|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Freezes because of 320.49 WHQL driver?

Default Freezes because of 320.49 WHQL driver?

July 3rd, 2013, 00:48
I've installed it yesterday when it got released and today my PC froze - twice. Just like that and not during the game - both times it happened while I was spamming on RPGwatch. Some deity protects the site!

I'm not sure the cause is really that new driver, but I rolled it back to 320.18 just to be sure.
I'll post if there are freezes or not tomorrow with the old driver.
The card inside is GTX 560.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 3rd, 2013, 00:52
I've been using 126.01 without issue. I'm on win 8 though.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 3rd, 2013, 00:59
I think it's unlikely that a graphics driver would cause your system to freeze while surfing the web, but you never know…

Fwiw, I'm also using 320.18

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 3rd, 2013, 01:00
JDR, there are reports on nvidia forum about PC lockups with this new driver so… It's possible it doesn't cause it, but then again the last thing I did on the machine was nvidia driver update.

sakichop, OS here is win7, x64.
Not moving to win8 sorry - I use a classic monitor, not a touchscreen.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 3rd, 2013, 01:36
I actually find I prefer windows 8 after getting used to it.

I do have it enhanced with several stardock programs though.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 3rd, 2013, 01:40
Dunno, if this new update, called blue makes it "friendlier" to nontouchscreen users, I might buy it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 3rd, 2013, 03:37
Nvidia cant seem to make their latest drivers work with certain cards it seems.
I had the same problem with 320.18 as that's when the freezes started.

Now are you using Firefox as your web browser, or is this happening when you play games. If it's happening when you surf the web turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox's options.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 3rd, 2013 at 06:40.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 3rd, 2013, 04:17
I make it a point to only update once every 6 months or so, unless the update notes specifically address an issue I'm having. There really isn't a reason to download new video drivers for an older card - the package is implementing support for novelties your card doesn't support.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

July 3rd, 2013, 06:22
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
There really isn't a reason to download new video drivers for an older card - the package is implementing support for novelties your card doesn't support.
Depends what you mean by "older card". You can still get performance boosts through optimizations in newer drivers, and it usually covers several generations of cards. The latest drivers provide framerate increases in multiple games for the 6xx, 5xx, and 4xx series of Geforce cards.

The % is usually pretty small, but it's still better than nothing.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 3rd, 2013, 07:44
Yes, I got lots of freezing on the last Nvidia Driver, rolled it back to 314.07 and the freezing went away. Luckily the diagnosis for me was easy since I didn't install anything else apart from Nvidia before noticing. This was on a 580MGTX system with win7.

Gaxkang

Sentinel

July 3rd, 2013, 11:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
If it's happening when you surf the web turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox's options.
Yes I'm using Firefox. It crashes from time to time (especially when overloaded with Flash) but it's not a big deal since I can kill it through task manager. Yesterday however it locked not just itself but the whole machine and only reset button helped. Both PC freezes happened as I said, it wasn't a joke, while I was typing a post on RPGwatch - in Firefox. So far with older driver I had no more freezes.

Can this be turned into something good?
How to kill your annoying friend's machine? Persuade him to use Firefox and install latest nVidia driver.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 3rd, 2013, 11:33
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Yes I'm using Firefox. It crashes from time to time (especially when overloaded with Flash) but it's not a big deal since I can kill it through task manager. Yesterday however it locked not just itself but the whole machine and only reset button helped. Both PC freezes happened as I said, it wasn't a joke, while I was typing a post on RPGwatch - in Firefox. So far with older driver I had no more freezes.

Can this be turned into something good?
How to kill your annoying friend's machine? Persuade him to use Firefox and install latest nVidia driver.
My computer kept freezing then messing up the mouse cursor. Then lol and behold some artifacts of green also. If we were both smart we would of kept using the older drivers that cause no problems.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 3rd, 2013, 16:29
In an German IT magazine (the "c't") I read that there are quite a lot of users having serious troubles with the latest NVidia driver - a few are said to even claim that it "destroyed" their card.
And yes, Firefox is involved, too.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 3rd, 2013, 18:35
It froze again. And again it happened while in Firefox, I was doing so many other stuff and no freezes until I went to post something here. But it's odd as it didn't happen before while I was using this very driver version.

Disabled what couch said, hopefully that'll help. If doesn't, I'll move to another browser.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 4th, 2013, 12:15
Don't these new browsers use that newish Directx web site rendering technique ?
I don't remember its name, though.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 4th, 2013, 13:32
Dunno but I'm definelty not alone with the problem:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alie…l-drivers.html

After disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox, I had no more freezes for a day, hopefully that's the permanent solution.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 4th, 2013, 13:56
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Dunno but I'm definelty not alone with the problem:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alie…l-drivers.html

After disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox, I had no more freezes for a day, hopefully that's the permanent solution.
That happened to me too after installing an Nvidia update (don't remember which one, it was like a month ago). Exactly same problem, computer would sort of freeze for a few seconds and then totally freeze while browsing in Firefox. Not sure if it's Firefox's fault or Nvidia's fault, but I disabled HW acceleration in Firefox and hasn't happened again (it happened almost daily so I'm pretty sure that fixed it, hasn't happened since and that was like 2-3 weeks ago)

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

July 4th, 2013, 14:07
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Don't these new browsers use that newish Directx web site rendering technique ?
I don't remember its name, though.
I doubt they used DX for that sort of stuff. I'd assume OpenCL or something along those lines (CUDA?) but since it's capable of causing lockups I guess it has to be lower level less abstracted work.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Freezes because of 320.49 WHQL driver?