|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Kickstarters » Frozen State

Default Frozen State

June 14th, 2013, 23:48
This CRPG is described as "a survival based horror RPG, set in a Siberian, post apocalyptic wasteland". Based on the Kickstarter description and illustrations it looks intriguing in a bleak Russian sort of way. They are currently at 7,703 out of a 60,000 goal with 37 days to go.

Frozen State

What say you?

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

June 15th, 2013, 00:16
Looks OK with Stalker atmosphere and driving vehicles. They should have included the actual gameplay with their kickstarter presentation instead of the blury videos.

Problem is: there are already Stalker games in 1st person with tons of atmosphere and excellent mechanics, and there is Wasteland 2 coming for those who like isometric games. I can't see what sets this game apart from the above.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

June 22nd, 2013, 00:34
Here is a new gameplay video.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

June 23rd, 2013, 17:49
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Looks OK with Stalker atmosphere and driving vehicles. They should have included the actual gameplay with their kickstarter presentation instead of the blury videos.

Problem is: there are already Stalker games in 1st person with tons of atmosphere and excellent mechanics, and there is Wasteland 2 coming for those who like isometric games. I can't see what sets this game apart from the above.
Never played Stalker, but my understanding is it's a straight up shooter. Frozen State is a RPG. Players can freely switch between real-time and tactical mode at any time. "The tactical mode allows pausing to aim precisely at any part of the body, sometimes dealing more damage and producing less noise". Wasteland 2 is a purely turn-based RPG. So while it may not be something that interests you, it is something different.

I generally dislike first person games; they're usually clunky and give me a headache, so I like that this is first person. In the pre-alpha video, AI hasn't been given to the enemies yet, they're just programmed to run straight towards the player character. I think third person can be very immersive as long as the game play is good.

daveyd

Sentinel

June 23rd, 2013, 18:47
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Never played Stalker, but my understanding is it's a straight up shooter.
No it is not a straight shooter, otherwise it would have been forgotten along with other shooters in history. I would strongly recommend that you play the first Stalker game (it scales wonderfully with different hardware) to see why it is loved by many rpg fans, and you can get it at a lower cost than the minimum pledging amount for Frozen State.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 14th, 2013, 00:00
They've posted a couple of new WiP videos plus a few sound tracks. The night-time shots are kinda creepy.

It sounds like they've just about thrown in the towel on the Kickstarter though.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

July 14th, 2013, 01:01
This makes me sad the game had potential but couldn't garner enough attention. I don't think people want isometric camera games anymore.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

July 14th, 2013, 04:05
I was also really hoping this would get funded. Iso cam does seem less and less popular these days though I think this game also had a few other things against it. Lots of survival stuff coming out/been funded & unknown devs coupled with a lot of people waiting for kickstarter releases like Shadowrun & Wasteland 2 before investing more. Also, it seems to me (not based on facts just observation that could be totally wrong) a lot of games raising money in non US currency seem to struggle, Satellite Reign not funding yet springs to mind instantly. I'm hoping they don't abandon the idea for good.

greywolf00

Sentinel

July 14th, 2013, 17:46
To me the isometric viewpoint is particularly suited for certain types of games. I suspect there's probably not as much interest in the isometric viewpoint for a (thus far) single character horror game. It lacks most of the immersion of a FPS and there are no teamwork tactics to coordinate.

Something I wondered about is the association in people's minds with Russia and cyber-crime. That may be forming a subtle negative association that is working against these guys. It would be unfortunate if that were the case.

Anyway, hopefully they are able to continue working on this game.
Last edited by rjshae; July 14th, 2013 at 18:47.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

July 14th, 2013, 23:32
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
This makes me sad the game had potential but couldn't garner enough attention. I don't think people want isometric camera games anymore.
I would love to see more isometric camera games but sorry not isometric real time shooters.

sakichop

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Kickstarters » Frozen State