|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Dark Souls - First Impressions

Default Dark Souls - First Impressions

January 25th, 2013, 16:34

Your trust is encouraging.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 25th, 2013, 17:22
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
We'll see. I'd have to get used to the controler too, I haven't played a game with a controller in ages.
You don't need to use a controller since you have the mousefix. The controls might be overwhelming at the beginning because there are so many buttons for different actions and for navigating the menus, but my advice would be to focus only on few buttons first (e.g. blocking, attacking, equipping items, jumping) and ignore the rest until you are comfortable with these few.

It is easier for me to get used to the buttons on a keyboard than the buttons on a controller.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2013, 22:12
Dark Souls plays better with a gamepad. It's not really even debatable, and that's coming from someone who strongly prefers K+M the vast majority of the time.

On a side note: My PS3 copy of Dark Souls arrived today. Now I just need to find time to play it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 26th, 2013, 09:42
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
Speaking of dickering about,
Spoiler
Thanks for this little prompt because at first I was sure that I had, but after a little bit of extra vertical exploration,
Spoiler

Another update:
After a disastrous couple of attempts to take on Four Kings; I aborted that challenge temporarily and decided to try and explore the Tomb of Giants.
What a wonderfully grim and forboding experience! An intense area full of its own type of menace where the dark plays a vital role. I slowly found my way to the scattered bonfires and kindled them in case it was the last.
The boss fight at the conclusion of this place (Nito) has some superbly sinister atmosphere. However, any reasonably observant player can take advantage of its creeping slowness and weakness to fire. My only point of advice to others would be to make sure you keep your divine weapon; which logically a player should do, if like me, you'd come originally from the Catacombs.

Next, I think I'll try to explore past the misty door at the top of Duke's Archives…

Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
P.S.: If you think Im spoiling too much, better say it, somehow Im finding it hard to resist this stuff.
It's all groovy, mate. Ultimately, it's up to me to be spoiled as the game does have a knack for throwing up some nicely obscure details. It also has a way of rewarding players the more they dig, particularly with the minimalistic narrative delivery.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Last edited by Pessimeister; January 26th, 2013 at 19:53.

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

January 26th, 2013, 17:07
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Thanks for this little prompt because at first I was sure that I had, but after a little bit of extra vertical exploration, realised I'd missed some hidden chests. One contained a morning-star,
Haha, that was actually a coincidence.
And it even fits with the extra vertical exploration .
What I had in mind concerns
Spoiler

wonderfully grim
Its probably even grimmer when one
Spoiler

the game does have a knack for throwing up some nicely obscure details.
Indeed. Sometimes its not even details, like in the case of the whole "DLC" .

Also,
Mission accomplished.

(somehow Ive missed the post previously)

Easily my most intense boss-fight thus far. Interesting to see what else the game has in store…as progress implies the difficulty will yet rise even further?
I wouldnt say the difficulty rises even further, but some encounters may fall roughly into the same ballpark as O&S. To some degree it certainly depends on build and/or how one is used to play.
For example, on my first playthrough I had a lot of problems getting to that chest behind O&S, but somehow I defeated the DLCs final boss on my first try.
On second playthrough I had quite major problems with DLCs final boss, even though I wrecked O&S on first try (and in hollow form).
Speaking of DLC, its excellent when it comes to bosses.
3 of my 6 Dark Souls favourite bosses dwell in there (and all 3 are pretty intense) .
My 3 "vanilla" favs, btw, are
Spoiler

And when it comes to traversing areas, Id say that after Anor Londo the difficulty does not go any further either, though the game remains fairly steady at keeping players on their toes.

DeepO

deep outside

January 26th, 2013, 20:21
You make a great point about the way one plays and the nature of one's character build.
To be honest, I think I've probably gimped my Cleric somewhat in the early game by spreading some points a little too liberally, instead of pumping individual stats and going for a specific faith oriented build. As a result of mid-game increasing mostly vitality and endurance, my playstyle is leaning towards a Cleric/Knight tanking hybrid, heavy on defense, with some miracle casting ability on the side. Probably not ideal, but it's been jolly fun so far.

