|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blackguards - Video Interview @ Gamespot

Default Blackguards - Video Interview @ Gamespot

June 15th, 2013, 08:54
GameSpot has a video interview with two developers from Daedalic Entertainment at E3 about their upcoming turn-based tactical RPG Blackguards.

Time to be the bad guy! Daedelic pop by the stage to show us an early build of their upcoming turn-based RPG, Blackguards. Except dice rolls, hex grids, and breaking tables with your bare hands.
More information.
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 15th, 2013 at 12:54.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

June 15th, 2013, 08:54
I wonder what the release date will be. Seems like a game with great potential.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

June 15th, 2013, 09:50
They are saying November for release date. Reckon it does look interesting, but the combat looks a bit fiddly, especially with that opaque skill wheel that obscures the action. And the graphics are very dark. Not the most enticing demo, but it is an early build.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

June 15th, 2013, 11:44
I hope character development isn't similar to Drakensang, in that it takes forever to build an interesting character. But I fear that may be an inherent weakness of the system (much as with DnD 3.X).

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

June 15th, 2013, 12:18
Gamestop?

Yet another game to put on my radar.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 15th, 2013, 12:54
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
They are saying November for release date. Reckon it does look interesting, but the combat looks a bit fiddly, especially with that opaque skill wheel that obscures the action. And the graphics are very dark. Not the most enticing demo, but it is an early build.
End of the year seems a busy year for TB games.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

June 15th, 2013, 13:21
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
I hope character development isn't similar to Drakensang, in that it takes forever to build an interesting character. But I fear that may be an inherent weakness of the system (much as with DnD 3.X).
Many people actually LIKE to build a character … It's like some kind of hobby. Micromanagement was once a great thing, especially in the NLT. Nowadays, nobody does Micromanagement anymore.

I suspect, however, that these characters might come pre-defined, mostly due to their backstory. But I don't remember anymore.

The wheel reminded me of PS:T when I saw it.

ď Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius Ė and a lot of courage Ė to move in the opposite direction.ď (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 15th, 2013, 13:22
Originally Posted by ikbenrichard View Post
End of the year seems a busy year for TB games.
Looking forward to it, but likely enough we'll see most of them drifting a bit on their projected release dates.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

June 15th, 2013, 13:37
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Many people actually LIKE to build a character Ö It's like some kind of hobby. Micromanagement was once a great thing, especially in the NLT. Nowadays, nobody does Micromanagement anymore.
So do I. That's why I don't like it if it takes until the game is almost over for your characters to do more than a standard attack, or be able to put on the kind of armor you want them to use. That's where the comparison with games based on DnD 3.X came from; until you got a versatile character you were at least in mid-game.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

June 15th, 2013, 15:04
So do I. That's why I don't like it if it takes until the game is almost over for your characters to do more than a standard attack, or be able to put on the kind of armor you want them to use. That's where the comparison with games based on DnD 3.X came from; until you got a versatile character you were at least in mid-game.
I think you are talking about character development, and not character creation. In my opinion, one of the extreme weaknesses of Drakensang was the restrictions on what otherwise could have been and should have been an extremely robust character creation.

I love an extremely complex, detailed, and options-heavy character creation, as well as character development. Sometimes, a detailed character creation and development system entails long term planning, meaning your character will not be somewhat realized until mid-game. This isnít a bad thing as it provides something interesting for people with some cognitive ability. If people like a game with no character creation and superficial character development, where it starts you almost at full power minus equipment from the onset, pretty much every crpg is for them; leave the extremely few that are for people who like a little complexity and thought alone.

Itís like the droves of mindless automatons who have to whine when a game they otherwise might like states it has TB combat. Why? How many of my kind of people do you see whining when Diablo 3 or TES whatever states it will have twitch combat? None, because we donít poop on peoples parades like children.

This isn't directed at you, but those people as described above.

Impregnator

Watcher

Default Rule set

June 15th, 2013, 16:00
I found TDE to have a far more balanced progression of power level between classes compared to D&D3.x. D&D3.x suffers from exponential wizard power progression until the Warrior classes become almost obsolete.
As a result I'm far more looking forward to this game than Chaos Chronicles

hairyscotsman2

Traveler

June 15th, 2013, 16:50
Originally Posted by Impregnator View Post
I think you are talking about character development, and not character creation.
It is both, obviously.

In my opinion, one of the extreme weaknesses of Drakensang was the restrictions on what otherwise could have been and should have been an extremely robust character creation.

I love an extremely complex, detailed, and options-heavy character creation, as well as character development. Sometimes, a detailed character creation and development system entails long term planning, meaning your character will not be somewhat realized until mid-game.
You misunderstand me. The point is that every character should be fun to play virtually right from the start. I shouldn't have to play for 20-30 hours before my character attains his first few active abilities that make me do more in combat than click on the enemy. This does not mean that the character concept that you had in mind for this particular character has to be realized at that stage; say, if you want to create a tank so powerful that he requires virtually no healing unless hit with magic, this goal doesn't have to be reached in the first half of the game. It's fine if it takes long to attain that status.

In Drakensang, when I wanted to create a tank, this wasn't really possible until pretty late. Heavy armor would make a young character ineffective at practically any task, including fighting, dodging and parrying, which goes directly against the concept of a tank. If I wanted to create an offensive archer or spearman, I had to wait until forever before these talents could be learned at a teacher; and those points that you needed to unlock these talents were better spent on skills - as there were few opportunities to employ those skills, so you absolutely wanted to have as high a value in those as possible or the effort would be completely wasted.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

June 17th, 2013, 06:33
It does look promising, but yeah that combat interface is clunky.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blackguards - Video Interview @ Gamespot