|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gas Powered Games - Wargaming Buys Gas Powered Games

Default Gas Powered Games - Wargaming Buys Gas Powered Games

February 14th, 2013, 17:21
RPS let us know that Gas Powered Games has been bought by the Belarus developer and publisher Wargaming.net, known for its World of Tanks game.
“Gas Powered Games’ heritage and development pedigree shows us just how valuable an addition Chris and his company will make to the Wargaming family,” said Wargaming head Victor Kislyi in a statement. “Gas Powered Games has a long track record of providing incredibly engaging AAA gaming experiences and we can’t wait to start working with them.”
So far, we don’t know owt else – how much GPG cost, whether any of its exitening franchises will be resurrected, whether Wildman really is as dead as dead gets, and whether the studio can rehire any of the staff it laid off earlier this year. We do know Wargaming is taking “full ownership” of the firm, and that this includes Chris Taylor himself. His own comment on the matter was:
“Wargaming growth in recent years has been tremendous, and we’re looking forward to joining one of the fastest growing gaming companies in the world. I’m sure our experience and expertise will help us contribute even more to Wargaming’s global success.”
Hopefully it’s good news. There are all sorts of fingers that can be pointed in regard to what went on at GPG lately, but if this is a road to giving people their jobs back – and hopefully making some splendid games too – it’s something to be glad of.
More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 14th, 2013, 17:21
It's too bad he had to sell when he seemed to really not want to. But it's the smart thing to do rather than let it all crash and burn from a a financial death spiral.

He loses some of his creative authority to the publisher but on the other hand he can work for a number of years without the stress of every single aspect of running a business. After that time and hopefully with his personal finances secured, he can always try again if he still has it in him to run a business.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

February 14th, 2013, 17:51
Yep. The computer gaming business seems to be going through a bit of a shakeout at the moment. I guess GPG is one of the victims of this.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

February 14th, 2013, 19:35
Don't imagine they would have bought GPG for the Wildman property, they must have something else in mind. Probably involves a cash shop…

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

February 14th, 2013, 20:10
from the history of gas powered games, it was riding on the very long ago history of successes with no recent in memory. I hope Wargaming for its sake got a very good deal, because management at GPG seems very much stuck spinning its wheels.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

February 14th, 2013, 21:24
Given who bought them were looking at another F2P game in the works. Just what we need more of.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

February 14th, 2013, 23:11
They have card wargame in alpha stage.

Also they are looking at creating a RTS game. Both rumored to be a browser FTPs.

BlackVoid

Watcher

February 15th, 2013, 07:29
Yeah, I hope people who hesitated pledging for Wildman will enjoy their next soulless cash cow tower defense RPG wannabe F2P freak. Rest in peace GPG.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch

February 15th, 2013, 17:46
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Yeah, I hope people who hesitated pledging for Wildman will enjoy their next soulless cash cow tower defense RPG wannabe F2P freak. Rest in peace GPG.
you are giving GPG way too much credit. try judging them again based on actual releases versus what is now factually vaporware.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

February 15th, 2013, 23:42
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Two words:

Space Siege.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gas Powered Games - Wargaming Buys Gas Powered Games