|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Demonicon - Interviews & Hands-On (including Dark)

Default Demonicon - Interviews & Hands-On (including Dark)

March 13th, 2013, 01:17
Gamereactor speaks with Philipp Keydel, the QA Manager at Noumena Studios, about The Dark Eye: Demonicon at an event in Berlin, with the result being a video with some in-game footage and talking heads.
Thirteen1 talked to the same person for their magazine and also have some info from a hands-on session of Demonicon and Dark. Click and drag to move through the pages.

More information.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 13th, 2013, 01:17
I'm looking forward to both games. Some might scoff but I'm not excepting anything great.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 13th, 2013, 01:35
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I'm looking forward to both games. Some might scoff but I'm not excepting anything great.
Same here, expecting these in addition to Mars: War Logs. Seems like a good year for European RPGs.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

March 13th, 2013, 05:21
I liked the sound of what the video interview talked about regarding "The Dark Eye". Another game goes on my radar, its looking very good for interesting upcoming games.

Arkadia7

Sentinel

March 13th, 2013, 13:52
WHat drove the decision to move to a much darker environment and setting in comparison to previous TDE games ?

The original games were released many years ago and fans of trhe serioes have grown older. We wanted the new game to reflect this by providing a more mature game for those fans, as well as having a game that is more representative of the modern genre's themes.
In short : "dark & gritty is what mature gamers want and what's the current fashion in the RPG genre right now."

Thank you for making it so easy for me to decide not to buy this game.

I have the suspicion that their decision was driven by the downfall of Radon Labs and their Drakensang series, too : Nice and cute graphics just don't sell.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 13th, 2013, 15:01
I've read a really meh opinion on Demonicon from a hands-on preview like a year ago; there wasn't a lot to do in that version though. I'm willing to wait for some more informed reviews.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

March 13th, 2013, 22:46
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
In short : "dark & gritty is what mature gamers want and what's the current fashion in the RPG genre right now."

Thank you for making it so easy for me to decide not to buy this game.

I have the suspicion that their decision was driven by the downfall of Radon Labs and their Drakensang series, too : Nice and cute graphics just don't sell.
Alrik the story is about two siblings accepting or denying there dark gifts. Of course it will be dark and gritty. I don't see cute graphics working.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 14th, 2013, 13:12
In this setting the "dark & gritty" thing is imho a good choice - but what I hate is that statement like "all of our mature customers want it so !" I'm mature, I'm a customer, and I definitively do NOT want it so - which means to me that their generalization is just plain wrong.

Of course I'm in the minority here, but even the existence of minorities means that one just cannot say "everybody wants it so".

It's like … as if I'd say "everybody likes to eat bread !". That's wrong, because people with an allergy against Gluten just cannot eat bread like everyboy else.
( Read here for more : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet )

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Demonicon - Interviews & Hands-On (including Dark)