|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » MaximumPC - Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is a Disappointment

Default MaximumPC - Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is a Disappointment

May 7th, 2013, 15:06
Comparing Mass Effect to Baldur's Gate is way beyond apples and oranges. It's more like comparing a TV to a bed. They both fit in a house and that's about it.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 8th, 2013, 10:58
The comparision was derpy, but the statement still holds water. This "enhanced edition" fixed almost no issues, that the original game had; added a bunch of unneeded stuff including DRM; AND it introduced a truckload of new bugs. Overhyped cashgrab 101. I hope Overhaul games sinks before they get to "enhance" PST (They're too far into BG2, so it will unfortunately get released).

tolknaz

Sentinel

May 8th, 2013, 11:01
They're not going to sink. I believe it was quite a hit - and considering the effort required, I think they're laughing all the way to the bank.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 8th, 2013, 15:10
Originally Posted by griniaris View Post
If you disagree on something, spitted on the face of the opinions bearer?
Shame on you.
Nope, he was spot on.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

May 8th, 2013, 15:28
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
like dropping the whole D&D system
AD&D is at best a mediocre RPG and a piss poor cRPG. Dropping it was a good idea.

Now if they had used something like the engine for ToEE that would be something else. Imagine the ToEE engine (better yet updated for Pathfinder) with the BG series setting and story. Squeee! But they did not have the license from Hasbro who seems to have decided to milk the last dregs of profit out of D&D and let it die.

Note that I have played D&D since 1976, just a couple years after it first came out.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

May 9th, 2013, 09:42
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
AD&D is at best a mediocre RPG and a piss poor cRPG. Dropping it was a good idea.
I've never seen a mage done better than using D&D, so I love it to hell.

Elel

Watchdog

May 9th, 2013, 10:14
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
I've spent many hours enjoying D&D both the RPG and CRPG's based on it. Our group is playing through the 2nd Ed Dragonlance campaign at the moment and loving it!

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

May 9th, 2013, 15:36
Mages are the WEAKEST part of D&D, especially the older editions. They start out pathetically weak and then zoom past all the other classes in power. You can still have a lot of fun with a flawed game, we certainly have, but just because it is fun doesn't mean it is not terribly flawed.

BTW, I play in a D&D 3.5e group right now that has been together since 2000. I previously played A&D before that back to college in 1978 and earlier editions before that.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

May 9th, 2013, 15:44
Do you remember playing with the paper chits before the first set of dice started coming out? I'll never forget popping all those chits out from the laminated paper that was inside the Chainmail stuff

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

May 9th, 2013, 15:56
The earliest set we had had actual dice. They were lop sided, unbalanced, and made of plastic so soft you could carve it with your fingernails, though. We were really happy when gaming stores started selling the better dice.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

May 10th, 2013, 16:01
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
I've never seen a mage done better than using D&D, so I love it to hell.
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I've spent many hours enjoying D&D both the RPG and CRPG's based on it. Our group is playing through the 2nd Ed Dragonlance campaign at the moment and loving it!

Daniel.
He didn't say it couldn't be enjoyed. He just said it was mediocre, which is completely true. A good group can have fun no matter how awful the system is, and a bad group will be tedious no matter how good the system.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » MaximumPC - Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is a Disappointment