|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin Statue for RPGWatch

Default Original Sin Statue for RPGWatch

April 16th, 2013, 10:03
Come on, Watch! The Codex alread passed $1500! To arms! To wallets! to credit cards!

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 16th, 2013, 12:00
Doubled my donation so that if I manage to get a digital copy of the game, I want to have paid a fair price for it.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

April 16th, 2013, 15:16
Don't worry GBG, I'll take care of the Item, book, and NPC right now

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 15:43
All hail the crpgnut!

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2013, 17:24
I think I figured out the sending money stuff. I don't use Paypal often…..

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 18:38
Nice Good to see this has picked up. A little sad for having lost the top spot but glad to see we're catching up. I would love if we could make the 2.5k goal…

Heck, If we do get closer to it, I'll consider upping my donation a bit to give us a better chance of making it.

Steam: Galaad97

Galaad

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Galaad Send a message via Skype™ to Galaad

April 16th, 2013, 18:39
Wow! Thanks to all of you who contributed and made this possible. We now have the item, NPC and book in our grasp

What item shall we create. What will the NPC look like. Who will he/she be?

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2013, 19:29
I plan on keeping my current pledge at kickstarter until the last couple of hours so the number stays (a tiny little bit) higher, then reduce it to $25 (for 1 copy) and move the surplus over here and hopefully get another copy as was my original plan.

I'm ambivalent about the tower reward though: I'd rather they made us a really nice looking watch tower instead of basing it on what we have now — a tower which could then be transformed into a fantastic looking new logo.

Oh, and crpgnut:

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2013, 19:29
Originally Posted by Galaad View Post
Nice Good to see this has picked up. A little sad for having lost the top spot but glad to see we're catching up. I would love if we could make the 2.5k goal…

Heck, If we do get closer to it, I'll consider upping my donation a bit to give us a better chance of making it.
I was just trying to get us to the stuff, wasn't trying to take top billing I too could give more if we get much closer to the other target.

Note that I didn't give a dime to the kickstarter, so this was my way to get a copy of the game and still benefit the whole site.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 19:38
I think it'd be nice to make the NPC either Rendelius or Myrthos. If you wanted to go another route, the NPC could be named Legion and then the book would have the donators names as the various names that Legion has been known as through the ages. The item could then be the Boots of the Legion, giving the wearer the speed of (# of donators) for use either in combat or as a way of fleeing combat with limited uses based on game balance.

BTW this is just my 2. I'm not going to be offended if everything is totally different than I suggested

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 19:43
Okay, another idea. It's rainy here at work and I can't go out and do my job….

Have the NPC named something like the Watch Commander. In his office would be a book of all the other officers who have held the title (the group of donators). The item could then be anything related to keeping watch. An eyeglass that allows you to see enemies on the map earlier, a ceremonial sword that gives bonuses to combat, make the Watch a wizard tower and the item becomes the Staff of the Watch, perhaps having a permanent light spell, etc.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 20:05
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
The item could then be anything related to keeping watch.
Watch tower, Watchman … weathered oil lamp that never runs out of oil?

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2013, 20:33
There could be two npcs the Watcher and the Codexian Witch - brother and sister that are arch-enemies because they don't know that they are relatives. They were seperated at birth by an assault on their home town. Two enemy parties raised them. They have to rediscover that they are kin to each other.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2013, 20:43
Great, crpgnut that really gave us quite a boost!
I like the watch commander idea. Here is my spin on it:
The NPC, known as Dhruinus Myrthosius, is the commander of the "Long Watch". A reclusive order of warrior-monks (or a legion of paladin knights), the Long Watch have guarded the perimeter of phantom forest for centuries, making sure that none of the dark things within escape. One by one have fallen, their number ever dwindling, and now only the commander remains. The book, found in the Watchtower, or the Long Watch quarters, is called the "Annals of the Long Watch" and tells of the deeds of members of the Long Watch, and records the time and place of death of its members (to be filled by each backer).
As the commander too is mortally wounded and near death, he asks the PC to take a vow to continue the tradition of the Watch "To look out for all that is good, and keep all that is bad in eternal darkness". If the player agrees, the commander asks some questions to test him, e.g. "Would you ever abandon a quest once begun?" or "Thy Lord mistakenly believes he slew a dragon. Thou hast proof that thy lance felled the beast. When asked, what dost thou do: Honestly claim the kill and the prize, or humbly permit thy Lord his belief?". Or "Do you believe in the Codex?". If the commander finds the answers satisfactory, he tells of the Pendant of the Watch, which he lost on his last, ill fated foray into Phantom Forest. The pendant can be found if the player manages to follow the descriptions given by the commander. It grants an eternal light source, and a small bonus on attack or resisantce from attack against the creatures of darkness within the forest. The commander then dies.
Maybe, if the player succeeds in defeating the Evil in the phantom forest lair, the spirit of the commander could reappear, and thank him, in the name of the entire Watch, pronouncing the player a true hero, brother, and worthy member of the Long Watch.
Last edited by GhanBuriGhan; April 16th, 2013 at 20:58.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 16th, 2013, 22:13
Keep those ideas coming

With respect to this:
… and then the book would have the donators names as the various names that Legion has been known as through the ages….
That I discussed with Larian and they don't want a book with just names. They want a book with a story where we can drop some names, but not just names as that doesn't really fit in the game.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2013, 23:45
We had some pretty good stories going in the old RP forums of RPGDot (Shadows etc), so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something.

I'll try to donate when I get home from my current trip.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

April 16th, 2013, 23:51
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Keep those ideas coming

With respect to this:

That I discussed with Larian and they don't want a book with just names. They want a book with a story where we can drop some names, but not just names as that doesn't really fit in the game.
That's fine. Some of our names, mine included, really don't fit into a game very well. While a Rendelius or Galaad would work, a JDR13 or crpgnut, just doesn't

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 17th, 2013, 02:02
That's fine. Some of our names, mine included, really don't fit into a game very well. While a Rendelius or Galaad would work, a JDR13 or crpgnut, just doesn't
…and Lemonhead, while great for the Secret of Monkey Island, is not so great for sword and sorcery. Myrthos, Gorath and Dhruin on the other hand sound like proper fantasy fare to me.

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

April 17th, 2013, 02:34
Hey, I could be a robot or some other construct.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 17th, 2013, 03:57
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Hey, I could be a robot or some other construct.
or a cypher: Join Down Right 13 feet.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin Statue for RPGWatch