|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RoA: Blade of Destiny - Several Patches Released

Default RoA: Blade of Destiny - Several Patches Released

August 4th, 2013, 22:53
While the Blade of Destiny remake obviously has been released in an unfinished state, there's also good news: So far the developers are releasing a patch every 1-2 days, usually at 8 pm CET. Here is the patch log for v1.07. I'll post the other logs in the news thread.

Patch 1.07 - August 4th, 2013 (8pm GMT+2)
Character: Fix hang for All negative attributes mined
Character: Recalculate Armor mali on Levelup
Trade: Fix free Healers
Tavern: Fix wrong dialogs Branches
System: Performance Setting impact vastly improved
Towns: Improved Animations of the new NPCs
Dungeon: Fix Old Bailey Quest
Dungeon: Fix empty chests in spidercave (only works with new games as chest status resides in Savegame after first entrance)
Camp: Waterskin refill fixed
Dungeon: Fix pirate cave door
Camp: Fix Savegame Time forward
Towns: Add “Master Dramosh” in front of Old Bailey
Towns: Leave House Tooltip fixed
Questbook: Actually hide Hidden quests
Townmap Rybon fixed
.System: Fixed Save/Load-Game-Error on with new Characters, old Savegames should work again

In the works (on top of the schedule):
- Fight Fleeing NPCs (time ran out because of the performance update)
- Class-Specific Equipment Restrictions (the same)
- More Dungeon Fixes
- More Bugfixes, as always
All patch logs and the plans for the next few patches can be found in the official forum.

Thanks HiddenX!

More information.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

Change logs for …

Spoiler – Patch 1.07a

Spoiler – Patch 1.07

Spoiler – Patch 1.06

Spoiler – Patch 1.05

Spoiler – Patch 1.04

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

Patch plans:

Spoiler – Schedule for 1.08

Spoiler – Schedule for 1.09

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 4th, 2013, 23:04
The damage as they say is done. Any game that requires more than one patch on Day 1 just to be playable is a mess.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 4th, 2013, 23:23
Yes. The damage is done and the project ruined.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 4th, 2013, 23:28
Or they try a new way of marketing:

Bad news sells better than No news.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 4th, 2013, 23:33
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Or they try a new way of marketing:

Bad news sells better than No news.
It worked for other studios.

I don't mean to be negative with my earlier post it's just a game should be playable on release. I can tolerate bugs but not when the game is a mess.

Look at Sword of the Stars 2: Lords of Winter as another example. Almost two years later after countless patches it's finally playable. That is nothing to be proud of.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 4th, 2013, 23:49
Won't suggest this was a scam like that other thread but it the amount of free alpha-beta testing they got is suspicious to say the least.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

August 5th, 2013, 00:16
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
The damage as they say is done. Any game that requires more than one patch on Day 1 just to be playable is a mess.
No it isn't - if they fix it up and it's a good game a lot of people will play it and I'll be one. Just think of it as releasing the beta by mistake. On Kickstarter people pay a lot of money to play the beta! Besides, we can't afford to give up the chance of getting a decent RPG, since they are very thin on the ground right now, unless you like adventure games or beat em ups with a few stats thrown in.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

August 5th, 2013, 00:17
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Yes. The damage is done and the project ruined.
Is it?

If they get it all patched and fixed don't you think everyone that wants it will just get it then or play the copy they already bought.

I'm sure some will stick to their guns but it seems most gamers will bitch and threaten but once a game is fixed they will flock back to it.

I'm not happy about its release state but if they fix it I will just play it then. If they never fix it, we'll that's another story.

sakichop

SasqWatch

August 5th, 2013, 01:09
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
No it isn't - if they fix it up and it's a good game a lot of people will play it and I'll be one. Just think of it as releasing the beta by mistake.
There's no mistake here though. 10 minutes of testing by even the least competent QA person ever would have revealed numerous reasons that this game never should have been released. It's ludicrous that it's still being sold as a product on Steam, it should have been yanked days ago. If we were still in the days of PC games being sold in stores, it would have been taken off the shelves.

Sure, there's no reason not to play the game, if they do ever get it into a state where it is playable and enjoyable to play, but that doesn't excuse the above.

Stingray

Sentinel

August 5th, 2013, 02:34
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
There's no mistake here though. 10 minutes of testing by even the least competent QA person ever would have revealed numerous reasons that this game never should have been released. It's ludicrous that it's still being sold as a product on Steam, it should have been yanked days ago. If we were still in the days of PC games being sold in stores, it would have been taken off the shelves.

