|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

Default Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

March 6th, 2013, 20:51
Wasn't interested initially but the pitch video showed correct focus and a potentially great foundations to create a game as a game in the spirit of PS:T. What's with the 900k goals though? Why has it been specifically 900k rather than 1m?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

March 6th, 2013, 20:55
Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
Now, if they called it an "action-RPG," THEN I'd be a bit more hesitant. I like many action RPGs, too, but that's a style and emphasis that I feel is detrimental to the theme.
Quoted for truth right there. If it's very true to Planescape Torment, I'll spend most of my time trying to get through the game without any fights.

That said there is very little detail about the game and game mechanics themselves, just a lot of lore, and possible play styles that might be allowed.

Though I'm starting to wonder if that's part of how Fargo markets the pitch. Like you have said before here, and on your twitter, people are more willing to fund pitches, than products they can actually see.

jwmeep

Watchdog

March 6th, 2013, 21:01
…aaand done.

Stretch goals?

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:02
Funded!

kuki

Watcher

And yeah, despite my initial hesitancy, I'm backing. The fixed the box issue, and were upfront about why they are making a second game. Honesty goes a long way with me.

jwmeep

Watchdog

Originally Posted by Kostaz View Post
What's with the 900k goals though? Why has it been specifically 900k rather than 1m?
Psychological effect maybe?

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:03
Originally Posted by Kostaz View Post
Wasn't interested initially but the pitch video showed correct focus and a potentially great foundations to create a game as a game in the spirit of PS:T. What's with the 900k goals though? Why has it been specifically 900k rather than 1m?
It's marketing - this Kickstarter has learned a lot from past campaigns, I wish that other (good) software projects would take a leaf out of Brain Fargo's book, but they often blunder in some way.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:03
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Not really interested in so called "spiritual successors". That label is just meaningless wankery to me, since they are never even half as good as the original. But we'll see…
never is a very long time. Also, it's the original band making all the right sounds, right?

Bedwyr

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 21:04
And it's funded.

Bedwyr

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 21:08
Despite my reservations I just splurged over $100. The pitch was excellent, the team sounds solid, and the artwork nice. Like I said, I am probably letting BS overwhelm common sense.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:12
I'm… not going to fund this one until I hear more. PsT wasn't really my thing, and, although I'm intrigued by some aspects of it, I'm not yet sold. But good luck with it.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:15
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Despite my reservations I just splurged over $100. The pitch was excellent, the team sounds solid, and the artwork nice. Like I said, I am probably letting BS overwhelm common sense.
And I am getting an excellent $95 worth of good feelings and awesome BS.

If you're not from the US you probably won't get this, but I'll throw it up anyhow:

Bedwyr

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 21:19
I think a million dollars is a psychological barrier for many would-be backers (as in, after $1 million, they say, "Now you are just being greedy!"). With Wasteland 2, Fargo decided it would take over $1 million, but was willing to pitch in $100k personally to back the deal. So he went for $900K as a bare-minimum.

I think they've probably set their sites higher for Torment, but plan to re-use some technology from WL2, and use profits from WL2 to provide additional funding if necessary. With digital distribution and no publisher, they start making a profit from their very first sale.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

March 6th, 2013, 21:24
900k in 6 hours!!!!!Interestingly PS:T was financial failure it barely broken even(IIRC it sold only around 80k copies in year it came out but it was long time ago so someone correct me if I am wrong),and now it's on top 5 selling games on GoG and it's spiritual successor is breaking records on kickstarter on concept alone.It's nice this masterpiece is getting recognition it deserves.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

March 6th, 2013, 21:25
They are making these games on Unity. It's such a kick arse platform for making games and I reckon should reduce the cost and time to market.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:27
Holy cow, that was fast. I didn't even get around to pledging yet!

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

March 6th, 2013, 21:31
Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post

Ooooooooh! I don't camp there. But I see what you mean.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

March 6th, 2013, 21:57
Past 1mil day one.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 6th, 2013, 22:12
So far going (much?) better than Eternity. Can't help but think that the most credit should go to Fargo and co's expertise on Kickstarter timing etc rather then the pitch itself.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

March 6th, 2013, 22:19
On twitter, KS said that the Ouya crossed $1m in 8h 22m. This was in less than 7.

Bedwyr

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick