|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » Did World War 2 screw society up?

Default Did World War 2 screw society up?

June 1st, 2013, 09:23
In World War 2 women had to work because the men had to go to war. After the war, women continued to work and men started working again. The outcome?:

1. Higher housing prices because households had more money.
2. No more stay at home moms.
3. Children with special needs dont have mothers looking after them.
4. Mass murderers are on the rise.

We are powerless to stop this.

Damian

Sentinel

June 1st, 2013, 09:25
Solid theory

Anyway, human nature is our problem - and our world society should have been built with that in mind, but it wasn't.

Capitalism combined with human nature is like adding fuel to the fire. Let's not be surprised by the world burning.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 1st, 2013, 09:28
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Solid theory

Anyway, human nature is our problem - and our world society should have been built with that in mind, but it wasn't.

Capitalism combined with human nature is like adding fuel to the fire. Let's not be surprised by the world burning.
In other words GREED is the problem from all sides?

Damian

Sentinel

June 1st, 2013, 09:30
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
In other words GREED is the problem from all sides?
No, I would say ignorance of ignorance is the primary issue with human nature.

Greed doesn't have to be all that bad, it depends on how you respond to that drive.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 1st, 2013, 10:03
Highly depends on the country.
Germany was still soo much backwards oriented in the 50s … only the late 69s could breach this quite a bit. The 70s were the years of the scandals : Where what older people did during the Nazi time finally came to light … And even nowadays similar discoveries are made …
In Germany, post WWII, there were primarily the "Trümmerfrauen". Men were dead or captured, women were the only ones left, and one had to tidy the ruins of the towns … Of course they were never really paid for their work as they should have been … A German movie about this is "Ramadama", which is Bavarian dialect meaning "tidying we do", literally translated.

Short English-language article here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%C3%BCmmerfrau
The German-language article is of course much, much longer …

By the way, the English band called OMD did a single called "Dresden".
Which is related, because Allied Bombers turned Dresden, a town stacking full with Refugees, into a town consisting mostly of ruins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing…n_World_War_II
Bomber Harris is a name many people from Germany still know : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_Harris

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 1st, 2013, 11:36
Society has been screwed up, in one way or another, since the dawn of history. Only the names, or titles have been altered!! Consider, Adam and Eve with only the 2 of them totally messed up and it's been downhill all the way since then!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

June 1st, 2013, 11:45
Adam and Eve?

Why are we bringing Bioshock into this?

Hehe, I just realised that Adam and Eve in Bioshock is the perfect metaphor for what happened!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 1st, 2013, 12:07
With the original sin things became interesting… IMHO.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

June 1st, 2013, 12:30
In World War 2 women had to work because the men had to go to war…
Sorry but women went to the factories as early as WW1 instead ! As a side note I'd add that you seem to blame all the modern society problems on the women work or maybe I'm mistaken ?

Gloo

Sentinel

June 1st, 2013, 13:07
Originally Posted by Gloo View Post
Sorry but women went to the factories as early as WW1 instead ! As a side note I'd add that you seem to blame all the modern society problems on the women work or maybe I'm mistaken ?
No i blame the fact that there is an increase of mass murderers on women not being able to stay at home and look after problem children.

Damian

Sentinel

June 1st, 2013, 17:19
Have all mass murderers been problem children?

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

Cool 

June 1st, 2013, 17:52
No i blame the fact that there is an increase of mass murderers on women not being able to stay at home and look after problem children.
Well, that's what I meant, you blame it on women not staying home to raise the children… Everything was so right in the past centuries when women didn't even dream about vote, feminism and such stupid things, docile and only bound to their rightful master. There's only one thing missing from your initial thread that would make it complete and that's a (random) reference to the Holy Bible…

Never mind. Sorry to seem ironic but I'm just fed up with such narrow-minded speeches.

Gloo

Sentinel

June 1st, 2013, 17:54
Not all Myrthos but many. But what Damian writes in his last post is simply wrong. Many more problem children come from singe parent (usually the mother) families than from families with working mother.

zahratustra

SasqWatch

June 1st, 2013, 18:34
Blaming the parents is like saying the children have no life of their own - and that they're not influenced in other ways.

So, not too insightful.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 1st, 2013, 18:55
I think the Great Depression screwed society up more. And for completely different reasons, but I don't really have the energy to explain why at the moment, sorry

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch

June 1st, 2013, 19:48
In World War 2 women had to work because the men had to go to war…
The only point I'm buying is point 3. Even that one could apply to men as much as women, though.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

June 2nd, 2013, 00:32
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
The only point I'm buying is point 3. Even that one could apply to men as much as women, though.
What about point 1? I could link you point 4.

Damian

Sentinel

June 2nd, 2013, 00:57
Originally Posted by Gloo View Post
Well, that's what I meant, you blame it on women not staying home to raise the children… Everything was so right in the past centuries when women didn't even dream about vote, feminism and such stupid things, docile and only bound to their rightful master. There's only one thing missing from your initial thread that would make it complete and that's a (random) reference to the Holy Bible…

Never mind. Sorry to seem ironic but I'm just fed up with such narrow-minded speeches.
That only happens more in western culture i think. Look in eastern cultures, women have always had the upper hand in marriages despite not working.

Damian

Sentinel

June 2nd, 2013, 03:31
This isn't the 1940's anymore. There's absolutely no reason for women to not work.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 2nd, 2013, 04:18
It's true that in general, households with only one parent (mother or father) are more likely to have problem kids. It's simple, a kid needs guidance, if both parents are out of sight for a long part of the day (and after a hard day work, it's easy to just 'let things go'). Now, if the mother earns more than the father, I don't see a problem with the father staying at home.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » Did World War 2 screw society up?