As to the first Firelink spoiler in the previous post - I've found the creature you mention (it's hard to miss the dark outline from distance) yet haven't been able to figure out how to make use of it as yet so to speak.

Made a little more progress:
The adventure within the Duke's Archives was an arduous one, with some sneaky snipery enemy locations. Got to watch out for those Channeler melee attacks as well; quite brutal. Moving too quickly in here can be hazardous actually.
But I managed to make it to the second bonfire and link up the short-cut, leading to the Crystal Caves.

I found moving around in this location extremely awkward indeed; but managed to finally get to the encounter with Seath the Scaleless. I died the first time miserably and cursed, but rebounded quickly, refitted with the cursebite ring and my holy robes again to assist with rolling movement away from the breath weapon. Thankfully, he is weak to my current weapon and going in double handed at the right moments in combination with my blackbombs worked wonders.
Another really memorable and quite beautiful looking encounter.

Where to next? Hmm. Not sure I want to go back to Four Kings just yet. I can't warp to any Blighttown bonfires, so maybe another visit down below is in order, with potentially a small peek at the Demon Ruins.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

January 26th, 2013, 21:22
I'm starting to get used to the controls. But I can't seem to be able to perform the plunge attack…
Spoiler – mini Spoiler

Any help?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 26th, 2013, 22:00
Aaargh it was left mouse button, not right. Well thank god I was practicing the timing on my right mouse button for an hour

Now I probably fucked myself by having attacked the human at the fireplace at the start of the next level, lol. This is gonna be a looong game…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 26th, 2013, 22:06
Did GBG just use the F word?

This game really does do something to people

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 26th, 2013, 22:08
Now I probably fucked myself by having attacked the human at the fireplace at the start of the next level, lol. This is gonna be a looong game…
I have done that myself as well and got killed by him with my first character, and the problem is that when I respwn at the bonefire he will be there waiting to kill me again Had to re-start with another character. After 50 hours of playing with my new character, I went back and killed him because he is very annoying!

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

January 26th, 2013, 22:33
Yes exactly. I went back to my first character, a knight, but I don't like his slow movement. I think I am going back to a fighter again.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 26th, 2013, 22:42
Yes exactly. I went back to my first character, a knight, but I don't like his slow movement. I think I am going back to a fighter again.
Movement speed (run and roll) is strictly a matter of equip load.
Under 25% of allowed EL is the fastest, 25% - 50% is medium, over 50% is slow.

DeepO

deep outside

January 27th, 2013, 02:39
Hah, I did something similar with my first character when I accidentally attacked the merchant in the undead burg. That was an automatic restart…

Speaking of that human though, he's since disappeared in my current game.
I think he may have turned hostile on me for some strange reason in the New Londo Ruins awhile back. He had such a great dialogue closing line:
"Hmm, what is it now? I'm not up for chatting…leave me alone!"

In fact, the game has many such memorable parting dialogues, usually delivered with irony, a hint of wistfulness or even a touch of sadness.
examples:

The imprisoned blacksmith: "Keep your head on out there…you really help break up the monotony".

The crestfallen merchant: "Go on, go out and make something of yourself.
But nothing shall come of it…and I should know."
"You shall see…soon…yes, soon you shall see…the putrid fate we both share".

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Last edited by Pessimeister; January 30th, 2013 at 19:18.

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

January 30th, 2013, 14:52
I got around to spending a few hours with my PS3 copy this morning.

I definitely like this version better, and it's what I'll play when I have time to make a serious go at this game which I hope is soon. I've created a new character (Bandit) and started a test run.

What's the best area near Firelink Shrine to build up my character? I tried going into the Catacombs and New Londo Ruins, but those areas seemed too difficult to start with.

Can any character eventually use all the spells or is that determined by class?

I still don't quite understand what impact being hollow/human has on the game. I get that you have to be human in order to summon other players or get invaded, but is that all it's for?

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 30th, 2013, 15:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I got around to spending a few hours with my PS3 copy this morning.

