|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » WoW - Microtransactions Confirmed

Default WoW - Microtransactions Confirmed

July 10th, 2013, 02:18
Battle.net has word that the new version 5.4 patch for World of Warcraftis available, and confirms their adding in-game micro-transactions. Blizzard had this to say on this topic.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone. We’re still pretty early in the exploration process, but we did want to go into more detail about our rationale for introducing an in-game store, as well as provide some insight into what you might ultimately see available there.

For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear. We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system, though there’s quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system.

First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game.

Ultimately it’s still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll check out the in-game store once it’s implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 10th, 2013, 02:18
Isn't WoW already hemorrhaging audience share?

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

July 10th, 2013, 03:23
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Isn't WoW already hemorrhaging audience share?
Well there slowly declining but not fast enough to worry about. This is just a way to make billions more than they have already.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 10th, 2013, 04:38
This may end up increasing the loss of players if they don't do it correctly. If they just stick to visual and convenience items it probably won't hurt them. (even though technically the convenience items are illegal but since they are totally optional nothing will probably come of it)

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

July 10th, 2013, 06:25
Blizzard has made a couple of my favorite games, but I really don't like where they seem to be heading

rossrjensen

Sentinel

July 10th, 2013, 08:16
Remember when Blizzard were good? Man….

Yme

Sentinel

July 10th, 2013, 12:29
The Warcraft series (not wow) are the only blizzard titles I've liked. So for me blizzard hasn't been good in a long time.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 10th, 2013, 12:34
Blizzard used to be one of my favorite developers, but they've changed over the years and so has my taste. I still haven't even played the expansion for Starcraft II yet, and I'm not sure if I will.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 10th, 2013, 12:38
While Blizzard have been going downhill for almost 10 years, you can hardly be upset over this micro crap. It's just the way things are today - and the fact that they've held back for this long is something I'd tend to appreciate rather than bitch about.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 10th, 2013, 13:38
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
and the fact that they've held back for this long is something I'd tend to appreciate rather than bitch about.
The only thing they have old back from is putting the store in the game (with more stuff in it). Buying cosmetic mounts and pets for WoW was already available through an external website.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

July 10th, 2013, 13:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Blizzard used to be one of my favorite developers, but they've changed over the years and so has my taste. I still haven't even played the expansion for Starcraft II yet, and I'm not sure if I will.
Hehe, sounds familiar. I bought it, installed it and never played it. Gonna get around to it one of these days, but there's no rush.

Yme

Sentinel

July 10th, 2013, 13:40
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The only thing they have old back from is putting the store in the game (with more stuff in it). Buying cosmetic mounts and pets for WoW was already available through an external website.
Yep, but that's pretty minor.

Almost all major MMOs have in-game stores and have had them for years.

Blizzard have been quite reluctant to join that obvious cash-train.

People are just whining about this on principle.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 10th, 2013, 15:30
I didn't like it when Sony brought them into EQ, but honestly, it hasn't affected me at all. As long as they aren't selling raid loot, I don't care about the fluff crap. As far as WoW goes, I found that game so cartoony and flat-out easy/fugly that I could only handle it for a week, and that was like 8-9 yrs ago.

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

July 10th, 2013, 15:49
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Almost all major MMOs have in-game stores and have had them for years.
I know that from DDO & SWTOR (added in the latter in the last months of the last year, if I remember correctly).

And for SWTOR, EA stated once that Microtransactions are a huge seccess (although not citing SWTOR directly). And, even more, against common belief they also stated at one point that it is rather the subscribers - read : the more entitled players - who bought there, not the F2P players (the community fully believed it to be the other way round).

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 10th, 2013, 17:01
The reason why it would be the subscribers that buy the stuff in the Cartel Market in SwTOR instead of the F2P players is because the F2P players are so restricted compared to the subscribers that there really is no reason to buy anything. If they would either remove the heavy restrictions or make what the subscribers have available in the Cartel Market there probably would be far more purchases made by F2P players then subscribers. The F2P players probably just play through the story lines and not really do much else.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

July 10th, 2013, 19:07
Nah, I've been playing SW:TOR quite a bit as F2P, and have bought several account-wide unlocks that have brought my game experience up to almost the same point as subscribers. The biggest thing I've been unable to get around is the credit limit, but that just means I spend more credits on frivolous stuff than I otherwise would to stay under the cap, and I'll just never be a high roller.

What I'm finding about a lot of these F2P games is that it's possible to spend $30-$60 in one-time purchases to bring you almost to the same level as subscribers. Obviously there are some moderate exceptions here and there, but I like the idea of owning these games instead of renting them, and knowing I can take a break and go back at any time to continue playing without worrying about a subscription lapsing. I'm actually becoming a bit of a fan of this financial model.

Fantasm

Watchdog

July 10th, 2013, 20:24
News article is somewhat wrong. 5.4 patch isn't "available" yet, it's just being tested. It's been available for testing for well over a month, so this is nothing new.

Also, WoW has had pets/mounts you can buy with RL money for years now, it's just that the purchase was done on the website, instead of in the game. The fact that's moving to some kind of in-game vendor is hardly news. Also, if you consider these microtransactions (which you probably should), then WoW has already had microtransactions for 3-4 years now.

The only thing actually new here is that they're "looking into" selling Lesser Charms (which are currently obtained via various activities in game, essentially a timesink), and also an experience buff in Asia.

Stingray

Sentinel

July 10th, 2013, 20:54
is this the start of WoW going F2P?

Is DDO now the WoW killer?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

July 10th, 2013, 21:57
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
is this the start of WoW going F2P?

Is DDO now the WoW killer?
why go F2P when you still have 8 million subscribers? Probably better to just add a cash shop for the moment as they are doing. Later, when the numbers drop a bit further, they can make subscription a premium thing and add a limited F2P option.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

July 10th, 2013, 22:25
I assumed he was being sarcastic, since the whole "WoW Killer / going F2P" is sort of a running joke on WoW/MMO forums. Maybe not, though…

Stingray

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » WoW - Microtransactions Confirmed