|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age 3 - Take It and Leave It

Default Dragon Age 3 - Take It and Leave It

May 17th, 2013, 13:18
Video Game Writers has a new opinion piece on Dragon Age 3. The writer explains in his view what Bioware should keep, and take out of the next installment.
The Dragon Age series has had two wildly different entries to date. They both have their strengths and weaknesses (I’m looking at you, Dragon Age II), but they’re still both enjoyable RPGs. Whether or not you hate being Hawke or you’re still pining after Alistair, there’s something in these games for everyone. With the third entry, Dragon Age III: Inquisition, on the horizon, it’s time to take a take a look at some of the things that BioWare should carry over, as well as those that should probably be left in the past.
Dragon Age III hasn’t received a release date yet, but we’ll likely see it early into the lives of the new consoles coming out this holiday season. BioWare is the Pixar of RPGs, and they need to recover from their Cars 2. Fingers crossed that Dragon Age III delivers when it finally hits.
More information.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,209

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 13:18
That dude want minor quests that are optional and just there to give content to those who want it gone? I don't think he likes playing RPGs.

I'm also surprised by all the attention Dragon Age Inquisition is getting, even before it get revealed.
Last edited by azarhal; May 17th, 2013 at 17:55.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#2

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,574

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 13:55
The list goes on and on. The characters in both Dragon Age games are amazing, multi-layered, and meaningful. Listening to the members of your party banter with one another is not only humorous, but provides insight into how the characters think and act as clever, bite-sized, moments of character development. For the most part, players will genuinely care about the fates of the people who join them on their journey throughout the course of both titles.
Has he ever read something else? Save you think that sitcoms are the apex of character writings, quite hard to see Dragon Age characters as amazing, multi layered and meaningful.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,148

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 16:26
I felt the author did a pretty good job of summing up my feelings for the games, though he left off a few issues in the negative column, particularly from the second game.

Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Has he ever read something else? Save you think that sitcoms are the apex of character writings, quite hard to see Dragon Age characters as amazing, multi layered and meaningful.
As far as video games go, I think the characters in the Dragon Age games are quite well done. I enjoyed playing them a lot, especially the characters from the first game. That's one area that Bioware has consistently done well with IMHO, regardless of other flaws they might have.
dpc76 is offline

dpc76

Watchdog

#4

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 110

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 17:05
Perhaps I've just become overly jaded because of the DAII debacle, but I don't really understand all the love for DA: origins. The joinable NPCs were fleshed out but practically everything else about the game was incredibly cliche and uninspired. I played through once but, immediately upon exiting the origin story of my second playthrough, gave up on playing through again out of sheer boredom.

I don't mean to incite the ravenous Bioware horde (if there is any of it still around these days), but I just think a forthcoming game should aspire to be more than the sum of DA 1 & 2; even with such a joining, there is plenty of room for improvement.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Misbegotten Alien

#5

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 2,568

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 18:01
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Perhaps I've just become overly jaded because of the DAII debacle, but I don't really understand all the love for DA: origins. The joinable NPCs were fleshed out but practically everything else about the game was incredibly cliche and uninspired. I played through once but, immediately upon exiting the origin story of my second playthrough, gave up on playing through again out of sheer boredom.

I don't mean to incite the ravenous Bioware horde (if there is any of it still around these days), but I just think a forthcoming game should aspire to be more than the sum of DA 1 & 2; even with such a joining, there is plenty of room for improvement.
I kind of agree with you. I played through DA:O twice. The first time I loved it to pieces. The second time I started to see some things that were less appealing, like the fact that the combat was kinda clunky, the graphics were bland and that the Deep Roads part of the game was really boring.

