|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » Texas man in jail for joke?

Default Texas man in jail for joke?

July 10th, 2013, 11:18
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Land of the free and the home of the brave, eh?
Hasn't been land of the free for awhile now. I have seen many cases like this over the last 15 years.

No one has the right to say whatever you want. That's not the meaning of free speech either according to the supreme court. Just look at the various cases over the years.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 10th, 2013 at 12:52.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

July 10th, 2013, 12:06
Coyote, thank for the petition link. I've signed it and hopefully it helps in some way.

Couchpotato I've heard that hate speech is allowed under the freedom of speech, is that true? Because that makes imprisoning an 18 year old over a sarcastic comment all the more ridiculous.

Which reminds me of this picture I saw. Probably one of the saddest things I've seen

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 10th, 2013, 12:22
Originally Posted by Dr. A View Post
Couchpotato I've heard that hate speech is allowed under the freedom of speech, is that true? Because that makes imprisoning an 18 year old over a sarcastic comment all the more ridiculous.
In theory yes but lately it depends. Hate speech and bullying seem be the new targets to make examples of people.

It's hard to abolish the amendments and all the government can do is alter them a little. All that means is there working as the founding fathers planned.

To sum it up what everyone needs to realize is they can say whatever they want, but they better be ready for the consequences.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

July 10th, 2013, 14:44
Hate speech is largely protected so long as it does not include a direct threat. It can however be used as an enhancer to a crime charge though.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

July 10th, 2013, 18:14
From what I have observed, so called hate speech is in the ear of the beholder!! Sometimes 'truth' can be construed as hate speech. We had an incident a few years ago where a Christian minister made a comment about Muslims based on what the Koran said and he was taken to court for hate speech by a Muslim even though what he said was the truth about their beliefs. He won, eventually in court!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

July 11th, 2013, 04:31
I don't think it's a good idea to criticise the faith of people based on their religious text. It can go both ways

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

July 11th, 2013, 05:38
Errr, Corwin? Which "he" won? Kinda hard to comment on the case when I know nothing about it and not so much about Australian law but I think it would be really easy to pull off plenty of hate speech just by quoting the bible. Heck, I bet you could pull off something pretty blistering using Leviticus alone.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

July 11th, 2013, 08:01
This case is a gray area for first amendment coverage. Obscenity is not covered by the first amendment but there is not a black and white set of criteria for defining it either. Also, there's precedent for the first amendment not providing protection for credible/probable threats. Considering the kid lived near a school, coupled with the heightened paranoia from Sandy Hook, there may be an argument there, depending on the judge. How this case will proceed will hinge on whether or not the "lol j/k" was indeed part of the posts as the defendant claims or not.
Last edited by greywolf00; July 11th, 2013 at 08:31.

greywolf00

Sentinel

July 11th, 2013, 18:35
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Errr, Corwin? Which "he" won? Kinda hard to comment on the case when I know nothing about it and not so much about Australian law but I think it would be really easy to pull off plenty of hate speech just by quoting the bible. Heck, I bet you could pull off something pretty blistering using Leviticus alone.
Sorry, the minister won. What he said using the Koran was not criticism, he basically just quoted from it, but some Muslims objected to him doing that. Strangely, when they mis-represented what the Bible says, nothing happened.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

July 11th, 2013, 22:13
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Land of the free and the home of the brave, eh?

The quote was brought to the attention of the police by a woman in Canada, probably the model of politeness.
sorry?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

July 12th, 2013, 08:42
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
In theory yes but lately it depends. Hate speech and bullying seem be the new targets to make examples of people.

It's hard to abolish the amendments and all the government can do is alter them a little. All that means is there working as the founding fathers planned.

To sum it up what everyone needs to realize is they can say whatever they want, but they better be ready for the consequences.
Yeah the founding fathers wanted the government to work like bioware boards.

Everyone disagreeing or criticizing is a troll/ hate speech. Then round them up and do as they like.

The whole point of revolution was to get out from under the thumb of oppressive government that killed people based on their religion, politics, or just for the hell of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Devlin

Just one of millions, but in her case she didn't DO anything and they basically killed her and her whole family just to force her to testify against someone.
Last edited by ManWhoJaped; July 12th, 2013 at 08:55.

ManWhoJaped

Keeper of the Watch

July 12th, 2013, 11:44
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
sorry?
No problem, it's fine.

coyote

Sentinel

July 12th, 2013, 12:03
Jailing this kid for being ignorant and foolish sounds like just the thing to do if you're not very bright or you actually want to cause more harm.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 13th, 2013, 05:12
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Jailing this kid for being ignorant and foolish sounds like just the thing to do if you're not very bright or you actually want to cause more harm.
Or if appeasing the vast dumb masses is vital to your career…

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

Tags
free speech, lol, terrorism, texas
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » Texas man in jail for joke?