|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kickstarter - Matt Barton's Kickstarter Project: Untitled

Default Kickstarter - Matt Barton's Kickstarter Project: Untitled

March 5th, 2013, 23:10
Matt Barton, who you might know from his regular chats on Armchair Arcade, is announcing his Kickstarter for a game with various rules and a quantifiable outcome. Ha is planning to ask for just $100 million, which might not be enough to fund it.
After days of planning and hours of editing, I have finally completed my Kickstarter announcement video. Please pledge right now to help me reach my funding goal of 100 million dollars in 30 days. That may sound like a large sum, but when you hear this pitch and what I'm planning, I think you'll agree it's well worth taking out a second mortgage on your home.
=I can't reveal too much without spoiling the game's many twists and surprises, but following are some FAQs and my responses.
Can you describe exactly the kind of game you're proposing here?
Of course. In short, this will be a game with a system in which players engage in an artificial conflict, defined by rules, that results in a quantifiable outcome. That's about as specific as I can be at this point, but hopefully that answers your question.
$100 million doesn't seem like enough money to make an indie game. How will you budget it out?
You're absolutely right—just the martinis, spa treatments, Belgian chocolates, and Star Wars collectibles for the office can quickly reach upwards of a million. Of course I also have a taste for exotic ales that has to be factored in. But I think there should be at least enough left over to pay an amateur coder a part-time salary to do the heavy lifting. I'm also planning on including art and perhaps some public domain music.
Will it have rats in it?
Who the hell do you think you're talking to here? Okay, that's all the time I have for answering questions. Now pledge!!!

More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 5th, 2013, 23:10
Awesome commentary of what NOT to do when you start a Kickstarter. Sad that there are a good number of Kickstarters out there guilty of one or more of the points Matt makes through good use of hyperbole. I want to see the Kickstarter concept succeed, nothing makes me happier than to imagine publishers outsted from video game development.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

March 5th, 2013, 23:18
I thought that video was hilarious when I saw it. Well done, Matt Barton.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

March 5th, 2013, 23:23
Pfft, he should start defining the stretch goals already. He'll get 100 million by the first days.

axellslade

Watcher

March 5th, 2013, 23:39
Instapledge

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

March 6th, 2013, 01:08
Does it come with a digital cloth map?

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 01:46
Actually there should be a kickstarter to make a kickstarter campaign maker.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

March 6th, 2013, 03:03
Was starting to laugh at him but then I saw the game shelf behind him. OMG!! Zork! Elite! Archon!! The original Yar's Revenge!!!

Great guns, I remember that Telengard box. I remember it sitting on the store shelf for eons - nobody would buy the thing. I don't remember the date but I do remember it was a long time after a game with essentially ASCII graphics had any business in retail.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

March 6th, 2013, 03:42
Although a bit silly, this kind of did remind me of the failed Kickstarter with Brenda Bradwaithe and Tom Hall. Matt Barton should have rented a Hummer for full effect.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

March 6th, 2013, 04:22
Loved the Linux bit.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

March 6th, 2013, 06:22
Wow, Weird Al has really let himself go…

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

March 6th, 2013, 07:43
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Although a bit silly, this kind of did remind me of the failed Kickstarter with Brenda Bradwaithe and Tom Hall. Matt Barton should have rented a Hummer for full effect.
My thoughts exactly.

stealth

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 10:18
The key to open the box is in the box.

This said, Kickstarter could help to sell largely developped projects and be a preorder or an online retailing service or help and fund the developpment of projects.

KS at the moment is leaning toward the preorder and online retailing service.

The guy in the video should consider that elaborating concepts takes time and resources and that KS was also intended to support that.

After surveying KS projects, it does not reach enough people though to help consistently to fund the elaboration of projects. Usually, the funding is done by a small number of high pledges.

$100,000 projects are often funded by 3000~4000 pledgers while innovation and the risks it involves would be better served by them being funded by 7000 pledgers, all at the minimal pledge.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

March 6th, 2013, 18:16
That was a good laugh or two. Love the DRM part.

teije

Watcher

March 6th, 2013, 20:30
Originally Posted by Dr. A
Wow, Weird Al has really let himself go…
I think you'll find its Chad Kroeger who has let himself go. However, he has made an awesome satirical video.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

March 7th, 2013, 04:23
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
I think you'll find its Chad Kroeger who has let himself go. However, he has made an awesome satirical video.
LMAO! Good one!

Its a cute video but a little long-winded, I think.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

March 8th, 2013, 16:56
Originally Posted by teije View Post
That was a good laugh or two. Love the DRM part.
Linux was the best part for me. That laugh seemed 100% genuine too. And the stretch goal.

Charles-cgr

Sentinel

March 9th, 2013, 16:42
Nice! I usually find his jokes (especially in game retrospective videos) quite lame, but that video was spot on! I can't stop laughing!

tolknaz

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kickstarter - Matt Barton's Kickstarter Project: Untitled