|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

February 3rd, 2013, 19:35
Watched The Fountain for the second time, understood a lot more of it. Found it even better than before.

We also tried out a classic: Hitchcock's Rear Window. Excellent film that probably inspired at least one other cool movie that I forgot the name of.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 3rd, 2013, 22:41
OK, so we watched 'God Bless America' last night … shallow and immature. It lays out a thesis and takes some stands in the first 10 -15 minutes … and then basically sticks with a position that everything can be taken care of by shooting people. Essentially it never gets above the middle school fantasy of 'I wish someone would wipe out the math teacher so we wouldn't have to take the test tomorrow'.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 7th, 2013, 19:18
God Bless America was indeed bad, i really dont get the good reviews for this movie. It's like they saw Mike Judge's movies and wanted to make something similar but without understanding what makes his movies both funny and interesting, and to some degree even important. Utter crap..

Dredd 3D. Kind of liked it, some very nice scenes that looked absolutely stunning. Overall it was enjoyable but not something i would want to watch again since i'm not a fan of movies where they're stuck in one place, it gets boring. A typical 3/5 movie.

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

February 7th, 2013, 23:13
I take it Dredd 3D didn't have any of the ABC Warriors in it .. ?

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 8th, 2013, 09:42
Dredd 3D was nice. Straight and to the point - one of the better action films out there. It reminded me a bit of Punisher: Warzone, with less dialog. Just make sure to watch an uncut version.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 8th, 2013, 10:19
Rewatched Django Unchained - as I suspected I might have been too harsh on it.

I was right, it's better than I gave it credit for. 7.5/10. Quite entertaining - and my original response was most likely due to being extra grumpy.

The Master

?/10

I don't really know how to rate it. It's a very hard film to watch - almost painful.

It deals with nothing except the human condition - specifically for people who're set apart in some way from "normal" people.

I will say that the performances are out of this world, and Joaquin Phoenix has transformed himself in a way I'm not sure I've seen before. It's like he changed every aspect of himself to match the character. He seems to go beyond even Daniel Day Lewis - or the old De Niro. One of the most expressive performances of all time.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is also very powerful and convincing as a larger-than-life con-man. I'm not sure if he believes his own bullshit, but he certainly doesn't react well when confronted with insistence.

Everyone, basically, is fantastic.

The music supports what happens very efficiently - and is truly unsettling.

But, with all that said, it's not entertainment. It's something else. I wouldn't recommend it to people who're not fascinated by all aspect of humanity. Looking for some fun? Stay far away from this one. It's one of the least accessible films from an american director I've ever seen.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 9th, 2013, 19:00
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The Master

?/10

I don't really know how to rate it. It's a very hard film to watch - almost painful.

It deals with nothing except the human condition - specifically for people who're set apart in some way from "normal" people.

I will say that the performances are out of this world, and Joaquin Phoenix has transformed himself in a way I'm not sure I've seen before. It's like he changed every aspect of himself to match the character. He seems to go beyond even Daniel Day Lewis - or the old De Niro. One of the most expressive performances of all time.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is also very powerful and convincing as a larger-than-life con-man. I'm not sure if he believes his own bullshit, but he certainly doesn't react well when confronted with insistence.

Everyone, basically, is fantastic.

The music supports what happens very efficiently - and is truly unsettling.

But, with all that said, it's not entertainment. It's something else. I wouldn't recommend it to people who're not fascinated by all aspect of humanity. Looking for some fun? Stay far away from this one. It's one of the least accessible films from an american director I've ever seen.
I also saw the The Master and I found it incredibly deep and thought provoking. While I agree that Lancaster Dobb seems to be a con-artist, he also has plenty of very interesting things to say. One of them is the repeating questions pattern in trying to get Freddie, and everyone that was "processed", to start thinking much more actively about what they're saying. I think it's true that people usually just respond to questions like pre-programmed automatons. I find I also do that sometimes, without putting enough thought into what I'm saying.

And indeed, Phoenix's performance was amazing. He really did look and feel like a true tragic character. The way he walked around, all bent-back, and with a slightly deformed smile. Amazing.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

February 10th, 2013, 10:45
Speaking of Philip Seymour Hoffman… I just watched Along Came Polly. It's a comedy from 2004 starring Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston, and it's quite underrated imo. Hoffman plays Stillers best friend, and he's responsible for some of the funnier scenes in the movie.

People generally only talk about Hoffman's dramatic roles, but he can be funnier than shit.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2013, 17:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Speaking of Philip Seymour Hoffman… I just watched Along Came Polly. It's a comedy from 2004 starring Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston, and it's quite underrated imo. Hoffman plays Stillers best friend, and he's responsible for some of the funnier scenes in the movie.

People generally only talk about Hoffman's dramatic roles, but he can be funnier than shit.
I love Hoffman, but stiller is hit or miss an Anniston is abysmal as a rule … I remember seeing bits on cable and not being able to tolerate it …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2013, 22:27
Not true in all cases re: Jennifer Aniston. Check out The Good Girl

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

February 10th, 2013, 23:35
Originally Posted by EvilManagedCare View Post
Not true in all cases re: Jennifer Aniston. Check out The Good Girl
Or Horrible Bosses, - another underrated comedy.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2013, 03:36
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Or Horrible Bosses, - another underrated comedy.
This ones on OnDemand right now iirc, I will try and give it a watch.

EvilManagedCare

Sentinel

February 11th, 2013, 03:44
She was much better than expected in Marley & Me as well - and that was a real role unlike the gimmicky one-trick in Horrible Bosses. I meant as a 'general rule', rather than absolute rule. But at least she is better than Katherine Heigl …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2013, 09:24
Jennifer Aniston isn't my cup of tea usually - but I liked her in Horrible Bosses.

Wonder why

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 11th, 2013, 15:12
You work in some sexy dentist's office?

Office… Or ambulance… Or what it's called in english?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 11th, 2013, 15:13
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
You work in some sexy dentist's office?

Office… Or ambulance… Or what it's called in english?
Not a lot of "sexy" in my office, no.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 13th, 2013, 16:33
Really? Not even the man in the mirror?

Joke aside, either everyone has plastic boobs/butt then or you're just overcriticizing. Ah, it's you so… It's most probably the second option.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 13th, 2013, 19:08
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Really? Not even the man in the mirror?

Joke aside, either everyone has plastic boobs/butt then or you're just overcriticizing. Ah, it's you so… It's most probably the second option.
I'm definitely the most sexy thing in my office

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 13th, 2013, 19:24
Groovy!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 13th, 2013, 19:35
That's a frightening image.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread