|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate EE - Barred from Sale, BG II: EE Delayed

Default Baldur's Gate EE - Barred from Sale, BG II: EE Delayed

June 20th, 2013, 11:13
Balls, I was waiting for the new patch before I started my playthrough

coaster

Utarg of Utarg

June 20th, 2013, 11:16
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
Seems like the devs actually might have made some decent money on this project and somebody has decided to go fishing for some of their $$$.
This is the first thing I thought of. Most likely scenario. Other party involved didn't care until they saw some dollar figures, and THEN they cared!

We satisfy our endless needs, and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny, and in the name of God.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

June 20th, 2013, 11:20
Wow, it is possible to earn MONEY on an old IP… well WOW this comes as a big suprise… we better sue those guys earning money on our IP.

Are we going to use it to earn money ourselves?… well it is such a old IP surely there are not a lot of fans and we'll not earn any money from that…

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

June 20th, 2013, 12:42
I find it coincidental that the day this happened, Good Old Games had a mass package sale on BG1/2, Neverwinter Nights 1/2 and the D&D games. I have a feeling the new owners of the IP are trying to shop around the game themselves.

Gunderson105

Traveler

June 20th, 2013, 12:54
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
God I hate this legalese bullcrap. What makes it worse is that I am very aware that my hate of it changes abosolutely nothing. Grrr.
Exactly … really ticks me off, tired of the constant D&D license BS - it messed with NWN Premium Mods, the NWN2 adventure packs, and on and on …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 20th, 2013, 13:15
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
This is the first thing I thought of. Most likely scenario. Other party involved didn't care until they saw some dollar figures, and THEN they cared!
Not sure if serious. That's pretty much what Beamdog did. Gog shows you can make mooney selling old games, so they suddenly want to re-port a perfectly playable and/or modded to modern standards game for a quick buck.

Al3xand3r

Watcher

June 20th, 2013, 15:31
Atari (at least Atari's logo is there) I think it is still sells BG here in Germany in a package ( an "Anthology"):
http://www.amazon.de/NAMCO-BANDAI-Pa…aldur%27s+gate
Note the publisher there : Namco Bandai.

Another "Anthology" is being sold by Koch Media here : http://www.amazon.de/Dungeons-Dragon…aldur%27s+gate

I suspect that these two might have had a word with them - simply because the BG EE can be sold & bought [/i] anywhere[/i].

So, I suspect that it rather has something to do with specific country rights ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 20th, 2013, 15:54
This is why i don't want to buy a game with beamdog drm; if they do start selling it again I hope they will make it available via some other site (steam? gog? desura?); i know there is a steam version but they claim it was not their doing and it sounded liek they don't intend to keep the patches on steam flowing as quickly as their own.
-
With regards to legal issue - hopefully something will leak and the speculation will stop.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

June 20th, 2013, 16:46
Originally Posted by duerer View Post
On a seemingly unrelated note, being a mildly paranoid person I am, I'll download the BG remake for NWN2 right now.
I sense that the "complex legal issues" could escalate to other BG/D&D remakes or fan-projects.
There is supposed to be a remake in the works of BG2 using the DA:O engine, but it's been a while since I've heard anything new. The fact that the NWN2 remake took six years to finish with a team of essentially two people might be a factor.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

June 20th, 2013, 17:30
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Atari (at least Atari's logo is there) I think it is still sells BG here in Germany in a package ( an "Anthology"):
http://www.amazon.de/NAMCO-BANDAI-Pa…aldur%27s+gate
Note the publisher there : Namco Bandai.
This partnership is what prompted Hasbro to sue Atari and retrieve the DnD license from them in 2011. Hasbro won, I don't know why they would still be games listed as published by Namco Bandai…

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

June 20th, 2013, 18:07
I assume that Namco Bandai might have "taken over" from there on. However.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 20th, 2013, 19:35
I thought Interplay published BG? Herve shenanigans again?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 20th, 2013, 19:42
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I assume that Namco Bandai might have "taken over" from there on. However.
Hasbro letting their #1 competitor publish something they own.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

June 20th, 2013, 22:52
And nothing of value was lost…

tolknaz

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate EE - Barred from Sale, BG II: EE Delayed