I definitely like this version better, and it's what I'll play when I have time to make a serious go at this game which I hope is soon. I've created a new character (Bandit) and started a test run.

What's the best area near Firelink Shrine to build up my character? I tried going into the Catacombs and New Londo Ruins, but those areas seemed too difficult to start with.
Hi JDR, I went up the narrow path with the stairs to the undead city, that is a manageable area (at least the parts I have been to, just played there for an hour or two yesterday).

I still don't quite understand what impact being hollow/human has on the game. I get that you have to be human in order to summon other players or get invaded, but is that all it's for?

Regarding human/hollow AFAIK:
Humanity (the counter, no matter the form you're in) affects item drop rate.
When human you can be invaded, but you can also summon help (online, requires item?)
When human you are more resistant to curses
When human, some NPC react differntly / have different dialog.
(Edit: resistance are also affected by humanity: more info)

I tried turning human yesterday, and promptly got invaded by a black phantom (with a… lump? brain? thing?… instead of a head, and got my ass kicked…
Last edited by GhanBuriGhan; January 30th, 2013 at 16:19.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 30th, 2013, 16:36
I tried turning human yesterday, and promptly got invaded by a black phantom (with a… lump? brain? thing?… instead of a head
Sounds like he was infected by an egg parasite. I haven't seen that yet myself, but I've heard about it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 30th, 2013, 16:40
Sounds like he was infected by an egg parasite. I haven't seen that yet myself, but I've heard about it.
Yuk…
it perfomred some kind of special attack on me - I hope that doesn't mean I get that infection too now

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

January 30th, 2013, 19:06
What's the best area near Firelink Shrine to build up my character?
You'll get to know the Undead Burg inside and out during the early game. After that, the Undead Parish as well. Doing cycle sweeps between the bonfire in the 'Burg all the way up to the misty gate in the tower was a very common way for me to gather souls early on.
Probably, yes. But it may require nerfing/radically altering your intended build, as miracles and spells have stat requirements. These are easily checked though, so you can plan well in advance.

An update on my game:

Whilst I didn't have any trouble with Ceaseless Discharge or the Firesage Demon, the Centipede Demon was a true pain in the posterior, essentially because of the tight confines and the sense of fighting the camera if you lock on when it's close during its jumping attacks. Again, summoning Solaire proved to be the difference, and after a couple of deaths, I managed to take it down.

Progression wise my trusty Cleric has just hit level 90. I've just defeated the Bed of Chaos, which I have to say is one of the more demanding bosses as far as dexterity and agility is concerned. That encounter is…unique. I also lucked out in a major way.
Spoiler – Bed of Chaos
That's all I'll say, as anything else would spoil it.

It seems I only have one more lord soul to extract; Four Kings. I wonder how this meeting is going to go, considering it's only a couple of levels since my unsuccesful attempt. I definitely need to work on maximising melee output for this fight.

However, I'm also yet to find the Dusk summoning sign to grant me access to the DLC content. Perhaps I should suss this out before trying to progress much further; as the extra soul levels could come in handy for my movement towards the endgame.

Keep up with the stories chaps. Have either of you managed to kill off the Knight sub-boss in the Undead Burg yet?

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Last edited by Pessimeister; January 30th, 2013 at 22:12.

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

January 30th, 2013, 20:21
Class just determines your starting stats (there are no innate, class-exclusive characteristics) and equipment, so you can branch out wherever you like. As long as you have required stats, you can use everything.

However, I'm also yet to find the Dusk summoning sign to grant me access to the DLC content.
Thats not how you access the DLC.
Accessing the DLC is somewhat ridiculous, so heres a spoiler just in case:
Spoiler

Anyway, congrats on Bed, that encounter can be a bitch (personally I disliked the mechanics, though I liked the aesthetics).
Last edited by DeepO; January 30th, 2013 at 21:58.

DeepO

deep outside

January 30th, 2013, 22:32
My my, I do wish there were a more than just one bonfire in the undead burg - or are there?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Dark Souls - First Impressions