|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Dark Souls - First Impressions

Default Dark Souls - First Impressions

February 10th, 2013, 19:35
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Huzzah, finally finished!
Congrats .
I love how the music for this encounter has this sedate quasi-romantic quality instead of the usual and almost expected bombastic overture.
Me as well. This kind of subversion isn´t particularly novel, but in this case it just worked exceptionally well. On my second character I was intentionally prolonging the battle to savour the moment.
Partially also because, similarly as with Manus, I managed to sorta screw the magic of this encounter the first time, mainly since
Spoiler

At any rate, Dark Souls is a poetic game .

Anyway, so … which
Spoiler

Well, it's been a jolly grand adventure. Thanks all for reading my bollocksy words and also to the posters who gave assistance and words of wisdom along the way.
Thanks for the write-ups!

What you think about most, is what you become.
Last edited by DeepO; February 11th, 2013 at 03:44.

DeepO

deep outside

February 10th, 2013, 22:11
Comgratulations Pessimeister, I am still at the beginning and not sure if I'll ever finish it, but we will see. I have skipped through most of your recent posts to avoid spoilers, but will come back to this thread later on.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

February 11th, 2013, 11:15
Thanks guys.

Upon reflection, my rather blind enjoyment of the game has probably manifested in the form of too many spoilers appearing in my posts! Thus, apologies to the people unfortunately affected.

Anyway, so … which
Spoiler
Spoiler – I had a choice? :D

@GBG: Keep hacking away, bit by bit. The game is most enjoyable digested ultra slowly I think. Actually, according to the in game measurement, I clocked up over 150 hours! I don't think I've done that in a game since New Vegas.
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
At any rate, Dark Souls is a poetic game .
Amen, brother.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

February 12th, 2013, 19:47
I've just received my copy of Dark Souls for the PS3 and I'd like to ask some feedback. I get that if you die once, you need to recover your souls from your previous place of death. But if you die without recovering them, are they really lost forever? Because if they are, then, damn. That's harsh as hell. I already died twice loosing all souls I had on me. And it sucks that regular demons respawn as you're trying to recover your body.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

February 12th, 2013, 21:05
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I've just received my copy of Dark Souls for the PS3 and I'd like to ask some feedback. I get that if you die once, you need to recover your souls from your previous place of death. But if you die without recovering them, are they really lost forever? Because if they are, then, damn. That's harsh as hell. I already died twice loosing all souls I had on me. And it sucks that regular demons respawn as you're trying to recover your body.
Well, I think my character is gimped. I'm constantly getting my ass handed to me by two skeletons right after exiting the firelink shrine. I can't even seem to kill one, before they slaughter me. They're fast as hell. I'm constantly rolling around trying to evade, but I've no chance. I've not felt this frustrated ever since I played Severance - Blade of Darkness. Oh, well I guess I should start anew since I lost about 2500 souls so far, and that's about 3 levels lost.

EDIT: Yeah, I just watched a walkthrough and it seems I missed a path, and heading through the graveyard is way above my level. Good to know.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

February 12th, 2013, 22:33
Yeah, I did the exact same thing when I first started playing.

It will be awhile before you can comfortably take on those skeletons. What character class did you choose?

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2013, 22:38
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yeah, I did the exact same thing when I first started playing.

It will be awhile before you can comfortably take on those skeletons. What character class did you choose?
I think wanderer or something.
But it's brutal. I'm considering whether it's worth putting in the time&effort into this game. I reached the Taurus Demon, or whatever it's name is, and he mopped the floor with me. And I lost 2600 souls. And I have to redo killing a dozen or so zombies just to get to him again. And he'll probably mop the floor with me again. I think I'll try again tomorrow. I'm too tired right now.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

February 12th, 2013, 23:01
Get used to dying. You haven't even reached the "hard" areas yet.

Maybe think about starting over with a different character. Also, do some research on the web. There are several places where you can find tips for beginners.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 12th, 2013, 23:06
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Get used to dying. You haven't even reached the "hard" areas yet.

Maybe think about starting over with a different character. Also, do some research on the web. There are several places where you can find tip for beginners.
Yes, don't give up. It will get better as you level up and find better equipment and armour. Regarding the Taurus Demon, he only moves in straight lines over the bridge so you can easily predict his pattern.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

February 13th, 2013, 14:00
A Wanderer is a very good class with stats spread out nicely. It's the class I chose and now have her up to level 90 (high dex, awesome damage with Queelag's Fury Sword and max pyromancy).

You need to take it slow and learn how to play (with any class!).
Those skeletons are way too tough at the beginning of the game - for any class. Head up the mountain to the Undead Burg. Explore.

The game is not a pushover (which is refreshing in this "hold your hand" era) and is very rewarding to those who continue on with the challenge.

Dagar

Watcher

February 13th, 2013, 19:40
Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
A Wanderer is a very good class with stats spread out nicely. It's the class I chose and now have her up to level 90 (high dex, awesome damage with Queelag's Fury Sword and max pyromancy).

You need to take it slow and learn how to play (with any class!).
Those skeletons are way too tough at the beginning of the game - for any class. Head up the mountain to the Undead Burg. Explore.

The game is not a pushover (which is refreshing in this "hold your hand" era) and is very rewarding to those who continue on with the challenge.
I won't recommend Queelag's Furysword unless you have +10 Humanity constantly to maximize its damage, which means you shouldn't die at any cost instead, a good +15 Dex weapon (i.e. with S scaling) and you're good to go. I think QFS is a good weapon over all but does its best with certain encounters.

Another good class to start with is the Pyromancer: you can easily go for a STR or, even better, MAG build (which rocks in DkS). Also, fire damage right from the start is a plus.

I'm not a noob, I'm just differently skilled.

Ball_Breaker

Sentinel

February 15th, 2013, 02:06
Well all this interesting talk of DS led me to buy it (for PC). Hope I can make the controls work for me.
Last edited by Thrasher; February 15th, 2013 at 18:53.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2013, 16:25
Well, as long as you don't repeat ad nauseum that you're having trouble with the controls like you did in the early part of the thread regarding the save system, your reports might make interesting reading. Nice to hear that you're giving it a go, however.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

February 15th, 2013, 19:05
Right, you're free not to read my impressions if you don't like them. But don't worry, by the time I get around to playing this you probably won't even be around…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 15th, 2013, 21:33
Originally Posted by Ball_Breaker View Post
I won't recommend Queelag's Furysword unless you have +10 Humanity constantly to maximize its damage, which means you shouldn't die at any cost instead, a good +15 Dex weapon (i.e. with S scaling) and you're good to go. I think QFS is a good weapon over all but does its best with certain encounters.

Another good class to start with is the Pyromancer: you can easily go for a STR or, even better, MAG build (which rocks in DkS). Also, fire damage right from the start is a plus.
Thanks for the tip - my Queelag's Furysword is now replaced with a +15 Balder Side Sword. What a wicked combination with my Dex build. A nasty weapon that does awesome damage very quickly. Took down Artorias of the Abyss in Oolacile with it MUCH quicker than my other weapons ever had a chance.

I've been pretty much finished with my first playthrough for a while now (currently level 104). I'm going through the Oolcacile add-on before I finish up the game and start a NG+. Fun times!

Dagar

Watcher

March 18th, 2013, 11:00
I bought the game during Christmas Steam sale and now that I have ~60 hours in it, I would say it is really impressive. The controls took some time to get used to and they still feel clunky from time to time, but that became rather minor glitch. And more so after applying simple mouse mod that made the behavior more PC friendly.

So far this is probably the most remarkable experience since I started to play computer games again before 2 years (so the list has names like Fallout New Vegas, Divinity Ergo Draconis, Diablo III, Oblivion, Skyrim, …). I cannot recall I've ever experienced such strong feelings of despair and satisfaction.

Danicek

Sentinel

March 18th, 2013, 13:07
Ah Danicek there you are. I haven't noticed you post since Dot days or I haven't seen your Avatar pic around. Then again I'm not always observant!

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

March 18th, 2013, 13:13
^ That would take this thread seriously off-topic

Danicek

Sentinel

March 18th, 2013, 19:51
Defeated Gwyn, Lord of Cinder and finished the game at character level 105
I chose the "Link the Fire" / good ending - watched the "Dark Lord" ending on Youtube.

After the final credits roll, the game restarts as a New Game+ with increased difficulty however you get to keep your level, gear and some others items (not everything however).

An incredible game and an awesome experience!

Dagar

Watcher

March 26th, 2013, 14:29
I'm done with it as well. The end got me bit unprepared. I thought there must be some sort of ending, some story, cinematic, something. They just kicked me back to NG+.

Yet overall this was very rewarding experience. One of most notable in my not so huge playing history.

Danicek

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Dark Souls - First Impressions