|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - The Need for Strong Female Characters

Default Mass Effect - The Need for Strong Female Characters

May 22nd, 2013, 02:49
IGN has a new 19 minute video in their Up at Noon series about Mass Effect and the need for strong female Characters.

FemShep — Jennifer Hale — swings by Up at Noon to talk about the franchise, and we make some Pokemon/Star Trek jokes.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2013, 02:49
Ugh, I couldn't even make it past that guy's intro.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 22nd, 2013, 05:21
True enough. Skip to 8 min in to avoid most of the junk. Not particularly enlightening as an interview but I can definitely see how her Memento-style memory helps her. She is the best at what she does for sure and will always have a place in my heart as Fall-from-Grace.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

May 22nd, 2013, 07:57
First time I have ever seen Jennifer Hale, after being a huge fan of her performances in video games. Great interview. More of her please!

NFLed

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2013, 08:01
She really does have a great voice. Almost makes me regret I never had the urge to be female Shepherd. My favorite female voice actor from games has always been Grey DeLisle of Viconia, Jeanette/Therese, Handmaiden(and etc) fame. She has a real talent for making evil seem sexy.

Just checked youtube for Grey DeLisle and this was top result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4tValP2Tg

Sounds totally different using her normal voice. And she met her husband on twitter… how cool is that?

And to get back on topic, Jennifer Hale was Dynaheir to Grey DeLisle's Viconia in Baldur's Gate! I bet she doesn't remember that

CraigCWB

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2013, 14:46
That guy is immensely annoying…

*Edit*

Originally Posted by CraigCWB View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4tValP2Tg
Ugh… Tara strong is just as annoying. Her voice makes me want to puncture my eardrums.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 22nd, 2013, 15:40
I prefer the way that the Gothic games by Piranha Bytes handled female characters. It had a focus on realism, which ultimately improved immersion.

If a game portrays women as for example hardcore space marines I'm unlikely to purchase it, because it's an indicator that the game is likely to include other politically correct annoyances as well.

enm

Banned

May 22nd, 2013, 15:58
Check this out, Jennifer Hale rocks. You can't believe how many characters she have played and she sling her accents and pitch all over the place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuaD6cC5RpA

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 22nd, 2013, 16:05
I also see a need for "weak" male characters that isn't just for comical relief. With weak I mean men who are vulnerable, have a full spectrum of emotions and deal with real problems.

One example is Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain.

Another is James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2.

I have had enough of this:
http://borderhouseblog.com/wp-conten…7687236272.jpg

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

May 23rd, 2013, 09:53
I see a need for strong coherent story with logical outcomes.
NOT corridor based levels with small 'talky' interruptions, wasting the opportunity of developing interesting characters…. like in OMEGA which was developed by Bioware Montreal.

Misha

Watcher

May 24th, 2013, 09:33
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
I see a need for strong coherent story with logical outcomes. NOT corridor based levels with small 'talky' interruptions, wasting the opportunity of developing interesting characters…. like in OMEGA which was developed by Bioware Montreal.
That's pretty weird, Misha.

CraigCWB

Sentinel

May 24th, 2013, 09:36
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I also see a need for "weak" male characters that isn't just for comical relief. With weak I mean men who are vulnerable, have a full spectrum of emotions and deal with real problems.
Do you mean you "see a need" for completion's sake, or do you think it would genuinely enhance the gameplay experience?

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - The Need for Strong Female Characters