|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA cancels Dead Space 4

Default EA cancels Dead Space 4

March 5th, 2013, 22:02
Somewhat surprising considering that Dead Space 3 was just released a few weeks ago. Apparently DS4 was in pre-production at Visceral Games in their Montreal studio, but the game has been cancelled and the entire studio laid off. The reason, of course, was sales.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/de…d_space_3.html

Too bad… the first two games were really good. I think they shot themselves in the foot with DS3 though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 5th, 2013, 22:10
Its amazing how much immediate gratification has changed the landscape in anything media oriented. Its the same thing with movies. Don't have a huge opening weekend? DISASTER!!

It took Star Wars months to become a hit in 1977!

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

March 5th, 2013, 22:12
Blow out the party confetti party at my house.Just another series that was ruined over the multiple sequels.

Hm maybe now EA will learn something. Who am I kidding they won't.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 5th, 2013, 22:23
Dead Space was the only series EA had that I was interested in, but skipped DS3 because EA was behind it and because the iPhone game simply allowed you to purchase nodes with real money and patched the game just to add advertisements on the main menu.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

March 5th, 2013, 22:25
They ruined another series to make it appealing to even wider audience and it backfired,news like this always puts smile on my face.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

March 5th, 2013, 22:41
EA. Oh, EA.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

March 5th, 2013, 23:30
I cancelled EA after DA 2!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 5th, 2013, 23:33
But thank goodness Origin isn't cancelled!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 00:30
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
But thank goodness Origin isn't cancelled!
Well they cant blame there own service now can they. Easier to blame the studio and low sales. Typical business strategy.

"Frankly Sir /Madam I don't give a damn about your opinion."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 6th, 2013, 00:49
Aww, crap. And here I was sooo looking forward to pause my Dead Space 4 game to go into the in-game store to buy pink helmets for $5.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

March 6th, 2013, 01:23
Bad reporting is bad when local newspaper have more accurate information than video game news websites.

EA closed down more than Visceral Studio in Montréal (they had 3 "studios" in Mtl, only the BioWare one was untouched). It happened 2-3 weeks ago too. They also closed down BioWare San Franscisco (formerly EA2D, they made the facebook games).

It just look like downsizing to me, which mean EA didn't have a good 1st quarter…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 01:54
I don't see what those other studios have to do with Dead Space or how not mentioning them equals bad reporting.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2013, 08:32
Well, considering the direction I can't say I'm too affected by this. It's pretty clear they never had any intention of using the setting and playstyle to its maximum potential.

It was always about taking something that worked really well from the past - and corrupting it to make it appeal to as many people as possible. That's what EA does.

The team is obviously extremely talented, and I hope they find something more worthy of their time.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 6th, 2013, 11:26
It seems Dead Space is not dead, and Visceral has not been closed. Which would have been a surprise because they're also working on other brands like Army of Two.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

March 6th, 2013, 11:50
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I cancelled EA (..)
Quote of the day (even if it was yesterday ).

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

March 6th, 2013, 13:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't see what those other studios have to do with Dead Space or how not mentioning them equals bad reporting.
The entire article is written as if Visceral Studio Montreal closing down was a rumor, but Dead Space 4 being cancelled is a sure thing despite pre-production cancellation being like putting something on a tablet to use it later (happens all the time).

See it's the opposite that happened: Visceral Studio Montreal have been close down (that is not a rumor). As for Dead Space 4, the previous games have all been made at Visceral Redwood Shore…

The point of the other studios is that the closure of VSM had nothing to do with Dead Space not meeting sales, it was done because of EA restructuring. It's actually mentioned in the article, but ignored by the "journalist".

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 19:36
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The entire article is written as if Visceral Studio Montreal closing down was a rumor, but Dead Space 4 being cancelled is a sure thing despite pre-production cancellation being like putting something on a tablet to use it later (happens all the time).

See it's the opposite that happened: Visceral Studio Montreal have been close down (that is not a rumor). As for Dead Space 4, the previous games have all been made at Visceral Redwood Shore…

The point of the other studios is that the closure of VSM had nothing to do with Dead Space not meeting sales, it was done because of EA restructuring. It's actually mentioned in the article, but ignored by the "journalist".
The primary focus of the article is Dead Space, not EA. Whether or not Visceral Montreal closed due to restructuring is mostly irrelevant. "Restructuring" is usually what happens when monetary goals aren't being met, and they obviously weren't. I'm not refering to Dead Space alone, EA's issues most likely go deeper than that.

Afaik, there hadn't been an official announcement from EA. I assume that's why he used the term "rumored" even if it's obviously true. I don't have a problem with that.

Point is, Dead Space 4 was cancelled. That's primarily why people are reading the article.. not because they care about EA's restructuring. The article states that DS4 has been cancelled, which it has for now. That doesn't mean it can't be resurrected at a later date. My only issue would be the author stating that they've "effectively axed the series" which seems premature.

However, I think we both know that it's highly unlikely for a company like EA to revisit a brand that failed to meet their expectations once before.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2013, 20:11
I think they shot themselves in the foot with DS3 though.
I know you liked DS1 and DS2 and played DS3 but can you point out where it goes wrong? I liked DS1 and 2 for being genuine horrorgames when both Silent Hill 5 and Resident Evil 4 became regular shooters.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

March 6th, 2013, 20:23
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I know you liked DS1 and DS2 and played DS3 but can you point out where it goes wrong? I liked DS1 and 2 for being genuine horrorgames when both Silent Hill 5 and Resident Evil 4 became regular shooters.
I gave my impressions here and talked about some of the reasons I found it disappointing.

I still enjoyed DS3 to a certain degree, but I recommend waiting for a substantial decrease in price if you're going to purchase it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2013, 21:01
Point is, Dead Space 4 was cancelled. That's primarily why people are reading the article..
The Dead Space franchise being cancelled is a rumor until no Dead Space games is announced in the next 2-3 years. Visceral Studio Montréal closing down is not a rumor despite the article saying it is and it's an insults to all those employees who just lost their jobs saying that it is.

I just said that the article was crap you know.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA cancels Dead Space 4