|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

July 11th, 2013, 08:17
Been playing Borderlands 2 for the last month or so, the new character Kreig and the Dragon Keep DLC are both solid additions to the game.

Yeah, I haven't posted for a long time but my usual forum is mostly full of console gamers now, and I stick out like a sore thumb.

Sin

Recluse

July 17th, 2013, 19:48
I played Ringrunner : Flight of the Sages recently released kickstarter game for around 4-5 hours so far,I can't pick or customize my ship yet(that feature should unlock on 1/3 of campaign). I like this game a lot so far.Game is very fast paced, more than similar games(Star control 2, Space pirates and zombies) .By gameplay it's most similar to wormhole part of space rangers 2.On kickstarter page they devs mentioned MOBA games as influence and I can definitively see it in abilities design, they can be comboed together but it requires good reflexes and precision.Combat better than any similar game imo.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

July 17th, 2013, 23:10
After playing some Heroes of Might and Magic 2 on my laptop while on holiday, I've restarted King's Bounty: Armored Princess. Such overlooked games.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

July 18th, 2013, 22:18
I just got Dark Souls: PTD in the summer Steam sale, and I am completely flabbergasted to discover that it is not just a direct XBox port, but a direct XBox port - the tutorial is given entirely in terms of an XBox controller's buttons and analog sticks, so I'm basically just hitting my keyboard at random trying to figure out what maps to what.

I had thought that the people who wanted more of an upgrade for the PC version were kind of being whiners, but this is astonishingly slapdash.

RedSocialKnight

Thou Hast Lost an Eighth!

July 19th, 2013, 05:28
I'm playing SW The Old Republic. It's pretty average really. Ok I'm not a huge fan of MMOs but the gameplay is repetitive even for an MMO. Early days though yet, I haven't got my spaceship so maybe it will pick up.

But it's free so can't really complain!

My old computer isn't really powerful enough for it so that's detracting a bit from the experience. Shame that.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

July 19th, 2013, 08:52
"Almost" finished Batman Arkham Asylum.

I was quite enjoying it at first - but I actually quit playing after encounting the third ultra annoying boss fight in a row at the end of the game.

I was playing on hard - but it wasn't that hard, really - just frustrating because of camera and control issues. The last few fights had so much needless repetition and an archaic way of challenging you that I just stopped. Usually, I OCD that kind of thing - because I haven't completed a game until I've actually beaten everything fair and square, but I guess I've gotten old.

As far as I'm concerned, I beat the game.

But it also reminded me of how much I hate traditional boss fights - even in a game like this, where you're sure to encounter them. I loved the initial stages of the game - because it was more about discovery and exploration. Pretty soon, it devolved into trivial back and forth fetch quests - and predictable combat setups.

It reminded me a lot of Bioshock, actually. In that same way, it was too short - too fetch questy, too cramped, too fight-oriented, and so on. The good bits were the same as in Bioshock, namely exploration and finding audio logs.

Also, both games have wonderful premises with great locations - and both games have stories that sort of fizzle out around half-way through.

I have to give it credit for an excellent atmosphere, though - and all the production values are top notch. I was particularly impressed by the animations and character model artwork.

But it was too much arcade beat-em up and too little stealth/exploration for my tastes.

I've installed Arkham City - and I'll see if I can stand more of the same. I know it's more open world - but I'm not expecting it to break from the formula all that much.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 19th, 2013, 09:17
I thought the boss fights in Arkham City were a bit less annoying and repetitive, but you'll have to wait and see what you think. The controls are also a bit less awkward, too.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2013, 13:23
Are we gonna argue about crosshairs in FPS games next?

Anyway, back on topic. I'm finally forcing myself to get past the uber-vampire lameness of Dawnguard with a new heavy battlemage. It always annoys me when you can only access new spells, equipment, and areas in an expansion by playing through it. At least Dragonborn was better in that regard and let you go right to Solsteim and wander around.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2013, 13:25
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
Are we gonna argue about crosshairs in FPS games next?
STOP TELLING ME WHERE TO AIM!

I'm not retarded!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 19th, 2013, 16:09
Playing System Shock 2 now - what a game. If I want to summarise this game it would have to be like this (following description will explain this equality - also notice that the order of this equality by time precendence):

Dark Souls == System Shock 2

I was amazed by SS2 atmosphere, difficulty level (I died alot), the interconnectivity of the levels, the exploration aspects, the amazing level design, the various and detailed skill levels, the intended respawning and therefore the incredible balance of all these aspects in the gameplay. It also has rough like features in that the initial skill set can initially determine your survival in the initial stages. I found all of this in Dark Souls (although on a smaller scale and in space) and hence the equality (and lets not forget the quantum disentanglement booths and bonefires!).

Truley amazing game and well ahead of its time.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2013, 16:12
Dark Souls == System Shock 2
Do you have a deathwish?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 19th, 2013, 16:22
SpoonFULL, first time playing SS2? I envy you right now.

It's definitely one of my all-time favorites. I can understand your comparisons between SS2 and Dark Souls, although I wouldn't quite put DS on the same level overall.

I also didn't find SS2 to be nearly as difficult as DS. It's challenging for sure, but not in the masochistic way that DS is sometimes.

@DArtagnan - Oh I'm sure if someone looked hard enough, they could find me bitching about pop-up icons in other games as well. It's been a pet peeve of mine for quite awhile. I just think they should at least be optional in most cases, but the majority of developers apparently disagree.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 19th, 2013, 16:31
Just finished M&M 6 last night, what a blast!! That was a solid 2 weeks entertainment right there….next up will be M&M 7, but I think I'm going to take a few days off games first!!

-Carn

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2013, 16:34
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Do you have a deathwish?
I had almost the exact same experience playing both (similar dreadded atmosphere where you can die any minute and there are many similarities between the mechanics of the two games).

I am just glad that they re-released SS2 on GoG - it is just plain briliance (like Dark Souls )

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2013, 16:41
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
SpoonFULL, first time playing SS2? I envy you right now.

It's definitely one of my all-time favorites. I can understand your comparisons between SS2 and Dark Souls, although I wouldn't quite put DS on the same level overall.

I also didn't find SS2 to be nearly as difficult as DS. It's challenging for sure, but not in the masochistic way that DS is sometimes.
I managed to survive longer periods of time in DS than in SS2! - I am doing better now after stopping and restarting again with more PSI skill set. At least now I know where some of the ideas in Dark Souls come from (world connectivity, balancing skill set with game mechanics linked with level and world design, creepy atmospher, respawns .. etc.).

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch

July 19th, 2013, 22:44
Moved the UI Batman discussion to here: http://rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21219

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 19th, 2013, 22:54
Been playing Xcom Enemy Unknown and having a blast. Although I do wish the missions would sometimes give you a reprieve and allows your soldiers to come back from the I.C.U. and your research to finish before having to go out on yet another assignment.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

July 19th, 2013, 23:22
Mentioned Sims Medieval in another thread and hell, it's been a year or two I haven't played it.
It's now restored and I'm (re)playing it.
I'm silly I know…

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

July 21st, 2013, 12:38
I liked it very much.
And I need to continue playing it as well …

To me, it's an very refreshing different take on gaining experience as a character …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 21st, 2013, 13:20
Indeed. I've been thinking about dipping back into it, but I've got other games I should finish first. It's a shame they didn't offer more than the one kingdom to play in.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?