|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Preview @ Buffed

Default Original Sin - Preview @ Buffed

February 1st, 2013, 13:50
A lengthy preview of Divinity Original Sin is available on Buffed.de. It is in german, so if you do not master the language you might want to try the google translation, but as usual it gives some real odd translations.
They are very pleased with what they saw, but what the preview also mentions is that part of the funding for Origin of Sin will be from a Kickstarter campaign that is supposedly to start a few months before the currently scheduled release date of September/October.
More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.
Myrthos is online now

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,090

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 13:50
Consider me a backer, if it is Kickstarted.

Exitus acta probat.
wiretripped is offline

wiretripped

wiretripped's Avatar
Machiavellian

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leuven, BE
Posts: 627

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 14:20
Some how I think kickstart is being abused (this is not really directed at original sin). But I though the intent was to fund things that otherwise could not be funded. Yet a lot of folks are running kickstart campaign at the very end of the development cycle which seems counter intuitive (given the original intent) to me. Still if they offer a drm free version on kickstart I'll probably bite
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 398

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 14:56
God… Instead of announcing that there will be kickstarter project, they could have make one already.
Either modern PR is pretty bad or there is some sort of lack of courage because of unsuccessful projects. This, however, is TDE game and I don't see it can fail - unless they set the desired amount on $34785638765876963489653.

And I'll pledge definetly.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
Mass Effect 4 Shepard
RPGWatch Donor

#4

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,955

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 15:36
TDE? What did you say?

I thought it was a ARPG
redman5427 is offline

redman5427

redman5427's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: its kinda frozen
Posts: 792

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 16:05
Originally Posted by you View Post
Some how I think kickstart is being abused (this is not really directed at original sin). But I though the intent was to fund things that otherwise could not be funded. Yet a lot of folks are running kickstart campaign at the very end of the development cycle which seems counter intuitive (given the original intent) to me. Still if they offer a drm free version on kickstart I'll probably bite
I think kickstarter works well as a way to attract prepurchases and particularly when combined with a greenlight campaign. I don't see a problem with that, since it lowers the overall cost of getting a game to market for independent developers and so enables them to tackle larger projects without being beholden to a publisher. That's all very positive I think for gamers - surely the main advantage to us is not having the suits decide on what new games get made.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#6

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 975

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 16:09
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
TDE? What did you say?

I thought it was a ARPG
TDE is a German pen/paper role playing system, that was used in Realms of Arkania & Drakensang.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#7

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 975

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 16:14
Wait a minute, isn't this set in Larian's own universe rather than DSA (because I like how it sounds in German better, natch)?
Bedwyr is offline

Bedwyr

Sentinel

#8

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 298

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 16:18
Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
Wait a minute, isn't this set in Larian's own universe rather than DSA (because I like how it sounds in German better, natch)?
It is set in the Divine Divinity universe. I have no idea why joxer said TDE.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,451

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 17:57
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Godů Instead of announcing that there will be kickstarter project, they could have make one already.
Pre-event publicity helps the momentum; something that large budget kickstarters definitely need. Kickstarters make most of their money at the beginning and the end of the run, so this seems like a sensible announcement.
rjshae is offline

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

#10

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,355

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 19:52
I'm kinda glad to hear they'll be on Kickstarter. After watching the making of video for Eco Draconis and seeing how much was cut out because of publisher deadlines and budgets, I'm happy to have a chance to donate. I like to see Larian moving to be more independent as I really like their approach to RPGs.
Alaric is offline

Alaric

Alaric's Avatar
Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

#11

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 39

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 20:47
I tried to read that google translation. Lol forget it…

Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
I'm kinda glad to hear they'll be on Kickstarter. After watching the making of video for Eco Draconis and seeing how much was cut out because of publisher deadlines and budgets…
I agree. Kickstarter is appearing to be a God-send for a lot of creativity we are seeing these days. It's been a long 10-15 years of publisher-driven same-old-same-old FPS and action RPG games.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,957

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 21:06
Checked that with Larian Studios and at the moment they are only toying with the idea of running a Kickstarter. It might and might not happen.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.
Myrthos is online now

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#13

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,090

Default 

February 1st, 2013, 23:32
Actually many games that end up being canceled are canceled because they run out of money towards the end of the development cycle. Now that there is kickstarter that may be able to be prevented.

redman5427: This is not an ARPG and is a Turn-based game.
guenthar is offline

guenthar

SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,549
Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Preview @ Buffed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:58.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch