff

Any thoughts?

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 11th, 2013, 01:35
Like txa1265 I have a huge backlog. Currently reading?
Edurance by Jay Lake - sequel to Green solid fantasy
Backlog? (about 40 books)
Towards top?
Antfragile - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Japanese South Polar Expedition - Sirashe expedition supporters
Telegraph Avenue - Michael Chabon
The Signal & hre Noise - Nate Silver

read recently I thought was good?
Brittle Innings - Michael Bishop baseball focussed brilliant fantasy
Why the West Rules, For Now - Ian Morris
The Fractal Prince - Hannu Rajaniemi (very hard SF second book in series)
Last edited by Hurls; January 11th, 2013 at 01:35. Reason: problem between keyboard and chair

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

January 11th, 2013, 01:46
Just started Cosm by Gregory Benford, fascinating story!

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

January 11th, 2013, 05:06
just finished Anna Karenina (the book; not the movie) and I have to say if you ever struggled with faith believing you couldn't possibly believe because you knew too much the story of Konstan Levin (like Tostoy himself) is a real eye opener. I wish I read it 20 years ago.

Nope, not considering. While I liked all 6 books and was bothered by the cliffhanger ending, I'm very careful with varying authors. The only such continuation of any stories I've read, which I also happened to enjoy very much, is the Wheel of Time finale.

And incidentally the very final WoT book is coming out tomorrow, A Memory of Light. I'm very tempted and would lay aside all other novels on my list for this one, but alas, only the hardcover version is scheduled for release, the E-Book version gets a 3 or 4 months delay … What a pity!
thanks for letting me know. I jsut bought it. The last time I checked it was due in March even though it was finished (but unedited) a year ago. Its not getting great reviews.

Originally Posted by The Walkin' Dude View Post
By accident I bought The Third Reich: A Chronicle. I was burnt out on 2nd WW, the book seemed light and there were no reviews on the covers, so I didn't expect much. However, the author is really, really neutral, to the extent that the book is a goldmine of information. There's also a large number of quotes and documents. This is one of the few books on the period that I have that doesn't have a variation of "There were 2 tyrannical monster states…" at the back cover.
I've been discovering a few things that the popular or official history seems to cover or gloss over: a) a recent reveal shows the Soviets didn't just give up Stalingrad like Kutuzov gave up Moscow; b) when it says that bombers dropped their bombs early, it was usually on purpose.

Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
Just started Cosm by Gregory Benford, fascinating story!
I've read just one of his, the Foundation story he was commissioned. S'pose I should read that time book of his sometime.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

January 11th, 2013, 08:29
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
I've read just one of his, the Foundation story he was commissioned. S'pose I should read that time book of his sometime.
I think "Eater" was his best novel, at least I enjoyed it a bit more than Cosm.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?