|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA Responds to Harsh Criticism

Default EA Responds to Harsh Criticism

April 6th, 2013, 03:11
It's time for more EA news and it's a dozy. After being nominated by Consumerist as the Worst Company in America for its second year in a row, EA CEO Peter Moore shot back with a post on the EA news feed.

As you'd imagine, he admitted to the company being capable of doing better, but argued that it's also doing many things right. Five main points were made in rebuttal, which were the following:

Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It’s not. People still want to argue about it. We can’t be any clearer – it’s not. Period.

Some claim there’s no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

We’ve seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really…

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we’re seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.
Peter Moore seems pretty proud of himself. If you seriously have any qualms with the company you need to consider making your point with your wallet. Seeing EA get flamed left and right but having the company continually report green revenues is ridiculous. If gamers really seek change they're going to have to do a lot more than complain on blogs, because that isn't working.

Before we let are hate and disappointment out remember this one fact. The ones who complain, and cast doubt are in the minority. He is right millions play there games despite everything they do.

Link-http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 12th, 2013 at 22:03.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 6th, 2013, 08:40
PR fronts are like politicians when speaking in public.

Worthless as an indicator of anything.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 6th, 2013, 09:56
Looks like the typical "we are awesome, and if you don't agree then you're a smelly poo head" response that PR people and politicians love so much. Someone give him a glass of milk and a cookie, pat him on the head, and send him on his way.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

April 6th, 2013, 10:02
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
Looks like the typical "we are awesome, and if you don't agree then you're a smelly poo head" response that PR people and politicians love so much. Someone give him a glass of milk and a cookie, pat him on the head, and send him on his way.
Well he is the new EA CEO. He has to look good for his new masters. The dreaded stockholders, and the board of directors..

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 6th, 2013, 11:14
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
…you need to consider making your point with your wallet. Seeing EA get flamed left and right but having the company continually report green revenues is ridiculous.
THAT is the point of this excellent article !

Gloo

Sentinel

April 6th, 2013, 11:50
To be nominated for the worst company in America is pretty impressive.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2013, 12:18
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
And maybe indeed a sign that people take gaming too seriously?

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 6th, 2013, 13:17
Harsh criticism, so much of it is unrelated to gaming.

Protesting a choice of an athlete for a game cover? I wonder how many times this kind of behaviour happened before.

Only the Sim city protest is linked to gaming and yet, it was explained that it came from the studios, not the publisher.

With criticism like that, it is easy to take high ground and mock it. That is probably the best to do.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2013, 14:11
Always online requirement on a single player game is DRM. Double Period.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

April 6th, 2013, 14:26
Worst company because people don't like the ending of ME3. LOL I like this guy. Seriously the Internet gaming community is full of whiny bitches and he is calling them out. EA is a publisher and that appears to be a crime. They happen to be a very big publisher which is a very big crime.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2013, 14:32
Dunno why America nominates EA for the worst company, but in my case it definetly is worst.
Ubilike DRM but in worse shape (lurking malware that runs always in your tray by default), overexpensive con the masses stuff (DLC), taxfree and probably illicit currencies that open a space to money laundry schemes (bioware points, simpoints, whatever points) and permabans+accremoval for whatever silly reason. Add to this the crap support when you buy EA game on Gamersgate and not on Origin - I really can't think of worse gaming company out there.

They're a big publisher? That's not an excuse, other big publishers out there respect their customers.

And saying "we're not the worst, just look at those numbers"… What logic is that? Consumers didn't vote on someone's business success and money figures. If they did, then mafia would be on the top of the list of best things ever.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 6th, 2013, 15:23
I didn't want Steam or Origin, but sadly you have no choice if you want to play certain games. I don't have the strength to refuse to buy games I have really been looking forward too… BUT with KS and similar projects becoming more popular, several of my upcoming favorite games will be separated from either DRM system - *that* is me voting with my wallet! The fact remains though that many people simply don't consider the issues that many of us fret about as issues… they're happy to have there consumer rights eroded it seems, sometimes only discovering later that they should have paid attention. I refuse to buy any (non-network-centric) 'always online' game though - That's where I draw the line.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

April 6th, 2013, 16:44
Most of the EA games I play are great which in the end is all I care about. And what publisher isn't reviled again???

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

April 6th, 2013, 17:21
EA sucked long before ME 3 came out. I think that game was just the final straw for some people, but they had many more travesties before that. The sheer need that they seem to have to put multiplayer on every damn game that they are involved in not to mention the various DRM's they do is enough to keep me away for life.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

April 8th, 2013, 19:35
This is a good example of why letting people vote on anything is a bad idea.

Trelow

Watchdog

April 9th, 2013, 16:23
Well, while most people here know what I think about EA, it is nowhere near the worst company in America.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

April 9th, 2013, 16:58
I would need to have insider information to evaluate which is the worst company. Who gives a shit, really?

All I know is that I absolutely despise their approach to publishing and the direction they want to go with for the industry.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

April 9th, 2013, 20:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Gary Bettman wost voted worst CEO and the NHL responded by giving him a $7million contract.

Worst company? Isn't there a guy on the Food network that tries to turn around restaurants that try to poison their customers?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

April 9th, 2013, 22:31
Let me put it this way…..they are EA. It doesn't matter what they think, at least to me.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

April 9th, 2013, 22:41
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
And maybe indeed a sign that people take gaming too seriously?
Thats what I said to myself when I read this topic.

EA surely has a reputation for destroying gamestudios. Heck it may be the one of the worst videogame publishers, but they are saints if compared to real villains. All that EA does is publish videogames. They have notoriously bad customer service and I can relate to people who despise always online policies, but seriously the worst company in America?

As far as I know EA doesn't pollute nature or violate health regulations daily bases. They don't sell weapons to third world countries either.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » EA Responds to Harsh Criticism