|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Default Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests

February 6th, 2013, 15:03
You could load these pages with Opera and tell it to switch off animations etc.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 6th, 2013, 15:10
The problem has gone away. Did you flip any switches?
I first encountered it a few months ago in the RPGcodex thread so it wasn't something random that came up yesterday.
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
You could load these pages with Opera and tell it to switch off animations etc.
Switching browser would honestly be harder than switching OS at this point.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 6th, 2013, 15:17
I just flipped a switch, yeah. The "animated GIF" problem should be fixed now for IE users.

The actual problem was that IE kept firing the browser's "onload" event for every single frame of the GIF (duh). This event is used in relation to the image viewer we use (HighSlide JS). To make the viewer only show up on too large images that would otherwise destroy the layout, there is code in place to delete a tag outside the image on said "onload" event.

So essentially, in IE the animated GIF would, frame by frame, eat itself out of the page by deleting all surrounding tags layer by layer until it was the only thing left on the page, after which it would freeze the page by finally consuming itself. Think of a snake eating its own tail.

(Found a fix here: http://webbugtrack.blogspot.de/2007/…for-every.html)

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Last edited by Arhu; February 6th, 2013 at 15:28.

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 6th, 2013, 16:49
Interesting, how/why could Firefox be affected by this though?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 6th, 2013, 17:21
We're using Google Chrome here at work and I still occasionally have the exploding gifs. I have far more trouble when I'm on IE at home, but the problem isn't completely unique to IE. I would assume that Firefox handles the animated gifs much like Chrome- better, but still not perfect. I guess "flipping the switch" for IE also corrects the rare stack of circumstances that cause other browsers to puke, but that's getting to a depth where I have to call in smarter folk than me.

It might just be easier to blame Arhu for the whole lot.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 6th, 2013, 17:59
If such problems are spread across so vastly different rendering engines I'd think standards and specification (or lack of them) or implementation would be to blame rather than the software.

Then again it's always easier to blame Arhu

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 6th, 2013, 21:19

Didn't realize the other browsers were affected too. Well, let's hope for the best.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 6th, 2013, 22:02
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post

Didn't realize the other browsers were affected too. Well, let's hope for the best.
Most of the time, they aren't affected. I've only had a couple times when an animated gif blew up Chrome. I seem to remember one of those being in the Codex thread. Couldn't tell you whether that was due to the gif itself, a specific problem within the browser, the phase of the moon, the way my shoes were tied, or some exacting combination of all of those. IE pukes on pretty much all of them, or at least it did prior to your tweak.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 6th, 2013, 22:54
The problem with the Codex thread is likely revealed by the title!! Anyone who uses that virus called IE gets exactly what they deserve. Use REAL browsers like FF, Opera, or Safari!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

April 25th, 2013, 22:08
Today there were some posting issues. They should be solved by now.

So much for adding last minute changes and then leaving the site alone for a few hours

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 25th, 2013, 22:25
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Today there were some posting issues. They should be solved by now.

So much for adding last minute changes and then leaving the site alone for a few hours
Thank you for fixing it.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

April 25th, 2013, 22:29
Yes, thanks. On the one day I actually compose a lengthy post I couldn't actually post it…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 25th, 2013, 22:37
Yeah, right

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 25th, 2013, 22:48
Maybe it's true, and if it is, it can be used as a proof that god exists!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 25th, 2013, 22:52
OK, Myrthos it's time to revert that fix.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 25th, 2013, 23:45
Thank you for fixing it ! - I found it quite disturbing …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 5th, 2013, 00:12
Kinda a petty request but since it's easy to do on vBulletin afaik I thought I might as well post. Would any of the admins be kind enough to change my name to (the slightly different) "Kostas" ?

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 5th, 2013, 00:56
OK, done

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 5th, 2013, 01:55
That was quick! Didn't even have to relogin

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 5th, 2013, 08:14
Yes I'll await the $100 a letter compensation

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests