|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GOG - RPG Weekend

Default GOG - RPG Weekend

February 15th, 2013, 14:11
Good Old Games is running a RPG weekend promo with the following games: The two Witcher games, all Divinity games, Geneforge 1-5, the Gothic games, Torchlight, Septerra Core and Darklands.
More information.
Myrthos is online now

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,042

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 14:11
But sadly system shock 2 is not included
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 378

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 15:20
Originally Posted by you View Post
But sadly system shock 2 is not included
And even more sadly, Forsaken Gods is. Luckily you can uncheck any of them you don't want though. Still… ew…
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,510

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 15:26
SS2 is a new release, that's why. But cmon, 10€ is already a great price.

From all titles I don't have Geneforges and Darklands and somehow, am not interested into any of them. Forsaken Gods I'd buy only to my worst enemy.

Still I will spend some money - I do have Septerra Core, but not digital version and although it was a great game it wasn't popular enough back then - it got released the same year with PS:T.

Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#4

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,648

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 15:32
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
SS2 is a new release, that's why. But cmon, 10 is already a great price.

From all titles I don't have Geneforges and Darklands and somehow, am not interested into any of them. Forsaken Gods I'd buy only to my worst enemy.

Still I will spend some money - I do have Septerra Core, but not digital version and although it was a great game it wasn't popular enough back then - it got released the same year with PS:T.
Yeah Septerra Core is a really good and often overlooked one. I usually can't stand JRPG-style games, but I really enjoyed that one. That is to say once I got around the game breaking bugs in the release version.
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,510

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 16:33
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Yeah Septerra Core is a really good and often overlooked one. I usually can't stand JRPG-style games, but I really enjoyed that one. That is to say once I got around the game breaking bugs in the release version.
Got the old boxed copy somewhere and got the digital one on GOG already. great game.
Yme is offline

Yme

Yme's Avatar
Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ginnungagap
Posts: 362

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 17:13
None of these games ever interested me but you say that Septura Core is actually good? Is it a Western RPG with a JRPG face or good JRPG then?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 3,175

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 18:18
RPG creds satisfied - all games previously owned and played
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 977

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 18:25
Be aware that (unless it has changed) Septerra Core is broken on Win8. Curse you MS and your cheap game-breaking upgrades.

It is, however, a great game, but became a bit of a chore later on going back and forth across levels with endless (pointless) battles. I gave up around 75%, but went back later and finished it. The story/world is very interesting, and the characters are an interesting bunch.
Irien is offline

Irien

Watcher

#9

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 56

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 19:08
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
None of these games ever interested me but you say that Septura Core is actually good? Is it a Western RPG with a JRPG face or good JRPG then?
It's a good JRPG-style game created by a western developer. It's pretty much a faithful attempt at making a JRPG style game, except without so much of the pretentious self-satisfied pontification that one not inclined to like JRPGs might associate with them after playing some of the more famous examples.
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,510

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 19:20
Think anyone who hasn't played Darklands should give it go. Although, it *looks* pretty awful on my 1080p monitor, wish I had an old CRT hanging around for DOS box games.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#11

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 974

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 20:35
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
It's a good JRPG-style game created by a western developer. It's pretty much a faithful attempt at making a JRPG style game, except without so much of the pretentious self-satisfied pontification that one not inclined to like JRPGs might associate with them after playing some of the more famous examples.
Indeed, therefore just started to play it.
Septerra Core has a very low resolution though. Any way to get it to play in a bit higher resolution?
ikbenrichard is offline

ikbenrichard

ikbenrichard's Avatar
Fulltime RPG watcher

#12

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 756

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 21:17
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Indeed, therefore just started to play it.
Septerra Core has a very low resolution though. Any way to get it to play in a bit higher resolution?
Don't remember if the official release had any resolution options, but there are some in the unofficial patch.

http://www.gog.com/forum/septerra_co…al_patch/page1

You can not change the FoV though so it may look wonky if you set it to a different aspect ratio than 4:3.
jhwisner is offline

jhwisner

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,510

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 22:06
Anyway, I've (re)bought Septerra Core and looking forward to replay it, I still remember stumbling upon some hidden areas once you grab the ship. Also I remember that back then I saw in files that there was an escape card, dunno if it's possible to get that one in the game at all and what's it used for. And lollygagging in a populated area with different party members often gains some nice items. Etc etc… Hell I dunno why I haven't replayed it for so long - it was just gathering dust on the shelf all this time…

Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#14

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,648

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 22:15
So is Septerra Core any good? - was somewhat put off by the fact that the res is only 640x480 (according to gamespot), which tends to be either a postage stamp in native mode or very pixellated when stretched.
Roq is offline

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

#15

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somerset/London UK
Posts: 974

Default 

February 15th, 2013, 23:47
It's an old game with dated graphics and low quality quicktime cutscenes, but you'll forgive the looks as the story will lure you in. It's a rare mobrespawning game I loved. But mobs respawn only when you exit the area and reenter it, they don't appear from the thin air all the time like for example in inquisitor.

Never forget to check stores and upgrade your items! Also make sure you explore everything as some cards are hidden.

Toka Koka
joxer is online now

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#16

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,648

Default 

February 16th, 2013, 14:20
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
So is Septerra Core any good? - was somewhat put off by the fact that the res is only 640x480 (according to gamespot), which tends to be either a postage stamp in native mode or very pixellated when stretched.
Playing now (never played it again).
Have to say it takes a bit of time to get use to it but i like it so far.
Its jrpg and wrpg blended.
ikbenrichard is offline

ikbenrichard

ikbenrichard's Avatar
Fulltime RPG watcher

#17

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 756

Default 

February 16th, 2013, 23:14
Grabbed it myself and while I'm enjoying it, the controls are certainly not all that intuitive. I nearly died in my first fight trying to figure out HOW to fight. Once I sorted out the UI, the game became much better!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#18

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,331
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

February 17th, 2013, 13:52
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Grabbed it myself and while I'm enjoying it, the controls are certainly not all that intuitive. I nearly died in my first fight trying to figure out HOW to fight. Once I sorted out the UI, the game became much better!!
haha, same here !
enjoying the game quite a bit now
ikbenrichard is offline

ikbenrichard

ikbenrichard's Avatar
Fulltime RPG watcher

#19

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 756
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GOG - RPG Weekend
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:51.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch