|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Legend of Grimrock

Default Legend of Grimrock

August 25th, 2011, 18:48
It's from a new Finnoish group(some of the guys there are former Remedy workers) and it will be available(they hope) in the end of this 2011 year for PC(most likely Steam), Mac and iOS.

Here's the official blog for them and this game, independently.

Here are 2 of the newest videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HnTe…layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZETz…layer_embedded

And here are the screenshots(includes the spoiler tag, due of the screenshots' large sizes)

Spoiler

Tanno

Sentinel

August 26th, 2011, 18:08
Just being honest here… I find this an odd mix of very professional looking animations with overly simplistic gameplay and level design. Given how much work there is involved in animating and textures, why not take this to the next level? Open up the levels, add some interest, show the party, make it turn based.

Just my opinion on its potential. Maybe the gameplay design is for iPad or something.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

August 26th, 2011, 18:39
They might have better animator/artists then engine programmers.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 26th, 2011, 19:38
Having gone back not too long ago to play some of the ol' Eye of the Beholder games, I don't think there's anything wrong with the simpler, more puzzle-based approach. It's a heck of a lot of fun.

I think mainly their focusing on what it takes to make a game that they can release in a reasonable amount of time. That means a smaller scope. They are indies, most likely paying for this out of their own pocket, and so this approach makes a lot of sense.

If they succeed, then maybe they can expand on things a bit for the sequel.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

August 26th, 2011, 23:25
Yeah, I think its a very sensible first game for a small indie team (4 people) to tackle, and plus its a game format that a lot of people enjoy. Personally, I've been looking forward to a game like this (graphically updated DM / EotB template) for a long time. I enjoy complex, complete turn-based RPGs like the Wizardries / Might & Magics too - it all just depends on what gameplay I'm in the mood for.

I imagine this is a stepping stone for the devs - to get something done relatively quickly and start making the company profitable - so they can move on to more ambitious projects later. Sort of like what Runic did with Torchlight - they have much higher ambitions (MMORPG) in mind but started out with something in a smaller scope so they could release sooner and build revenue. Seems to have worked well for them so far!

Myrkrel

Sentinel

August 27th, 2011, 06:41
Well, I did the Wizardry / Might & Magic approach - albeit somewhat smaller - and it's taken me over four years. As an experienced developer, too. Smaller team (sometimes just me), and my game's not gonna look as good as this. I can't say I regret my decision, but I will definitely support them in theirs. It was probably the right move.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

January 15th, 2013, 19:55
Greetings.

Any impression of Grimrock elderly / green-horn adventurers have?

bye.

elodman

Traveler

February 16th, 2013, 08:59
Latest Grimrock release (1.3.7, 2 something on GOG), to be precise grimrock.exe, has "Always run as Admin" checked. I removed it. Anyone knowing if this is a necessity now? Grimrock <1.3.7 didn't have to run as Admin.

yllaettaevaet

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Legend of Grimrock