|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Writing for RPGWatch

Default Writing for RPGWatch

May 1st, 2013, 08:35
Ugh i dont envy whoever has to complete the mars war logs game. The constant combat gets too tedious for me and they make you looks through an animation that is slightly skippable every time you use the serum gun on a dead player. I just had to stop playing it.

Damian

Sentinel

May 1st, 2013, 12:19
We have a review coming up.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 1st, 2013, 15:13
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Go into the menu DATABASE/games / select a game/ add a comment / easy!
Thanks!

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

May 4th, 2013, 04:07
Good place for this is here -> Game Comments

I hope I can write a few more - for old games.
Ya'know, that list should be used more often. There are lots of really good impressions/semi-reviews posted in the "Just finished…" topic in the Off Topic forum. Thing is, finding impressions on a particular game in that topic is tedious at best. If we were to post our impressions in that forum, it would be a lot easier to find everything.

I guess there's nothing stopping me doing that right now, is there? Let's see, what to drone on about….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 5th, 2013, 19:13
Didn't notice this thread before…

I'm flattered based on what some of you are saying about me

I've often considered writing a "real" review for submission - and I guess I need to do that the next time I finish something that the Watch would consider relevant.

Mostly because I really appreciate the site and the work done by many of you - and it doesn't feel quite right to not contribute after being a member for so long.

My primary issue with reviews is that I don't feel too comfortable rating games under those circumstances. I take objectivity very seriously - and a "real" review from me would probably be different from the personal comments I tend to spout about some games at a whim.

Would it be ok to do a review without an actual rating? Is that boring?

Also, as English is not my first language - I can't promise anything fancy. I like to believe I can articulate my opinion - but that's about it.

Maybe I could be of some assistance enhancing the MMO aspects of the site - if that's something the majority wants? I'm pretty experienced when it comes to that particular genre.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 5th, 2013, 20:59
Just make clear what your personal preference is (turn based combat, story heavy, free world…) , then everybody can judge your opinion to a new game.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 5th, 2013, 21:09
Just make clear what your personal preference is (turn based combat, story heavy, free world…) , then everybody can judge your opinion to a new game.
Yes - I tend to think ratings are overrated

No, seriously - I think they are.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 5th, 2013, 22:18
I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you here. Having ratings in a review has been a discussion that is going on for years already, both in the team and outside, so I don't mind running a review without ratings, or basically the entire table at the end of the review.

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 5th, 2013, 23:05
I'm thinking a whole new section called DArtagnan Face-off. Were Dart goes agaisnt his fellow watchers on various RPG topics.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 6th, 2013, 11:46
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you here. Having ratings in a review has been a discussion that is going on for years already, both in the team and outside, so I don't mind running a review without ratings, or basically the entire table at the end of the review.
Well, as long as we're not part of Metacritic or somesuch, it's no big deal.

But I think the actual rating is the most personal part of any review - and as such, it's really of no use in objective terms. They're also the source of so much needless controversy all around the net.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 6th, 2013, 11:47
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I'm thinking a whole new section called DArtagnan Face-off. Were Dart goes agaisnt his fellow watchers on various RPG topics.
If people aren't tired of me already - that would be a way to make absolutely sure

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 6th, 2013, 14:30
Wrote a little article on Gothic retrospective:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20288

I'll write one for G2 as well, and G3 if there's any interest. I didn't really write it "for" RPGWatch of course, but it is written for its audience. Is there any difference?

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 6th, 2013, 15:01
Thanks for sharing that.

I know it hasn't really been advertised, but the idea was to place reviews and such in the Games Comments forum, which I just renamed to 'Games Reviews and Comments'. I also added a sticky to explain how you can add your review.
In my opinion this would provide a better way of collecting the reviews from different persons.

If anyone has done a review and want me to move that to the 'Games reviews & Comments' section let me know.

And to stimulate those who did do a review, it would be nice if some stimulating feedback could be provided.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 14th, 2013, 13:22
I have a review copy of Expeditions: Conquistador. Is there anybody who wants to write a review?

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 14th, 2013, 13:46
I'd love to give it a try it's a game I find very intersting. Until when yould you need the review? I only have an hour or two gaming time per day usually, so I wouldn't be the fastest…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 14th, 2013, 14:45
I will receive a review 'soon' (whatever that means). You should finish the game to write the review. I don't know how many hours that is, but I would say that you would have to be able to deliver a review in about 3 weeks after receiving the game.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 14th, 2013, 15:16
I will receive a review 'soon' (whatever that means). You should finish the game to write the review. I don't know how many hours that is, but I would say that you would have to be able to deliver a review in about 3 weeks after receiving the game.
This was my downfall. I typically take a month or two to get through a game. I just don't have enough hours to do it any faster.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

May 14th, 2013, 15:33
The 3 weeks is not set in stone. It does depend on the size of the game. Being able to spend about 15 hours per week on the game would be a better reference.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 14th, 2013, 16:35
Well if the total play time is not more than 25 hours or so, I'd be up for it, I haven't found any info on the games length however. If it's longer, it would be better if someone with more free time has a go.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 14th, 2013, 21:56
There's an intermediate solution: You can write a first impressions article and then a shorter review a few weeks later. This only makes sense for long games though.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Writing for RPGWatch