|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Default The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

February 3rd, 2013, 22:31
Hmm, been listening to new MBV album. Must say (and this is probably heresy) it sounds/feels old, a little boring, and stuck in the early 90s. Disappointing

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

February 8th, 2013, 19:13
Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
Hmm, been listening to new MBV album. Must say (and this is probably heresy) it sounds/feels old, a little boring, and stuck in the early 90s. Disappointing
MBV's "Loveless" is in my top 10 "desert island discs" of all time. So I'm a bit anxious about hearing the new album. I'm waiting til I can give it my undivided attention and I haven't bought it yet - deciding which version to get.

That is disappointing if they are just retreading the same ground as before though, as much as I'd like a "Loveless Volume 2". MBV has always been about pushing the envelope into new directions. But this will probably please a lot of fans.

Myrkrel

Sentinel

February 8th, 2013, 22:43
Loveless is right up there for me and the new one would be a better fit if it was released 2-3 after that. I think as the Time amagzine review comment captured it very well "a blast from the past". I am dissapointed as I hoped for some freshness with the tried and true.

I am also very careful where I express my opinion as there isn't much listening for anything not 100% favourable for mbv.
Last edited by Hurls; February 9th, 2013 at 00:01. Reason: added last comment

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

February 9th, 2013, 01:03
Have to disagree with Sammy regarding Ancient Dreams. There's some classic Candlemass riffs on that album…Mirror, Mirror, Darkness in Paradise. "From the 13th Sun" is actually my favourite though; probably the most Sabbathy sounding album they did with that wonderful cosmic twist.

Going to see the Kyuss Lives! project in a couple of weeks with support from Orange Goblin. Takes me back to '97 or so before stoner doom was even semi-popular among the mainstream. Should be great.
Mammoth heavy grooves to you all.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

February 10th, 2013, 11:05
The music video for "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore. I generally hate Rap music, but there's something oddly catchy about this song, and there's a DeLorean in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2013, 17:22
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The music video for "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore. I generally hate Rap music, but there's something oddly catchy about this song, and there's a DeLorean in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes
It is really just pop anyway … I got my wife an iPhone for Christmas and that was the first song she bought, and she hates rap as a rule (worse because our older son is a hardcore rap fan)

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 10th, 2013, 18:07

pibbur who didn't post this

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

February 10th, 2013, 18:13

pibbur

pibbur who

Number 13

February 10th, 2013, 18:57
Listening to Danzig's latest, Red Death Saboath. Now I gave up on D a long time ago, I'll always love his classic work, but unfortunately everything past 4 is total shit. With the exception of course of the "Lost tracks of Danzig" in which he released a ton of old doomy danzig goodness that was meant for the early albums. Wonderful cd.

When Death had no Name - yeah now that's what I'm talkin about

But I digress and say this with no joy - Danzig's post 1994 work mostly is an affront. It has very little of the feel of his early stuff. Blackacidevil actually sends me into manic fits.

That all said, Red Death Saboath isnt that bad. At times it's actually quite good! Yay!
Perhaps this favored minion of Our Dark Overlord has finally been returned to favor, and has been given back some of his dark powers. Thank you, Satan

omg that hellfire smiley is called "CM", LOL

JDR - Just plz dont braid your hair or anything bro.
Last edited by xSamhainx; February 10th, 2013 at 19:30.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 12th, 2013, 04:25
Virgin Black.

nobody knows about them, but they really are quite good gothic/symphonic metal, lots of operatic vocals at times, chanting, screaming, its all over the place. Quality tho, been listening to their first 2 albums for a long time.

not an official vid someone just put their music to this trippy piece

lamenting kiss

museum of iscariot

walk without limbs

weep for me

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 12th, 2013, 07:05
I was recently introduced to a band called Porcupine Tree and have been listening to them a lot. How I never heard of this band before is beyond me. Its kind of a Pink Floyd (my favorite band) meets Rush meets Kings X with a bit of a heavier side at times. Great stuff. Ive basically been listening to "In Absentia" and "Stupid Dream"

Some other stuff I listened to today at work:
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Some Stevie Ray Vaughn concert (all-time favorite guitarist) in Nashville for Muscular Dystrophy

Nukester

Watcher

February 13th, 2013, 03:00
Well, in terms of where my musical head has been at … here is an article I recently wrote published at Gear Diary, called "Top 10 Jazz Albums of 2012 and More". If you are a jazz fan 2012 was a great year!

I have also started doing a music review each week for the site … fun stuff! Just revisited Fleetwood Mac's Rumours for the 35th anniversary release.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2013, 09:25
Porcupine tree is great. I would also recommend their earlier albums like The Sky Moves Sideways (Example: Dislocated Day http://youtu.be/aR4JpRXDtKY) and Signify. They are more psychedelic than their late editions, but I like that.

Stephen Wilson is also involved in a lot of side projects, which is well worth taking a look at. Storm Corrosion with Mikael Åkerfelt from Opeth is Excellent. He has also released a couple of solo albums. His latest, Grace of Drowning (example: Remainder the Black Dog http://youtu.be/MMZ98XHyKYg) is a favourite of mine. And another one is coming.

Pibbur who has considered going up a downward escalator

Last edited by pibbur who; February 13th, 2013 at 19:04.

pibbur who

Number 13

February 14th, 2013, 04:14
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Just revisited Fleetwood Mac's Rumours for the 35th anniversary release.
Fantastic album. Songbird was my wedding song

Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
Porcupine tree is great. I would also recommend their earlier albums like The Sky Moves Sideways (Example: Dislocated Day http://youtu.be/aR4JpRXDtKY) and Signify. They are more psychedelic than their late editions, but I like that
I have not heard one thing from them that I have not loved. So diverse. Ive compared them to at least a half dozen bands. The most recent one Ive compared some of their stuff to was Radiohead

Nukester

Watcher

February 14th, 2013, 10:59
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Well, in terms of where my musical head has been at … here is an article I recently wrote published at Gear Diary, called "Top 10 Jazz Albums of 2012 and More". If you are a jazz fan 2012 was a great year!
I'm always interested in getting into new kind of stuff I haven't been really listening to before. But, even though I do like my prog-rock (sometimes bordering on fusion), I've never been really able to get into Jazz.

@txa: Could you give me a few recommendations, just of the top of your head, on some modern (post 2k) Jazz that might help me (or anyone, for that matter) to start getting into Jazz? I know there are dozens of sub-genres and styles and so on.. but… any help greatly appreciated

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 18th, 2013, 02:02

It just doesn't get much better than this…

*EDIT* Youtube's embed code doesn't work anywhere does it?

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe
Last edited by azraelck; February 19th, 2013 at 02:28.

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

February 18th, 2013, 07:28
Originally Posted by azraelck View Post
*EDIT* Youtube's embed code doesn't work anywhere does it?
You can use the youtube bb code like this: [ youtube ]gZB57b3lPQE[ /youtube ] (without spaces).

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 19th, 2013, 02:28
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
You can use the youtube bb code like this: [ youtube ]gZB57b3lPQE[ /youtube ] (without spaces).
Ah, thanks. That was driving me nuts. Short trip, I know.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Me Grimlock

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via MSN to azraelck Send a message via Yahoo to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

February 20th, 2013, 11:42
Katie Melua - Nine milion bicykles.

Someone

Watcher

March 1st, 2013, 19:20

OCR FTW

Dhraiden

Hero in Search of Glory

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread