|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Iphone RPGs with depth?

Default Iphone RPGs with depth?

May 3rd, 2013, 00:28
Speaking of ich, i really think that mount and blade should be ported to the pad.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#101

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 3rd, 2013, 17:50
Originally Posted by AppleIntimidation View Post
It seems like a book and not really even a game. Is it even a game?
Not far into it yet, but the interactive book aspect is very strong. It does have just the right amount of text for every little choice (although I'm sure that's highly subjective). Other systems I've encountered are rpgish but very light weight. We'll have to see.

Originally Posted by AppleIntimidation View Post
Speaking of ich, i really think that mount and blade should be ported to the pad.
It would be terrible. The whole control scheme would translate horribly. You're like a dog that you have to keep popping on the nose wise a rolled up newspaper over and over again.

If the best the platform can hope for is a port of other systems games, then its already dead as a serious gaming platform.
CrazyIrish is offline

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

#102

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 604

Default 

May 4th, 2013, 20:44
Originally Posted by CrazyIrish View Post
If the best the platform can hope for is a port of other systems games, then its already dead as a serious gaming platform.
Considering that iOS is essentially the #1 growing gaming ecosystem in the world right now, it would be hard to call it 'dead' in any way …

… I would use the term 'problematic'.

- Gamers are willing to pay … but >75% of revenues are now from in-app purchases.
- Turn-around on development is expected to be months rather than years, which limits what people are making.
- Making money on an iOS game is a tricky proposition - with thousands of new games every week getting attention is hard.

The problem remains the same as what indies have battled for several years - 'insulting cheapness' and 'the race to the bottom'. I remember Jeff Vogel did an editorial on this even before the iPhone … and he was right.

The prevailing attitude right now is 'your app better be pretty damn special to cost $10'!

And for many of us who have been around for a while, if we saw even a mediocre RPG on sale for $10 we would have immediately bought it!

But think about what a $5 price means for a game budget … assuming 4 people take one year, pay themselves $25k a year (below poverty), and an additional $50k for assets, resources, and marketing/etc … you have a $150k budget. That means ~43,000 copies JUST to break even (with 70% revenue from iTunes)! Not an easy task when the vast majority of titles don't even muster 1,000 sales!

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#103

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,545

Default 

May 4th, 2013, 21:06
I feel like Apple's monopoly on distribution hurts the IOS as a serious gaming platform a lot too. Everyone has to sell things in the same mass of cheaply produced titles. If you could have the equivelent of a Steam (with quality control and bigger titles) or GoG (with more specialized titles) then it would help a lot. But it would also mean less money for Apple, at least in the short term.

Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Considering that iOS is essentially the #1 growing gaming ecosystem in the world right now, it would be hard to call it 'dead' in any way …

… I would use the term 'problematic'.

- Gamers are willing to pay … but >75% of revenues are now from in-app purchases.
- Turn-around on development is expected to be months rather than years, which limits what people are making.
- Making money on an iOS game is a tricky proposition - with thousands of new games every week getting attention is hard.

The problem remains the same as what indies have battled for several years - 'insulting cheapness' and 'the race to the bottom'. I remember Jeff Vogel did an editorial on this even before the iPhone … and he was right.

The prevailing attitude right now is 'your app better be pretty damn special to cost $10'!

And for many of us who have been around for a while, if we saw even a mediocre RPG on sale for $10 we would have immediately bought it!

But think about what a $5 price means for a game budget … assuming 4 people take one year, pay themselves $25k a year (below poverty), and an additional $50k for assets, resources, and marketing/etc … you have a $150k budget. That means ~43,000 copies JUST to break even (with 70% revenue from iTunes)! Not an easy task when the vast majority of titles don't even muster 1,000 sales!
fadedc is offline

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

#104

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,014

Default 

May 4th, 2013, 22:39
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
I feel like Apple's monopoly on distribution hurts the IOS as a serious gaming platform a lot too.
Exactly, which is why Android, with ~75% of global market share, is so much better as a gaming platform …

… oh wait, I forgot that Android is completely inferior as a gaming platform in every way from quality to developer friendliness to actually making money.



But I get your point - if there was a 'GoG for iOS/Android' where developers of more serious games had a curated marketplace, that would be a real boon to gamers like us.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#105

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,545

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 00:11
What are your opinions of Levithian warship? It seems as real as any systems games go from what ive been seeing:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=186976
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#106

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 00:37
Well there's definitely a reason why I have a Iphone/Ipad and not something by android! But it's hard to say where things will go in the future. Back in the early eighties, I had an Apple 2e instead of an IBM because Apple ws the superior gaming platform at the time. But wow did that change over the years. Granted, I think Apple is a much smarter company now.

But ultimately my point was just what you said, I'm not predicting the rise of Android as a superior gaming platform or anything.


Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Exactly, which is why Android, with ~75% of global market share, is so much better as a gaming platform …

… oh wait, I forgot that Android is completely inferior as a gaming platform in every way from quality to developer friendliness to actually making money.



But I get your point - if there was a 'GoG for iOS/Android' where developers of more serious games had a curated marketplace, that would be a real boon to gamers like us.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch

#107

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,014

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 09:57
Originally Posted by AppleIntimidation View Post
What are your opinions of Levithian warship? It seems as real as any systems games go from what ive been seeing:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=186976
1st question: Is that an RPG?

2nd question: Nevermind…I doubt you read the first one…
CrazyIrish is offline

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

#108

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 604

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 11:47
Even with all the issues txa brought up, it still only takes a SINGLE fantastic complex/meaty CRPG that's fully unique to the iPad platform to turn things around.

Say, something like Project Eternity or Wasteland 2 - both of which are not entirely undoable on an iPad (with less flash, obviously).

So, we'll just have to wait until a developer bothers to make such a game for the platform, instead of the PC platform.

That, my friends, is the heart of the issue. The PC is simply an infinitely superior platform for a game like that.

Even if you could definitely do it on the iPad - it would still be nothing like it would have been if the same effort was poured into a PC version.

Which is why we're still waiting for one.

iPad/iPhone fans need to wake up and realise the natural inferiority of the platform, if you ask me.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#109

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:05
The platform is much better for pc style games and esp turn based strategy games or crpgs than any other non pc system esp any other portable or tablet or mobile device. It can be qrguably better than the pc like the new scon devs said as long as someone actually makes these kinds of games for it. Its much more comfortable to hold and the battery life is better than any other portable devixe really. Plus its easy to develop for and the graphics are great. Id much rather play even older games on the ipad comfortably laying down than be crammed in front of a desk. Its just easier to boot up, no installations, and more comfortable as well as portable. Plus I have an Imac which you cant really game on anyway.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#110

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:09
Its kind of like saying why use an iPad when you can watch movies on the mac or pc screen crammed in front of a desk or a big and low battery life laptop and web browse like that anyway? The answer is simple: comfort.and its not the platform stopping these games from being made, in fact there are already more or them on there than any japanese system. Its apple and the exosystem as well as developers themselves to blame. Not the platform, its capable of all that and more. And like I said, I doown a 3ds so dont call me biased. In fact I recently ordered mario 3d land for it. But i always end up playing games on the iPad instead because again: co fort and not having to switch cartriges and the games being more robus like avernun vs any jrpg.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#111

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:17
I'm afraid I don't agree.

It has a very limited capacity when it comes to CPU and especially GPU power - and consoles are far superior in that way.

If you feel more comfortable holding a tablet in your hand - than sitting at a desk in front of your screen - then I suppose comfort will have some small relevance.

As for how it compares to other tablets - that's 100% irrelevant. I'm talking about PC as a platform for RPGs - not other tablets. To me, all tablets share the same inherent weaknesses.

Normal people would find holding a tablet for an extended period of time uncomfortable - and we're dealing with a genre that's measured in dozens of hours.

The rest of your claims are subjective nonsense - like "graphics are great", which has absolutely no objective merit. Some games are probably pretty - and some games aren't. It's a matter of artistry - not hardware capacity.

So, essentially - your position is weak and you seem borderline irrational when it comes to your preferences.