Sure, there's no reason not to play the game, if they do ever get it into a state where it is playable and enjoyable to play, but that doesn't excuse the above.
So you think that they should not have released it rather then release it and then patch it like they are doing. In the first case no one would be able to play it and it would have been a financial disaster for Coreplay which has the potential of causing small developers to go out of business. For the second case people get to play it and eventually the game gets fixed which will potentially avert any financial issues the company would have had but not necessarily.

What you mentioned about games being pulled off of the shelves is not entirely true. There were a few games that were in pretty horrible condition on release that never got pulled from the shelves like Ultima 9.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

August 5th, 2013, 02:49
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
So you think that they should not have released it rather then release it and then patch it like they are doing. In the first case no one would be able to play it and it would have been a financial disaster for Coreplay which has the potential of causing small developers to go out of business.
Of course it shouldn't have been released. Are you even serious? Why would you think it's reasonable for people to sell games they haven't even finished, as if they're completed products.

What you mentioned about games being pulled off of the shelves is not entirely true. There were a few games that were in pretty horrible condition on release that never got pulled from the shelves like Ultima 9.
I bought Ultima 9 when it came out, and you're right, it wasn't in great shape. So I waited until later to play it, because Ultima meant a lot to me and I didn't want that experience tarnished. But that game was playable, if you wanted to. I knew many people who did play it on release. Nothing like this game. Most of its actual issues were due to not testing against a wide enough variety of graphics hardware, this game has no such excuses.

Stingray

Sentinel

August 5th, 2013, 03:43
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
No it isn't - if they fix it up and it's a good game a lot of people will play it and I'll be one.
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Is it?

If they get it all patched and fixed don't you think everyone that wants it will just get it then or play the copy they already bought.
The damage IS done. No one who isn't a hardcore old-school RPG gamer will buy this at this point - and they have basically eliminated the possibility of broadening the audience. Folks such as myself who wrote about it before-hand were asked to render a verdict, and by and large the verdict is 'it might be playable after a few weeks or so, but if you haven't played and enjoyed the originals or games that are 20+ years old … skip this one, it will never appeal to you'.

I would say they have cut their sales to perhaps 25% of the potential. At best.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 5th, 2013, 03:51
oh the apologists come out in droves, rest assured 1 year will make a huge difference in game quality, and i fully expect the price to be oh around 99 cents about that time too.

cptbarkey

Sentinel

August 5th, 2013, 04:45
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
The damage IS done. No one who isn't a hardcore old-school RPG gamer will buy this at this point - and they have basically eliminated the possibility of broadening the audience. Folks such as myself who wrote about it before-hand were asked to render a verdict, and by and large the verdict is 'it might be playable after a few weeks or so, but if you haven't played and enjoyed the originals or games that are 20+ years old … skip this one, it will never appeal to you'.

I would say they have cut their sales to perhaps 25% of the potential. At best.
But is that because of the broken release or because its an old school game that wouldn't appeal to a new generation with just a new coat of polish?

I doubt if it were released 100% bug free that it would have appealed to a broad audience. The core game would still be what it is.

That's why I said the people who want it would still buy it as long as they fix it. The others wouldn't have bought it regardless of its release state.

sakichop

SasqWatch

August 5th, 2013, 04:52
I'm disappointed by the release, but I'm still looking forward to playing this game. If they keep releasing patches at the rate they are now, it should be very playable in a few weeks.

The devs should be embarrassed though. I hope they learned from this…

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 5th, 2013, 05:27
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
But is that because of the broken release or because its an old school game that wouldn't appeal to a new generation with just a new coat of polish?
Both - because with the new look, and with a reasonable 'tutorial' or at least some intro tips, the game could have broadened appeal. I am not thinking it would suddenly appeal to the simplified action-y 'Elder Scrolls' or Bioware crowd, but for people looking to go beyond those games it could have done OK.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 5th, 2013, 07:47
I agree that damage has been done but not that it is over-and-out. I have been watching this closely and once the game is in a very playable state (i.e. release worthy) then I will look for reviews and see if it is something I may want to buy. I enjoyed the original a whole lot so I am very hopeful this can be fixed.

NFLed

Sentinel

August 5th, 2013, 07:52
Version 1.09 is released.

The devs don't sleep much these days - props for that.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RoA: Blade of Destiny - Several Patches Released