|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Underrail - Interview @ Indie-O-Rama

Default Underrail - Interview @ Indie-O-Rama

February 18th, 2013, 18:40
Indie-O-Rama interviewed Dejan Radisic of Stygian Software on Underrail. Just in case your Spanish is a bit rusty, IndieStatik is offering an English translation of that interview.
Indie-o-rama: Let’s talk about the elephant in the room. It’s obvious that Underrail was heavily influenced by Fallout, among other post-apocalyptic games. As we all know, Bethesda decided to go a different route with Fallout 3 or, as it’s commonly known, “Oblivion with guns”. That meant some fans were left craving for a game with the style and gameplay of the original. How much of a compromise has been met in order to acknowledge that influence, while at the same time staying true to your own ideas and concepts? Are the fans that approach Underrail expecting another Fallout, or would you rather prefer that they play the game without such prejudices?
Dejan Radisic: Well, I’m not so sure about the Fallout release timeline, but I think I started the development of Underrail even before Fallout 3 was released. Or at least I started working on the engine with the intention to build this kind of a game.
So back then there wasn’t, or at least I was not aware of, this craze with the fans that wanted the old Fallout back. And it certainly all started before this Wasteland sequel thing and all that. The game obviously draws some inspiration from Fallout, such as the mood, environments, some weapons, etc, but it wasn’t ever meant to be the new “real” Fallout. I don’t have a problem with people considering it that, though, and I believe that those who come to this game with such expectations won’t be disappointed and will find some of the old Fallout elements that are missing in the newer games. So in short, I do not mind it, but I’m also happy when people point out design differences and acknowledge the game as being it’s own thing.
More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 18th, 2013, 18:40
Anyone here who hasn't tried the Underrail alpha, please try it! (if you like turn-based, Fallout-inspired RPGs)

Who am I kidding? Nobody here is interested in those, right?

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

February 18th, 2013, 23:35
Nah, none of like those sort of games, so I doubt any of us bought it just as soon as we finished playing the demo!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 19th, 2013, 00:56
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
(if you like turn-based, Fallout-inspired RPGs)

Turn…based…fallout? Is that like… Fallout New Vegas with lots of mods on a very very very old computer?

jhwisner

SasqWatch

February 19th, 2013, 12:04
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Anyone here who hasn't tried the Underrail alpha, please try it! (if you like turn-based, Fallout-inspired RPGs)

Guess i am a nobody

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

February 19th, 2013, 13:04
This game looks so much like the SNES Shadowrun to me.. I love it!

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

February 19th, 2013, 17:15
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Turn…based…fallout? Is that like… Fallout New Vegas with lots of mods on a very very very old computer?
Nope, there's no way you can run that game on an old computer.

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

February 20th, 2013, 15:16
I really need to try this one…so many games, so little time.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Underrail - Interview @ Indie-O-Rama