|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GOG - RPG Weekend

Default GOG - RPG Weekend

February 15th, 2013, 14:11
Good Old Games is running a RPG weekend promo with the following games: The two Witcher games, all Divinity games, Geneforge 1-5, the Gothic games, Torchlight, Septerra Core and Darklands.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 15th, 2013, 14:11
But sadly system shock 2 is not included

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2013, 15:20
Originally Posted by you View Post
But sadly system shock 2 is not included
And even more sadly, Forsaken Gods is. Luckily you can uncheck any of them you don't want though. Still… ew…

jhwisner

SasqWatch

February 15th, 2013, 15:26
SS2 is a new release, that's why. But cmon, 10€ is already a great price.

From all titles I don't have Geneforges and Darklands and somehow, am not interested into any of them. Forsaken Gods I'd buy only to my worst enemy.

Still I will spend some money - I do have Septerra Core, but not digital version and although it was a great game it wasn't popular enough back then - it got released the same year with PS:T.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2013, 15:32
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
SS2 is a new release, that's why. But cmon, 10 is already a great price.

From all titles I don't have Geneforges and Darklands and somehow, am not interested into any of them. Forsaken Gods I'd buy only to my worst enemy.

Still I will spend some money - I do have Septerra Core, but not digital version and although it was a great game it wasn't popular enough back then - it got released the same year with PS:T.
Yeah Septerra Core is a really good and often overlooked one. I usually can't stand JRPG-style games, but I really enjoyed that one. That is to say once I got around the game breaking bugs in the release version.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

February 15th, 2013, 16:33
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Yeah Septerra Core is a really good and often overlooked one. I usually can't stand JRPG-style games, but I really enjoyed that one. That is to say once I got around the game breaking bugs in the release version.
Got the old boxed copy somewhere and got the digital one on GOG already. great game.

Yme

Sentinel

February 15th, 2013, 17:13
None of these games ever interested me but you say that Septura Core is actually good? Is it a Western RPG with a JRPG face or good JRPG then?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

February 15th, 2013, 18:18
RPG creds satisfied - all games previously owned and played

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

February 15th, 2013, 18:25
Be aware that (unless it has changed) Septerra Core is broken on Win8. Curse you MS and your cheap game-breaking upgrades.

It is, however, a great game, but became a bit of a chore later on going back and forth across levels with endless (pointless) battles. I gave up around 75%, but went back later and finished it. The story/world is very interesting, and the characters are an interesting bunch.

Irien

Watcher

February 15th, 2013, 19:08
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
None of these games ever interested me but you say that Septura Core is actually good? Is it a Western RPG with a JRPG face or good JRPG then?
It's a good JRPG-style game created by a western developer. It's pretty much a faithful attempt at making a JRPG style game, except without so much of the pretentious self-satisfied pontification that one not inclined to like JRPGs might associate with them after playing some of the more famous examples.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

February 15th, 2013, 19:20
Think anyone who hasn't played Darklands should give it go. Although, it *looks* pretty awful on my 1080p monitor, wish I had an old CRT hanging around for DOS box games.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2013, 20:35
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
It's a good JRPG-style game created by a western developer. It's pretty much a faithful attempt at making a JRPG style game, except without so much of the pretentious self-satisfied pontification that one not inclined to like JRPGs might associate with them after playing some of the more famous examples.
Indeed, therefore just started to play it.
Septerra Core has a very low resolution though. Any way to get it to play in a bit higher resolution?

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

February 15th, 2013, 21:17
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
Indeed, therefore just started to play it.
Septerra Core has a very low resolution though. Any way to get it to play in a bit higher resolution?
Don't remember if the official release had any resolution options, but there are some in the unofficial patch.

http://www.gog.com/forum/septerra_co…al_patch/page1

You can not change the FoV though so it may look wonky if you set it to a different aspect ratio than 4:3.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

February 15th, 2013, 22:06
Anyway, I've (re)bought Septerra Core and looking forward to replay it, I still remember stumbling upon some hidden areas once you grab the ship. Also I remember that back then I saw in files that there was an escape card, dunno if it's possible to get that one in the game at all and what's it used for. And lollygagging in a populated area with different party members often gains some nice items. Etc etc… Hell I dunno why I haven't replayed it for so long - it was just gathering dust on the shelf all this time…

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2013, 22:15
So is Septerra Core any good? - was somewhat put off by the fact that the res is only 640x480 (according to gamespot), which tends to be either a postage stamp in native mode or very pixellated when stretched.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

February 15th, 2013, 23:47
It's an old game with dated graphics and low quality quicktime cutscenes, but you'll forgive the looks as the story will lure you in. It's a rare mobrespawning game I loved. But mobs respawn only when you exit the area and reenter it, they don't appear from the thin air all the time like for example in inquisitor.

Never forget to check stores and upgrade your items! Also make sure you explore everything as some cards are hidden.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 16th, 2013, 14:20
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
So is Septerra Core any good? - was somewhat put off by the fact that the res is only 640x480 (according to gamespot), which tends to be either a postage stamp in native mode or very pixellated when stretched.
Playing now (never played it again).
Have to say it takes a bit of time to get use to it but i like it so far.
Its jrpg and wrpg blended.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

February 16th, 2013, 23:14
Grabbed it myself and while I'm enjoying it, the controls are certainly not all that intuitive. I nearly died in my first fight trying to figure out HOW to fight. Once I sorted out the UI, the game became much better!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 17th, 2013, 13:52
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Grabbed it myself and while I'm enjoying it, the controls are certainly not all that intuitive. I nearly died in my first fight trying to figure out HOW to fight. Once I sorted out the UI, the game became much better!!
haha, same here !
enjoying the game quite a bit now

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » GOG - RPG Weekend