|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shroud of the Avatar - Update #13, Housing

Default Shroud of the Avatar - Update #13, Housing

March 22nd, 2013, 20:37
It's all about housing.
As promised, we’re ready to reveal more design details. Based on feedback from the forums we’re revealing some details on housing!
Let me jump right into the stuff you guys really want to hear:
  • House maintenance and acquisition can be paid for with in game currency (KS houses have no upkeep cost ever)
  • House deeds can be traded between players
  • Houses are 100% secure for items stored in them though not always 100% accessible due to nasty sieges by evil forces
  • Houses exist in shared spaces (not instanced) and everyone will see your house and its decorations
  • Houses can be decorated both inside and out
  • Houses will be fairly limited but more will be added over time as we grow the world
  • City houses > Town houses > Village houses
  • Vendors for houses will be paid a percentage of the item that they sell (KS vendors will not take a cut of the profits)
Ok, hopefully that answered 80% of the housing questions we've received! For the other 20%, here are details, in written and video form:

More information.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 22nd, 2013, 20:37
Just don't get this housing stuff. Hopefully it won't be too intrusive and you can just ignore it.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 22nd, 2013, 21:22
First the shallow stretch goals, now this? Blah.

Santos

Ass-hat

March 22nd, 2013, 21:30
Well, I'm interested in my own home. This might provide you with some more info:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19832

If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch

March 22nd, 2013, 22:24
Yeah, but can I get a man cave?

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

March 22nd, 2013, 22:26
All I need is a room somewhere - to stash all that rubbish that LB insists on putting in his games.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 22nd, 2013, 23:31
I remember that entertaining bug in U9 first hand where they give you a room in the LB Castle for just dropping your useless junk - and it crashes the game when there's too much.

I would be much more interested in a toolset to make my own areas. I wonder if anyone has brought this up with him.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

March 22nd, 2013, 23:34
I used to party with that guy on the left during High School, guy can drink

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

March 22nd, 2013, 23:44
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
I used to party with that guy on the left during High School, guy can drink
Certainly looks like the kind of guy you could enjoy a few pints with.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 23rd, 2013, 04:45
Getting a Fable vibe from this game. I hope it's better than that. Time will tell.

mbuddha

Watchdog

March 23rd, 2013, 04:50
Originally Posted by mbuddha View Post
Getting a Fable vibe from this game. I hope it's better than that. Time will tell.
Ouch. And I thought that I was being harsh

Santos

Ass-hat

March 23rd, 2013, 05:43
I'm not sure why…did you read the interview things with RG today?

rune_74

SasqWatch

March 23rd, 2013, 12:41
I don't get it, is housing really that high of a priority?

I would expect more indepth updates on the off-line single player campaign to convince those skeptics, like me, who do not care about the on-line features or MMO aspects.

Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Ouch. And I thought that I was being harsh
Yes, very cruel indeed .

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 23rd, 2013, 21:04
Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
I dont't get it, is housing eally that high of a priority?
Housing is very important to the MMO set.

Originally Posted by Asdraguuhl View Post
I would expect more indepth updates on the off-line single player campaign to convince those skeptics, like me, who do not care about the on-line features or MMO aspects.
That's because, first and foremost, this game is a quasiMMO. Make no mistake, that's where the focus lies.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

March 23rd, 2013, 21:46
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ultima now has two sets of fans to appeal to: single-player and MMO. The MMO community outnumbers the single-player community and they want to be catered to same as us. Ignoring them means shutting out a big customer base. If that's a two-by-four to your deepest dreams and wishes, I'm sorry. But that's how things lie.

Bedwyr

Sentinel

March 23rd, 2013, 23:17
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
I don't play MMORPGs and I admit being guilty of complete ignorance on the matter.
That's because, first and foremost, this game is a quasiMMO. Make no mistake, that's where the focus lies.
It certainly looks that way as they are not putting much effort in "selling" us the off-line single player experience. I guess it is just "move along, nothing to see here" for me.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel

March 23rd, 2013, 23:26

Yeah make no mistake, a forum goer has foretold it. They keep telling us that they want to have as deep as or deeper story then all the other Ultima's. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before jumping to incorrect assumptions.

Here is a two p art interview that talks about a lot of stuff:

http://www.dagonslair.com/dossiers/i…of-the-avatar/
http://www.dagonslair.com/dossiers/i…of-the-avatar/

Scroll down for english

Last edited by rune_74; March 23rd, 2013 at 23:44.

rune_74

SasqWatch

March 24th, 2013, 01:41
Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ultima now has two sets of fans to appeal to: single-player and MMO. The MMO community outnumbers the single-player community and they want to be catered to same as us. Ignoring them means shutting out a big customer base. If that's a two-by-four to your deepest dreams and wishes, I'm sorry. But that's how things lie.
I really hate what you wrote. But I think you're right.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch

March 24th, 2013, 02:14
The housing sounds great. I'm glad that they are not instanced and everyone can see your house. Hopefully there is a ton of unique, cool lawn ornaments and different things you can display out there.

I'm currently playing LOTRO and just getting into the housing features. It's pretty cool, I can't lie. I enjoy the idea of decorating my home and having others come and see it, or just decorate it for myself. It adds an interesting touch to an RPG. And when the housing is non-instanced, that's even better.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

March 24th, 2013, 03:37
I cannot stress reading those interviews I posted enough, you will get a lot of info out of them.

A question and answer that should put some fears at rest:

So since I think of the big thing that is setting Shroud of the Avatar apart from the single player Ultima series is the multiplayer aspect, what would you say to those people who are predominantly single players, to make them want to try the multiplayer aspect?

Yeah, so first I would say, don’t forget you can play this game completely solo player and offline. So if that really is the way you prefer to play, fear not we will support you in playing it and the game is being written as a story driven traditional Ultima style game, so I hope to make you very happy.

That being said, here is why I believe that you should play online even you prefer solo player. Because if you play online, you can still play solo player online. Meaning you don’t see any other player ever in the world but what you do see is all the persistent world changes that all of the players add into the game. And so if for example I’m playing the game solo player and I come back to the town where I live or I’m visiting with some regularity. If a player has built a new blacksmith shop that is producing fantastic weapons, his vendor will be there so I can buy and sell some great new creations he’s created. If we have, we’re hoping the put even the ability for people to make art in the game, if there is a person who is an artist in the game and is maybe creating painting you can put on the wall of your home, you’ll be able to go and see through their vendor of the NPC vendor that is at their shop, the art that they sell. So all of the persistent contribution will download to you as long as you at least play online. And I think that there is no harm even to the solo player experience, I believe it is only beneficial to the solo player experience to see the world grow and evolve due to the contribution of other players.

Last edited by rune_74; March 24th, 2013 at 03:55.

rune_74

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shroud of the Avatar - Update #13, Housing