|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Who Owns NOLF?

Default Who Owns NOLF?

April 7th, 2013, 00:58
No One Lives Forever (NOLF) and No One Lives Forever 2 definitely has a special place in many gamers library's.

At this point though no one knows if there is going to be a continuation in the series. The primary issues is that it's hard to say who actually owns the rights to NOLF. The IP was formerly with Vivendi Games, which later merged with Activision.

However it's not as simple as that. Here's what Dan Amrich, Social Media Manager at Activision, had to say on the subject-
The person that I normally talk to about this stuff does not believe that we currently the rights. They've never seen it, they've never been given the permission to put that stuff on Good Old Games. He said, basically, 'If we had it, I would love to be able to reissue those old games.' So, that leaves the question if Activision no longer has the rights to No One Lives Forever, who does? Monolith was the developer that handled those games, and they are now part of WB. So I thought, maybe at the time when Activision was saying 'we'll keep these, we'll leave these, we'll sell these, whatever,' maybe Monolith stepped up and took their IP back. So I contacted a friend at Monolith… and he doesn't know. Uh, so, unfortunately, all I can definitively say is that at this time I do not believe that Activision has the rights to No One Lives Forever.
Link- http://oneofswords.com/2013/04/one-o…orever-rights/

All I can say is what a shame. This seems to be the main problem for allot of older ip's that gamers want remade. No one knows who owns what. GOG expressed an interest in releasing them on there service, but that is stalled all because of this.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 7th, 2013 at 02:23.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 7th, 2013, 08:17
Noone is interested in making more money from owning that IP?

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2013, 08:51
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Noone is interested in making more money from owning that IP?
There is interest from gamers. Activision has no interest though,and they don't even know if they still own it. Seems nobody knows at this point.

As it stands it's a dead Ip as nobody knows who owns the license to sell it. It's been years and the game is stuck in limbo from licensing.

Last edited by Couchpotato; April 7th, 2013 at 09:31.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 7th, 2013, 11:18
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
…No One Lives Forever 2 definitely has a special place in many gamers library's…
I'm definitely not one of these ! Never understood the buzz around this game as I found it as some sort of arcade game. Never had any pleasure trying to play it. By comparison I much more enjoyed a game like Dungeon lords, which is a commonly loathed game.

Gloo

Sentinel

April 7th, 2013, 11:22
Originally Posted by Gloo View Post
I'm definitely not one of these ! Never understood the buzz around this game as I found it as some sort of arcade game. Never had any pleasure trying to play it. By comparison I much more enjoyed a game like Dungeon lords, which is a commonly loathed game.
Well to each there own I wouldn't touch Dungeon lords. That game had three releases and it's still not improved. NOLF the first one was better so I can agree partially.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 7th, 2013, 12:13
Never had any pleasure trying to play it. By comparison I much more enjoyed a game like Dungeon lords, which is a commonly loathed game.
That's like saying you'd rather eat a shit sandwich than chocolate ice-cream.

I'd love to see NOLF 1&2 on GOG. I voted for them in the Community Wishlist.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2013, 14:25
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That's like saying you'd rather eat a shit sandwich than chocolate ice-cream.
To each his taste ! Sorry but I never tasted a shit sandwich so won't be able to compare the two. I guess you did, so I'll rely on you to evaluate wich one's the tastier.

Gloo

Sentinel

April 7th, 2013, 17:52
I have NOLF 1&2 Special Edition with complete Soundtrack - love it.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

April 7th, 2013, 21:02
Sorry but I never tasted a shit sandwich.
Yes you have. It's called Dungeon Lords.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2013, 22:25
I own the NOLF games, but I guess that is not what our are asking?

They may not be to everyone's taste but if you ask me they definitely belong at a place like GOG. After they got shock2 I wouldn't rule out anything.

stealth

Sentinel

April 7th, 2013, 23:30
Originally Posted by stealth View Post
I own the NOLF games, but I guess that is not what our are asking?

They may not be to everyone's taste but if you ask me they definitely belong at a place like GOG. After they got shock2 I wouldn't rule out anything.
Of course we do. We just don't know who owns the ip rights. They will never be on gog till it's figured out. The originals have problems on newer os's. It would be nice to have them released with compatibility patches.

Last edited by Couchpotato; April 7th, 2013 at 23:54.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 7th, 2013, 23:36
That's really amazing to me. A fairly successful, brand new IP and it's flat out lost in the shuffle?? How much is Activision paying these guys?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 8th, 2013, 00:28
Yes you have. It's called Dungeon Lords.
No I haven't, it's just you having crap tastes

Sorry but I consider D.L. as being an honest and fun game but Nolf as being childish and ridiculous. For me it's a game well suited for console and casual gamers. I understand that's a kind of games some can find fun but that's just not my kind of fun. I actually played it for some time but couldn't go past the arcadish style and cartoonesque visuals and gameplay.

Gloo

Sentinel

April 8th, 2013, 06:06
No I haven't, it's just you having crap tastes .
Not just me. Apparently most of us have crap taste.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dungeon-lords

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/th…-lives-forever
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/no…y-in-harms-way

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 8th, 2013, 09:04
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
There is interest from gamers. Activision has no interest though,and they don't even know if they still own it. Seems nobody knows at this point.

As it stands it's a dead Ip as nobody knows who owns the license to sell it. It's been years and the game is stuck in limbo from licensing.
Or the owner knows he/she owns it and waits for the best moment to get money out of it.
Business sense.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

April 8th, 2013, 15:01
As female spy Cate Archer, complete a series of 15 missions across 60 levels
Use gadgets such as explosive lipstick, a cigarette lighter welder, a robotic canine, and a barrette lockpick
Multiplayer support for up to 16 agents in a choice of "good versus evil" or deathmatch play
Assume the role of beautiful and crafty Cate Archer — move over Lara Croft!
I guess if they can reboot the Tomb Raider franchise, a Cate Archer reboot might generate some interest. I see you can pick this up for 10 bucks and change on E-Bay, I wonder if it plays nice with WIN7

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

April 8th, 2013, 15:09
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
I guess if they can reboot the Tomb Raider franchise, a Cate Archer reboot might generate some interest. I see you can pick this up for 10 bucks and change on E-Bay, I wonder if it plays nice with WIN7
The first one was an absolute masterpiece indeed, one of my all time favorites. I loved the second as well, but not as much. Unfortunately I never got the second one working properly on win7.

I would love to see reissues of both optimized to work well on modern computers with native widescreen-support etc. without having to fiddle around a lot. But they wont as that is the purpose of my post.

Last edited by Couchpotato; April 8th, 2013 at 18:03.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2013, 17:24
I think the second one was even better than the first. It is a mystery to me how that series did not generate enough sales. I blame it all on contract jack!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

April 8th, 2013, 19:58
Not just me. Apparently most of us have crap taste.
I'm pretty sure you never heard what mister Léo Campion had to say about the status of majority and minority ? He said something like that (hope I won't lost much in my poor translation…) : "The minority have this of upper to the majority, it contains a lower number of imbecile ! "

For those wondering who was this gentleman, he was many things like an artist, a free thinker, a free-mason and humorist but overall I know him for being an anarchist. And for those ready to jump on that, please read about the definition of anarchy…

Gloo

Sentinel

April 9th, 2013, 13:06
NOLF never appealed to me. I don't like the subject matter and I don't like being forced into playing a female protagonist.

But I recognised that it was somewhat more interesting than the average shooter back in the day.

That said, System Shock represents the peak of what developers have been able to do with a first person shooter as the core experience - and it has yet to be truly surpassed. Bioshock Infinite surpasses it as a story delivery device - but not as a game.

I consider Half Life and games like NOLF to be weak and tiny in scope in comparison. Oh, I know they weren't trying to imitate Shock - but they were still trying to take shooters beyond just shooting. In that way, NOLF is but a quirky novelty when measured against the best.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Who Owns NOLF?