|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - How I Caused a Kickstarter to Launch

Default Original Sin - How I Caused a Kickstarter to Launch

March 28th, 2013, 01:13
Swen Vincke has written an article on his blog with information on the launch of the Kickstarter for Divinity: Original Sin.
Launching your Kickstarter campaign in the middle of Torment’s campaign ? (In case you didn’t know yet, Larian launched a Kickstarter campaign for Divinity: Original Sin today)
Well…
And you are doing this without any notable PR ? Are you bananas ?
Well…
And you’re doing this during the week of GDC and PAX ?
Well…
it’s a long story…
Since I don’t have that much time right now because I find myself doing plenty of work I thought I was only going to be doing next week, I’ll keep it short, but it is worth writing about.
You see, we didn’t plan on announcing our Kickstarter today. But somebody else decided for us, and that somebody was…
Myrthos !
Yes, the Myrthos from RPGWatch, my first stop in the morning to get my RPG news. He wrote a really positive hands-on article about Divinity: Original Sin (calling it Divine Divinity on steroids) for which we’re really grateful, but…
He published it today!
And… we only expected it to be published once the Kickstarter page was live, next week…
So…
Everything suddenly went into overdrive. Now for clarity, Myrthos is not to blame – it’s bad communication on our side combined with the complexities of running a Kickstarter campaign from Belgium that caused this, but that’s a different story altogether. But still, it did leave us with a major problem.
To be honest I don't recall it being under embargo. I have several hours of audio recordings I went through for the article and it wasn't on those either. The only embargo was on not mentioning the Kickstarter itself.
It's a good thing I am very slow in making my articles I suppose.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 28th, 2013, 01:13
Congrats

Elwro

Filthy Codex Spy

March 28th, 2013, 01:30
haha

Either way, hope this will get funded. <3 (And it looks like it should).

Jaesun

Absolutely Fabulous

March 28th, 2013, 01:41
I don't read it as blaming you in any way - The tone sounds more like Sven appreciated the positive coverage and decided to push the button early for that reason. In any case we already knew they were going to do a Kickstarter at some stage, just not exactly when.

And the games starting to do pretty well + hopefully will do better when other sites catch up with it. Notice it's in the top ten on Kicktraq now (no idea how they calculate those rankings).

It's a pretty good pitch too. Reckon the two game Dragon Commander tier will be popular.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 28th, 2013, 02:09
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Notice it's in the top ten on Kicktraq now (no idea how they calculate those rankings).
Kicktraq is based on "income", it ranks the kickstarter that are making the most money, but I'm not sure if it's by hour or day…

And they have to put a Dragon Commander add-on so I can up my pledge

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 28th, 2013, 02:17
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Kicktraq is based on "income", it ranks the kickstarter that are making the most money, but I'm not sure if it's by hour or day…

Original Sin made more money today than one entry there made since launch. Seems strange that is below it in the list.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

March 28th, 2013, 02:27
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
Original Sin made more money today than one entry there made since launch. Seems strange that is below it in the list.
hmm… maybe there is some #of pledges involved too.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 28th, 2013, 02:37
baaaad Myrthos lol

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

March 28th, 2013, 12:28
Myrthos was very, very naughty.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 28th, 2013, 16:58
One of the easiest pledge decisions I've made. Can't wait to mod in that toolset!

Falchor

Watchdog

March 28th, 2013, 20:58
I'll pledge because he speaks highly of the watch. That kind of behaviour has to be endorsed.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

March 28th, 2013, 21:04
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post

They have that one! At 65$ you get both games. A no-brainer for me since I imagine I will like Dragon Commander quite a bit although RT-strategy is normally not my cup of tea.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

March 28th, 2013, 22:33
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
They have that one! At 65$ you get both games. A no-brainer for me since I imagine I will like Dragon Commander quite a bit although RT-strategy is normally not my cup of tea.
I'm already at $65, but I was thinking of going to $95. Although, I can always buy Dragon Commander later as well.

I still have a few days to make up my mind.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

March 28th, 2013, 22:55
While it might have been better for them to have had some more time before launching the Kickstarter, I was going to pledge no matter when it came out.

Xian

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - How I Caused a Kickstarter to Launch