|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Realms of Arkania - HD Remake Announced!

Default Realms of Arkania - HD Remake Announced!

April 13th, 2013, 16:58
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Of course you can have seen it all back then - in one playthrough. But in this case you must have used a guide/walkthrough which also points you to every dungeon which is not relevant to finish the game.
Nah, all you had to do is follow every possible path from every waypoint. Which I assume a lot of people have done because travelling simply was fun.

And while people exist who have seen it all, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of players have only seen like 70% or less of the original game. If they finished it at all. Of course, that isn't of any help for you unfortunately.
I guess there are some people who like 'hardcore' RPGs but haven't played RoA and would be put off by the graphics or interface. But that's a really small niche I think.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

April 13th, 2013, 23:56
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
Nah, all you had to do is follow every possible path from every waypoint. Which I assume a lot of people have done because travelling simply was fun.
Please remember that discovering some (hidden) paths/caves/dungeons required a party member with high perception to be the party leader. Many people might have missed this detail or had a party member that did not meet the reqs. Many people might have also not made it through the mountains in Star Trail due to a lack of appropriate equipment and/or party member's illnesses.
And finally there is a fair share of totally random encounters that some people might have simply missed out on due to the luck of the draw (or lack thereof).
There are many possible reasons why players might have missed out on some parts of the games.

I originally played the RoA games without a guide in the 1990s. I managed to finish BoD on the second try (first time I encountered the time limit) and had no chance to finish the game. Star Trail, I got stuck on the whole Salamander plot and Lowangen part (which was quite complex and required doing things in a certain order to succeed) and so I did originally not manage to finish the game on the first try. SoR, I was able to finish with a little guidance from a gaming mag IIRC.

Later on I replayed all three games with one party that I took through the entire trilogy and I consulted the official (I think) guide books for all three parts and -following the guide books- it was quite amazing how much else there was to the games since quite a lot of stuff depends on meeting requirements and successful skill checks (= dice rolls).

These games are definitely not a play once, seen it all affair, not even for completionists since some content is dependent on being at the right place at the right time with the right party (or stat/skill set) and then some luck when the dice are rolling.

Moriendor

Spielkind

April 14th, 2013, 01:33
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Unlike BG which is almost linear and has next to no replay value, the first Realms of Arkania is almost a sandbox game with no linear path. If you play it again today, you will probably find tons of stuff you did not experience before.
I haven't played RoA, but Baldur's Gate is far from being linear, and to claim it has next to no replay value is just dumb.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 14th, 2013, 17:04
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
Please remember that discovering some (hidden) paths/caves/dungeons required a party member with high perception to be the party leader. Many people might have missed this detail or had a party member that did not meet the reqs. Many people might have also not made it through the mountains in Star Trail due to a lack of appropriate equipment and/or party member's illnesses.
And finally there is a fair share of totally random encounters that some people might have simply missed out on due to the luck of the draw (or lack thereof).
There are many possible reasons why players might have missed out on some parts of the games.

These games are definitely not a play once, seen it all affair, not even for completionists since some content is dependent on being at the right place at the right time with the right party (or stat/skill set) and then some luck when the dice are rolling.
Welp, I remember the manual was quite clear about party leaders for cities, wilderness, and dungeons. Personally, I would even say those skills weren't checked ENOUGH, and some were outright useless. In any case pumping nature and 'personal' skills on your outdoor leader(s) was kind of self-evident.

The only encounter that depended on luck that I remember was the ghost ship in Blade of Destiny. Well, I think I also remember encountering some knights in Star Tail which might have been random… or was that Darklands? I might confuse the two.

The only real choice I remember was fighting the battle mages south of Lowangen or giving them the salamander stone in Star Trail. Although, if you defeated them you didn't even get a text blurb and you end up with two salamander stones, so you probably weren't even expected to make this choice.

Not that I'm knocking these nice old games, but I definitely hope for some new twists in this remake.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."
Last edited by Sacred_Path; April 14th, 2013 at 18:10.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

April 14th, 2013, 17:24
RoA's combat could definitely use some small changes. Only being able to fire projectiles at 90 degree angles (which is probably related to how the original game figured line of sight)? No consequences for moving in and out of melee? Just a couple of slight tweaks is really all that it needs.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

July 5th, 2013, 14:34
It seems like its coming to Steam!

http://steamdb.info/sub/29104/

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 5th, 2013, 15:36
$16?

I realize this isn't a AAA project, but that still seems suspiciously cheap.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 5th, 2013, 15:36
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
It seems like its coming to Steam!

http://steamdb.info/sub/29104/

Yeah! Even has a launch date: 30 July and price: 11.99. Fingers firmly crossed that it doesn't turn out to be a buggy unfinished shambles.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 5th, 2013, 16:49
Its already on Steam for pre-ordering with 20% off!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237550/

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 5th, 2013, 16:57
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
Its already on Steam for pre-ordering with 20% off!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237550/
LOL - thought that's what you meant the first time. There are quite a lot of screenies I hadn't seen before there, as well.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 5th, 2013, 17:39
3.5 weeks in front…
Enough time to see if it'll be available as a preorder on GOG.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 5th, 2013, 17:48
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
LOL - thought that's what you meant the first time. There are quite a lot of screenies I hadn't seen before there, as well.
It appeared first on the Steam database before being available on the store web site.

More news: Demonicon is also coming to Steam!

http://steamdb.info/app/215630/

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 5th, 2013, 17:55
Demonicon is not something I'd wait if GOG adds it, first site with preorder option gets my cash. Amazon and it's nondigital versions of course excluded, it shoves me off (region idiocy).

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 5th, 2013, 18:05
Hmmm, I never played the originals I think. I'll be paying attention to this once its released.

Toff

Sentinel

July 6th, 2013, 01:18
pre-purchased it in Steam!

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

July 11th, 2013, 00:41
Originally Posted by Gokyabgu View Post
Some time ago in 2012 I was playing Shadow of Riva. Although the game was awesome, 320*200 resolution were tiring to the eyes. I remember saying how it would be nice to see the game in high resolution, because artworks were really awesome. It seems my prayers were answered. Now I want Betrayal at Krondor HD and Wizards&Warriors HD remakes, also brand new M&M and Wizardry games would be nice. Please God, hear me.
You must not have heard, Might and Magic X was announced and it'll be in the style of World of Xeen. They even have the community active in helping design certain parts of the game.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx

PegasusOrgans

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Realms of Arkania - HD Remake Announced!