That's one of the reasons I was a little skeptical when, after DA2, people kept saying that it should go back and be exactly like Origins. That game had a lot of things I liked, but there was definitely room for improvement. Hopefully the next game will take what was best about the first two games and add some new stuff.
dpc76 is offline

dpc76

Watchdog

#6

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 110

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 18:38
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Perhaps I've just become overly jaded because of the DAII debacle, but I don't really understand all the love for DA: origins.
I think that love for DA:O grew exponentially after DAII was released. So (IMO) it was a comparison between the game and its successor which made DA:O shine more brightly.
Last edited by zahratustra; May 17th, 2013 at 23:57.
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 23:00
Originally Posted by dpc76 View Post
and that the Deep Roads part of the game was really boring.
I'm terribly sorry to snip out one sentence from your post, but I keep hearing this argument a lot and I feel always somewhat puzzled because deep roads was one of my favourite parts of DAO. I loved everything that had something to do with Orzzamar and dwarves. Dwarven noble orgins story was the best orgins imo and I loved stone prisoner DLC as it exapanded deep roads and told me more about dwarves

I don't intend to start some angry debate about this subject since I've realized that majority of DAO players disliked deep roads.

I however liked deep roads because it was basicly one big dungeon crawl. I loved how things got darker, disturbing and more sinister as I desceded deeper and deeper into dark spawn territory.

Then there is this lost dwarven culture aspect which got my heart pumping. Kind of reminded me of Moria from Lotr. And I thought the idea of wardens going into deep roads to die in battle before the taint forces them to succumb, was quite cool.

Deep roads had some nice secrets too.
Last edited by Dez; May 18th, 2013 at 04:18.
Dez is offline

Dez

Dez's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,165

Default 

May 17th, 2013, 23:38
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I'm terribly sorry to snip out one sentence from your post, but I keep hearing this argument a lot and I feel always somewhat puzzled because deep roads was one of my favourite parts of DAO. I loved everything that had something to do with Orzzamar and dwarves. Dwarven noble orgins story was the best orgins imo and I loved stone prisoner DLC as it exapanded deep roads and told me more about dwarves

I don't intend to start some angry debate about this subject since I've realized that majority of DAO players disliked deep roads.

I however liked deep roads because it was basicly one big dungeon crawl. I loved how things got darker, disturbing and more sinister as I desceded deeper and deeper into dark spawn territory.

Then there is this lost dwarven culture aspect which got my heart bumbing. Kind of reminded me of Moria from Lotr. And I thought the idea of wardens going into deep roads to die in battle before the taint forces them to succumb, was quite cool.

Deep roads had some nice secrets too.

Same here!
Trelow is offline

Trelow

Watchdog

#9

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 176

Default 

May 18th, 2013, 00:48
I agree with him, but why now? Everyone said this like 2 years ago already.
ChaosTheory is online now

ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory's Avatar
Sentinel

#10

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: People's Republic of Wisconsin
Posts: 540

Default 

May 18th, 2013, 01:52
I'm sure the authors of DA III have taken the feedback from the prior games into account. It'll be interesting to see what changes they've implemented. We may even be pleasantly surprised.
rjshae is online now

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

#11

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,511

Default 

May 18th, 2013, 08:56
But we were supposed to be pleasantly surprised by DAII so "fool me once…"
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,417

Default 

May 18th, 2013, 12:20
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I however liked deep roads because it was basicly one big dungeon crawl. I loved how things got darker, disturbing and more sinister as I desceded deeper and deeper into dark spawn territory.
I enjoyed the Deep Roads for the most part, but I can understand why some people didn't like it. It did get somewhat repetitive with the same 2-3 enemy types being encountered again and again.

The area of DA:O that I truly hated though was The Fade. That was the worst section of the game BY FAR imo.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,030

Default 

May 18th, 2013, 12:54
I liked DA1 and never played DA2, because of some reviews here.

A DA1-like game with a more tactical combat system would be fun.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
HiddenX is online now

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 4,423

Default 

May 19th, 2013, 06:12
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
But we were supposed to be pleasantly surprised by DAII so "fool me once…"
Games often get hyped up before release, so nothing new there.
rjshae is online now

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

#15

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,511
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age 3 - Take It and Leave It
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:09.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch