Default Elder Scrolls Online preview

December 13th, 2012, 19:28
Thanks for the rundown, Fluent!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 13th, 2012, 20:35
Originally Posted by xSamhainx View Post
You said "starve the enemy out" by raiding nearby farms. I don't get how that would work in this game, are you saying (or were they implying) that everyone has a 'food meter' or something? can't like, pack a lunch for the siege? Lol

A fort has a certain amount of surrounding "farm points" that it must maintain, or the current holders are expelled.?
It works similar to GW2 WvW (or we could say they just copied GW2 Realms vs Realms and sprinkled some refinement on it).

In GW2, you have a resource that is used to repair destroyed walls and build siege weapons (trebuchet and friends) or fort/castle improvements (like having more guards). If you don't have the resources, you can't repair/improve and are weaker to invading parties. Protecting the resource points is important. They are also caravans moving the resource around that can be attacked/defended.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

December 14th, 2012, 11:08
@Fluent

Thanks for that summary. It does indeed sound very good, especially the PvP aspect. That said, I've personally witnessed hype campaigns for dozens of "next big MMOs" - so I'm not going to start hyping myself.

But I like the talk, so let's see if they can do the walk. They should have the money to invest, anyway.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 14th, 2012, 11:52
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Was there a video of gameplay or was it just effusive gushing (I didn't have the fortitude to keep watching after a minute or so)?
This one is mostly gameplay footage.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

December 15th, 2012, 00:57
Thanks for the summary and video!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 18th, 2012, 20:17
Video of the Dreugh.

They are way uglier than in the previous games…

update: Link should be fixed.
Last edited by azarhal; December 18th, 2012 at 21:13.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

December 18th, 2012, 21:11
Az, that link goes nowhere, but fast.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 18th, 2012, 21:14
Ousp! Fixed it. Seems like Firefox did his random bug of not copying to clipboard what I wanted, so I had some old data there (and it wasn't a link).

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

December 18th, 2012, 21:18
It was an error code; funny thing that was the same thing in my clipboard.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 18th, 2012, 21:20
They look more like man crabs now. I think their MW incarnation was spookier somehow. But underwater only monsters are always creepier to me.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2012, 04:11
Awesome. Looks a lot like Oblivion's Land Dreughs.

Underwater monsters are creepy. Especially huge ones. Try Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii sometime. When I was first chased underwater by a monster larger then the screen, I nearly soiled myself .

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

December 24th, 2012, 16:59
Very excited to see what they'll do as far as offering it to the public, like monthly payments, or one big purchase. As little of a deal that is, itll probably determine whether I play it or not.
Might be a great move for Bethesda, idk if you guys've seen my Elder Scrolls rants, they arent pretty, but I give them credit for trying something new, and im thinking thats exactly what ES needs is a multiplayer aspect, what better way to go than MMO?
Chances are this MMO will be enjoyed in reaches that ES console games never have. If we're lucky, that is.

"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives."

TheWharfMaster

Strider

December 24th, 2012, 17:02
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Awesome. Looks a lot like Oblivion's Land Dreughs.

Underwater monsters are creepy. Especially huge ones. Try Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii sometime. When I was first chased underwater by a monster larger then the screen, I nearly soiled myself .
So true dude, thats always been the scariest encounter I could imagine, is being suspended in a lake with a serpent or something bigger swimmin' around. Id shit and die on the spot.

Deep waters' only competition are forests. Big forests are pretty scary too, even if you like the woods. Ever hear of the Pine Barrens and the Jersey Devil?
*shudder*

"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives."

TheWharfMaster

Strider

December 24th, 2012, 17:13
Those mandibles are creepy!

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch

December 26th, 2012, 07:08
Cool monster model

I agree on the scary underwater thing. Some games when I'm swimming around underwater, I'll look off into the distance and feel a sort of uneasiness that something huge is going to suddenly emerge from the darkness right for me.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 22nd, 2013, 22:17
Official Beta signup have started. It was announced with a pretty trailer

It is, of course, not representative of the game unless we can be as badass as the Breton "nightblade" (the guy with a bow, sword and knives). Which I doubt.

I also found a new video interview.
Last edited by azarhal; January 23rd, 2013 at 00:39.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2013, 00:42
That trailer was crazy! Very nice.

Why do you think you won't be able to be that nightblade character? You should be able to make a similar character. I think the whole point of what the nightblade was doing in the trailer was showing how one person can make a big difference in the war. In other words, you will be able to sneak behind enemy lines and cause havoc like he was in the trailer. Of course it was exaggerated, but I don't see why the general idea can't be achieved in the game.

Those were undead werewolves too, weren't they? Cool stuff.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

January 23rd, 2013, 01:07
Nice trailer - everything is shown there we'll see in the game including acrobatics. They just strategically skipped to show us grinding and bugs.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2013, 03:32
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
That trailer was crazy! Very nice.

Why do you think you won't be able to be that nightblade character? You should be able to make a similar character. I think the whole point of what the nightblade was doing in the trailer was showing how one person can make a big difference in the war. In other words, you will be able to sneak behind enemy lines and cause havoc like he was in the trailer. Of course it was exaggerated, but I don't see why the general idea can't be achieved in the game.

Those were undead werewolves too, weren't they? Cool stuff.
As for the "nightblade" (he's apparently a rogue actually). Well I don't think we are going to see rope swinging in the game. The sneaking behind enemies line have been mention already (and every class can raise sneaking). If they do acrobatics like we saw in the trailer, the game is going to be freaking amazing, but I really doubt it…

Yep, those were undead werewolves. The recent "ask us about the Daggerfall Covenant" and Alliance at War mentioned that undeads played a big role in the conflicts vs Molag Bal (as in they are his minions because Mannimarco is allied with him).

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

January 23rd, 2013, 11:50
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Official Beta signup have started. It was announced with a pretty trailer.
Impressive. ZeniMax could give Blizzard a run for their money in the cinematics department.

Didn't see any of these videos until today. This game looks a lot more action-oriented than the main series, and I noticed all the footage shows gameplay from a 3rd-person viewpoint. Is there no first-person view?

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Elder Scrolls Online preview