I'm using the word borderline in an effort to appear cordial.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#112

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:21
It is more cofortable hence why its replacing netbooks and laptops for portable computing and becoming the de facto web browser at home as well. You can hold it on your lap or desk without needing an external mouse or lay down withh it and you are a moron if you think you have to hold it in the air or something you must have never used one before or played ball rolling games on it only or something if you think that. I am typing on one right now in bed and it is sitting between my lap and my bello very co fortably (iPad Mini mind you). And the specs and graphics increase every year and already have surpassed the 3ds. And again I have a very weak pc and use macs so my choice is ipad for pcrpg games or nothign since they dont even make them at all for the wii or 3ds or other systems i own.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#113

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:23
Originally Posted by AppleIntimidation View Post
It is more cofortable hence why its replacing netbooks and laptops for portable computing and becoming the de facto web browser at home as well. You can hold it on your lap or desk without needing an external mouse or lay down withh it and you are a moron if you think you have to hold it in the air or something you must have never used one before or played ball rolling games on it only or something if you think that. I am typing on one right now in bed and it is sitting between my lap and my bello very co fortably (iPad Mini mind you). And the specs and graphics increase every year and already have surpassed the 3ds.
I have an iPad myself - and resting it on my lap for gaming is not an option. Sure, I can use my cover to place it on my desk - but then it would just function as a hugely inferior PC with a hugely inferior touch-based interface.

If realising that makes me a moron - then I'm pretty sure you're a genius.

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning 3DS?

Do you understand what a PC is?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#114

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:34
Try to lay down on a couch and use it. Trust me its much more comfortable than sitting in front of a desk or even a table. In fact i was reflecting back, I do have some good mac rpgs that i never even touch like neverwinter nights 2 due to the hassle of set up and comfort. I have to strech my legs out after a while with another chair and it still doesnt feel as comfortable as gaming on the ipad on a couch laying down or a hammock. Id much rather play the original baldurs gate on it than neverwinter nights 2 on the iMac (havent beat both games) primarily due to this. Its also annoying having to remind myself of the keyboard shortcuts and other things associated with pc games. I always forget that and those tutorials because i take long breaks between game sessions sometimes.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#115

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:37
Games should be made simple and to the point. Instead of overly complicated like on the pc. The touch screen can tke those complex games and simplyfy them on a large enough screen and make them work fully compatible. Just add icons or something for the shortcuts and whalla.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#116

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:42
Originally Posted by AppleIntimidation View Post
Try to lay down on a couch and use it. Trust me its much more comfortable than sitting in front of a desk or even a table. In fact i was reflecting back, I do have some good mac rpgs that i never even touch like neverwinter nights 2 due to the hassle of set up and comfort. I have to strech my legs out after a while with another chair and it still doesnt feel as comfortable as gaming on the ipad on a couch laying down or a hammock. Id much rather play the original baldurs gate on it than neverwinter nights 2 on the iMac (havent beat both games) primarily due to this. Its also annoying having to remind myself of the keyboard shortcuts and other things associated with pc games. I always forget that and those tutorials because i take long breaks between game sessions sometimes.
I lie down on my couch as much as I can

It's very comfortable for 15-30 minutes when surfing or reading. But playing games for hours is NOT comfortable in that position.

I've played Baldur's Gate on both platforms - and I find the PC version so much better I lack the words. Especially during combat and when picking up items. The iPad interface is OK - and I think they did a decent enough job of it. But it's way too fiddly when fine-tuning movement and trying to pick up small objects or selecting the right characters.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#117

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 21:42
Originally Posted by AppleIntimidation View Post
Games should be made simple and to the point. Instead of overly complicated like on the pc. The touch screen can tke those complex games and simplyfy them on a large enough screen and make them work fully compatible. Just add icons or something for the shortcuts and whalla.
I completely disagree that games should be made simple - and I tend to find games on the PC over-simplified.

Complex games should be complex - and simple games should be simple.

Touch screen is fine for simplistic games - but it's horrible for complex and intricate games like a proper RPG.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#118

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

May 5th, 2013, 23:41
The iPad is just fine for complex rpg games or tun based strategy games. They are porting the full xcom to it after all.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#119

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332

Default 

May 6th, 2013, 09:20
Its a very good upcoming gaming platform, but its also a very young platform. Give it time to grow. Its not fair to compare it to the time and tested pc platform just yet.
AppleIntimidation is offline

AppleIntimidation

Sentinel

#120

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 332
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Iphone RPGs with depth?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:12.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch